Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AN4RCHID

Arcane
C2vWZaoUsAILSeo.jpg:large
male_human_f_jes_lg.png
???

Hyperion

Arcane
I didn't play Tyranny. What do you mean by this?

Your PC has 20 resolve, Eder has 20 Endurance, GM has 20 dexterity, Zahua has 20 strength, Durance has 20 intelligence, Sagani has 20 Perception, congrats you can access all dialogue checks!

I'd have to imagine they're smart enough to venture down this path...

Prime Junta

So, anyone care to speculate what "the luminous" refers to?

It's obviously something with commercial or practical value. It's presumably something that's emerged in the Deadfire Archipelago, drawing all these vultures from Rauatai and the Republics there (and the Watcher obviously). Eothas is the god of light. Could the luminous be His divine... essence, which can be harnessed somehow using animancy?

Prime Junta

Didn't the Godhammer destroy him soul and all, though?

What exactly it did was left open. It certainly destroyed his avatar, and Eothas himself had not been heard of since. However it was strongly hinted that he might eventually return, and in fact the WM expansion was all about a similar event in the past -- a god being killed and then reborn.

Modron

Arcane

What exactly it did was left open. It certainly destroyed his avatar, and Eothas himself had not been heard of since. However it was strongly hinted that he might eventually return, and in fact the WM expansion was all about a similar event in the past -- a god being killed and then reborn.
Yeah but his return was him being rebuilt by another god wasn't it? I guess Woedica could have remade Eothas in secret in order to have an ally against Magran or Wael could have as well just to mess with everything.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think NWN2 (OC and MotB) handled companions passing checks very well. They logically intervened, according to their characters, when you failed a check. At the top of my head - Bishop passed a bluff check for you when confronting the githyanki and Gann passed a persuasion check when talking to Kaelyn for the first time. It was severely underutilized however. It shows that their characters are more than the numbers on their spreadsheets and have skills unrelated to their builds, which is always a plus when talking about companions.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Like the previous Rauatai companion, it sounds like this guy will represent the more militant/mercenary aspect of his culture compared to Kana/Pallegina.

Sentinel

Arcane
What the fuck is "per complanca"?
I thought it was italian, but I'm pretty sure I've never heard that anywhere. Google doesn't bring anything up either.

Modron

Arcane
I think NWN2 (OC and MotB) handled companions passing checks very well. They logically intervened, according to their characters, when you failed a check. At the top of my head - Bishop passed a bluff check for you when confronting the githyanki and Gann passed a persuasion check when talking to Kaelyn for the first time. It was severely underutilized however. It shows that their characters are more than the numbers on their spreadsheets and have skills unrelated to their builds, which is always a plus when talking about companions.
Skill checks kind of lose their appeal in party games, oh I'll have each character specialize in 1-2 skills never fail one check ever approach begs the question why there are checks in the first place though are they some kind of tard trap? I mean all checks basically boil down to come back at the right level then.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, anyone care to speculate what "the luminous" refers to?

It's obviously something with commercial or practical value. It's presumably something that's emerged in the Deadfire Archipelago, drawing all these vultures from Rauatai and the Republics there (and the Watcher obviously). Eothas is the god of light. Could the luminous be His divine... essence, which can be harnessed somehow using animancy?
Interesting theory, only I don't think Eothas' essense has any business being in Deadfire. Also not sure why everyone keeps focusing on Deadfire, to me the maritime theme suggests we might visit other places as well.
What the fuck is "per complanca"?
I thought it was italian, but I'm pretty sure I've never heard that anywhere. Google doesn't bring anything up either.
Faux italian aka Vailian? I googled it too and apparently Renengild says it at some point.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Skill checks kind of lose their appeal in party games, oh I'll have each character specialize in 1-2 skills never fail one check ever approach begs the question why there are checks in the first place though are they some kind of tard trap? I mean all checks basically boil down to come back at the right level then.

Exactly, you just level up all skills across 6 different characters and go with it. It feels very gamey. That's why the NWN2 approach is better and more narratively sound, it requires more work though (more writing mainly). They shouldn't do it ALL the time obviously, just when it makes sense.

Xeon

Augur
I kinda thought the skill check are similar to the story like skill checks, for example in one area IIRC there is a bridge and each party member needed to pass Athletic or be injured I think.

The pencil looking cut scenes I mean.

Sentinel

Arcane

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yes, the grinning 3d models from Tyranny were freaking terrible.

Prime Junta

Interesting theory, only I don't think Eothas' essense has any business being in Deadfire. Also not sure why everyone keeps focusing on Deadfire, to me the maritime theme suggests we might visit other places as well.

They've been dropping heavy hints that it is, indeed, the Deadfire Archipelago, just possibly starting from one of the Vailian Republics. The Rauatai quote certainly describes the place.

Hyperion

Arcane
Maybe the Godhammer sent a piece of Eothas flying and it landed in the Deadfire Aprchipelago somewhere. Or someone had a relic of his that contained part of him, such as his shining, "luminous" crown he's known for and was shipwrecked on a voyage. Now everyone is out to search for it in hopes of power. Pillars of the Lost Ark 2, basically.

If this is the case, having Durance in the party is a must for when you finally find it and he blows his lid.

Sentinel

Arcane

They've been dropping heavy hints that it is, indeed, the Deadfire Archipelago, just possibly starting from one of the Vailian Republics. The Rauatai quote certainly describes the place.
Didn't Sawyer straight up publish a pic of a world map some time ago on his instagram?
I'm pretty sure I remember something like that. It had A LOT of water.

Prime Junta

Didn't Sawyer straight up publish a pic of a world map some time ago on his instagram?
I'm pretty sure I remember something like that. It had A LOT of water.

Did. It was a snap of a screen though, with no detail, and no guarantee that it was all the world map.

2house2fly

Magister

Edit:
Except for ones that require 21...

...It was an example.
The point being, if the game is designed to allow characters to contribute to skill checks (the screenshot that showed this had the player character's Athletics as 4 and Eder's as 3 for an effective Athletics score of 7) then one character maxing out one skill likely won't get you everything. If your PC has 20 resolve and the highest any party members have is 10 then you're still failing a Resolve check of 31.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom