Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas has a stupid plot... but i like it!

Master

Arbiter
FNV spolers!

You have to admit NV has a pretty unbelievable plot - a chip that unlocks HIDDEN ROCKETS inside Securitron robots. And whoever has the chip, controls the army of rocket firing robots and thus - the world. Of course! Its so cartooney that i cant hate it. It makes me think of that Wile E Coyote episode with rocket powered roller skates.

Yeah its stupid but at least its funny unlike the whole Legion idea which is just stupid. In the end it kinda redeems the game.

pippin

Think about the Chip as an USB drive. Then NV's plot might be one of the most carefully done out of all the Fallout games, probably. Also, the Chip is just a minor yet important part of the game's plot.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
a chip that unlocks HIDDEN ROCKETS inside Securitron robots. And whoever has the chip, controls the army of rocket firing robots and thus - the world. Of course! Its so cartooney that i cant hate it. It makes me think of that Wile E Coyote episode with rocket powered roller skates.
It was pretty reasonable to me, House had limited time to work and couldn't get software sooner. War started before chip made it to Vegas, so he lsot it. Then he spent nearly 1 mln caps to find it. And he won't control the world, simply make Secunitrons and thus Vegas more dangereous and safer. It far from cartoon.

Yeah its stupid but at least its funny unlike the whole Legion idea which is just stupid. In the end it kinda redeems the game.
For video games (and especially for new generation fallouts) standards Legion is very good.

Severian Silk

Legion was lame.

[edit]

AoD is lame too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Master

Arbiter
No i get the how and why House did it but its when you follow it through that it just breaks. Like how many rockets can fit inside a securitron robot? What happens when they run out of them? And what if theres a fight in the middle of town, then it wont matter who wins bcause everything will be fucked up... If you follow it through it just doesnt work but its kinda funny thinking about it.

The Legion was okay concept but for a gang like the Khans or Blades or something on that level. But a faction rivaling NCR and the rest - no fucking way.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
No i get the how and why House did it but its when you follow it through that it just breaks. Like how many rockets can fit inside a securitron robot? What happens when they run out of them? And what if theres a fight in the middle of town, then it wont matter who wins bcause everything will be fucked up... If you follow it through it just doesnt work but its kinda funny thinking about it.
Man, you are going too far. It's "why I have to shot someone 6 times to kill him" type of question. It's good when game mechanics cooperate with world but don't expect too much. What we have is already a lot.
I will replay entire fallout series soon so I will have better view of factions, maybe then I will discuss legion.

cruelio

Savant
I'm glad someone is blowing this insanity wide open. While we are at it: what's the deal with airline food?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

It makes as much sense as someone carrying a minigun with them all the time. Or a rocket launcher, for that matter, with spare rockets.

It would make for an interesting mechanic, though: exhaustion. You can only carry so much weight before your character is exhausted, meaning the miniguns and other types of weapons Super Mutants can carry would be limited to those specific locations.

the rocket launchers are already inside the robots, all the chip does is update the software to unlock access to the rocket launchers.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
the rocket launchers are already inside the robots, all the chip does is update the software to unlock access to the rocket launchers.

He actually talks about the amount of rockets that can fit inside a Securitron. Obviously, the Securitrons would resupply in the real world.

2house2fly

Magister
It doesn't just unlock the rocket launchers, they also have a grenade launcher and auto-repair systems. As for what happens when they run out of rockets, uhhhh load some more in??

cruelio

Savant
I don't like the house or yes man endings because a long term plan for keeping the robots supplied, maintained, and running is never established while you know how the other factions keep running. They're going to run out of rockets and robot parts eventually (plus also someone is going to realize there are pulse grenades lying around on the floors and shelves of every other random shack but that's op level nitpicking).

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
because a long term plan for keeping the robots supplied, maintained, and running is never established while you know how the other factions keep running
Not a big deal, by then you oght to have a 100 in Science and Repair.

cruelio

Savant
because a long term plan for keeping the robots supplied, maintained, and running is never established while you know how the other factions keep running

The Courier always wanders off to do Courier things so no dice there. Also way to assume my character build bigot.

2house2fly

Magister
Wasn't the place under the Legion camp also a factory?
I don't remember any dialogue where House goes into specifics on it being a factory or just a storage facility, but then he had to make them somewhere

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The Courier always wanders off to do Courier things so no dice there. Also way to assume my character build bigot.
Then Courier can probably supply them from the Big Empty. Yeah, now I'm assuming your quest completions too.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
And what if theres a fight in the middle of town, then it wont matter who wins bcause everything will be fucked up...
This isn't a problem at all...nothing in the game is destructible, so the buildings et cetera will all be fine. :M

Beastro

Arcane
The chips a shining example of a MacGuffin. It's main purpose is to set the game in motion the way the writers intended and to force the characters into the situations they wanted to explore the themes they wanted to deal with.

Master

Arbiter
(plus also someone is going to realize there are pulse grenades

Pulse grenades, i forgot about them. Thats how i dealt with those bots in the Masters base. Had to backtrack all the way to the Hub for some grenades. But only one was needed, and took out 4-5 of those fuckers. So, its a whole new level of stupid then. Obsidian really didnt think this through.

2house2fly

Magister
A lot of pulse grenades in the west will have been hoovered up by the Brotherhood Of Steel, and the NCR keeps blowing them up. That's discounting the fact that House's strategy is specifically to make the NCR not want to fight him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom