Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion turns 10 years old

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Lxnxo73.jpg

I propose to change officially the Rpg Codex Calendar Era: O.E. (post-Oblivion) and B.O.E. (pre-Oblivion Era)

We are living in the year 11 O.E.

Planescape was released in 7 B.O.E.

Ultima I was released in 14 B.O.E.

Newfag milestone could be 2 O.E. and all the later.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Gothic3FSG_Shot_200211_01.jpg

It's plain that it's the same engine, but theres a bit more depth to the scenery. More details with varied vegetation along rivers and so forth.
Eh is that Gothic 3? If it is, the games do not use the same engine.

Epsilon

Cipher

Deleted Member 16721

Disclaimer - I'm not posting this to shill my YouTube :), but I do have a Let's Play in 4K for Oblivion that I did recently. I used a bunch of "big" mods, such as Better Cities, Better Imperial City, Open Cities, graphical enhancements, etc., so you can see what it looks like today in 4K.

Second disclaimer - You might have to jump a few episodes in to see the mods activate properly and the YT videos display in 4K. Also, I have since learned more about graphical enhancements and mods, so this is by no means the "end all be all" of Oblivion 4K modding. I'm sure it could look better.

Enjoy! :)

pippin

"I'm not shilling guys"

*proceeds to shill*

also Anvil best city. Delete your account.

Deleted Member 16721

The definition of shill is:

a person who pretends to give an impartial endorsement of something in which they themselves have an interest.

I shared this particular series because some people here might be interested in seeing it, being that at the time I made the videos there were ZERO videos on YouTube showing Oblivion in 4K with all those enhanced mods. I am not interested in the 3 cents I will make when you all watch the videos.

pippin

Nah, it's ok. But it could help if you at least provided links, I guess.

Deleted Member 16721

Nah, it's ok. But it could help if you at least provided links, I guess.

Anyone interested can click the link to my YouTube channel in my signature and search my channel for either '4K' or "Oblivion" and take a peek at whatever you'd like. :) Note - A couple of the early episodes aren't available in 4K, but everything past Episode 3 should be viewable in 2160p60.

Here's one link to get started. This video shows a bit of Better Imperial City in 4K.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
40 minutes of you looking at whats on the shelves. Oh boy a golden plate! My gosh an apple!

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
There was a mod called open cities or something that remade cities as worldmap locations, so stuff like the above doesn't happen and you can enter a city without seeing a loading screen.

Deleted Member 16721

There was a mod called open cities or something that remade cities as worldmap locations, so stuff like the above doesn't happen and you can enter a city without seeing a loading screen.

Yeah, I think later in the LP I added Open Cities and it worked pretty well. Not sure if that's on camera or not. It is a cool mod but taxing on your PC. So are the Better Cities/Better Imperial City mods, but they are way cooler, IMO, as they add a bunch of new stuff to the cities. That's why I'm looking at all the shelves and shops in that episode. :)

Deleted Member 16721

Oh, and P.S. - The 4K LP I did for Oblivion also shows off Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, i.e. the overhaul/rebalancing mod that removes/heavily tweaks the level-scaling in the game! So you can check out the LP for that as well. I rather like the OOO mod because dungeons and encounters are no longer hard level-scaled, so you can potentially find a very difficult dungeon at early level (which I did often), or an easier dungeon later on, etc. The rewards for such dungeons are more hand-placed as well, and "meaningful" in that way. Also, there is a cool mechanic in the mod that makes dungeons that are more remote/farther from the road often more difficult, so exploration is really good when using this mod.

If interested feel free to browse through the LP. And if you have hardware capable you can do so in sweet 2160p60. :)

Deleted Member 16721

I know that's hyperbole and all but come on, Oblivion has a bunch of good qualities. It's got a pleasant open-world, beautiful soundtrack and more charm than you can shake a wooden club at. It also still has pen-and-paper style rules with stats, etc., and it's just a nice game to spend a few (hundred) hours in.

Get yourself the OOO mod and you'll be playing an open-world RPG without level scaling.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Im sure theyve played Skyrim. No harm if they want to go back to Oblivion. He is right thought, i mean its not that great of an RPG but for an open world romp around a fantasy land smashing monsters you can do a lot worse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom