Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Torment: Tides of Numenera Interactive Quest and Combat Trailers

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Colin McComb; InXile Entertainment; Techland; Torment: Tides of Numenera

I don't think inXile have a lot left to say about Torment: Tides of Numenera before the game releases, but their publishers Techland have been busy churning out trailer after trailer for it. The last two trailers they produced are actually kind of neat. The first one, which was released last week, offers a look at one of Torment's quests, specifically the Nychthemeron quest in Sagus Cliffs. Using the magic of YouTube annotations, you can play through the broad contours of the quest right inside the trailer, while Colin McComb narrates.

The second trailer, released today, is all about Torment's combat. From what I've heard on our forums, it's not very good, but the trailer does a good job of making it seem interesting, with information about character progression, the cypher system, class and companion abilities, the various options available in Crises, and the not-so-negative consequences of death.

Brian Fargo and the rest of the team recently went on a press tour to promote Torment, so there's probably going to be one last blast of publicity for the game before it comes out next month. I wonder if we'll hear anything about a certain stretch goal companion that hasn't been mentioned in a while. At least they're adding an option to disable Crisis hints.

Fairfax

Arcane
That combat trailer is pretty bad. It's edited like a tutorial, written like a dev dairy and narrated like a movie trailer.

Also, "look at these cool items, but keep in mind you can only use them once!". Is that supposed to be a selling point?

duanth123

Arcane
Ie, the best kind of trailer.

Good on them for telling potential players about a core aspect of the Cypher System rather than bullshitting them with "selling points".

False dilemma. They're stripping down the mystery and discovery that should be a central part of a torment game. So people aren't "confused", i.e., momentarily forced to think in game about its mechanics.

And in such a laughably stilted manner, with movie trailer voice

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
In order to make the game accessible to a wider audience, they are making these terrible, terrible trailers. We have been spoon-fed spoilers since the kickstarter. I mean, really. How tasteless can you be.

Rev

Arcane
In order to make the game accessible to a wider audience, they are making these terrible, terrible trailers. We have been spoon-fed spoilers since the kickstarter. I mean, really. How tasteless can you be.
In addition to that, they're also showing that fuckin' PS4 interface in every new video to try to pass the message to consoletards that this game is made for them, which is only triggering PC gamers since console users are not interested in this kind of games.
Goddamn Fargo, I hope he and Techland lose every last pennies they invested in this porting.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Techland will not lose anything because they are going to eat InXile profits. That's how publishers work. Is InXile another Interplay? Make your bets!

FeelTheRads

Arcane
In addition to that, they're also showing that fuckin' PS4 interface in every new video to try to pass the message to consoletards that this game is made for them, which is only triggering PC gamers since console users are not interested in this kind of games.

I just skipped through the videos, but unless I missed something it's the exact same interface as on the PC, save for the gaypad buttons indicators.
So there's no two UIs with the PC getting a speshul hardcore one.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yes, yes good. Leave not a single quality franchise unruined.

What has this to do with Planescape AD&D campaign setting which had exactly one PC adaptation?
It has the torment in the name so it's a franchise, duh.

Real Answer: It was broadcasted as a Planescape spiritual successor. Although I agree, it doesn't really do anything to the name unlike Wasteland 2 or Bards Tale 4 which are certainly sequels.

Last edited:

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
There are going to be inevitable comparisons and TToN already seems to have the upper hand by having a lot more interesting shit going on than Pillars of Blandness Eternity

Zeriel

Arcane
"Is it better than Pillars of Eternity?" is a standard set in the basement. Not exactly hard to clear that hurdle.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
We must keep our trust in Fargo, because he has already made Wasteland great again and he will do so again with Torment.

Crolug

Liturgist

True Torment game would never be accesible to a wider audience, if this one would I'd say it'll be a disaster

Darkzone

Arcane
We must keep our trust in Fargo, because he has already made Wasteland great again and he will do so again with Torment.
Burn!
This is sarcasm you RETARD. Did Fargo make Wasteland great AGAIN? Think young Lemmiwinks think!
Are you fucking retarded?
I knew this was sarcasm and i said with "Burn!" as a joke, because you are right on that and that Torment will be a mediocre game like Wasteland 2 and that you are tramping on the little hope that is left.
Have you heard me ever defend WL2 since its release? Have you ever heard me defend T:ToN since the beta. So before you accuse someome of not seeing sarcasm look first in the mirror and think a second time. INTJ is a joke, because you lack the analytical thinking ability and instead you are a only emotionally butthurt.
To quote Trump on all level in a famouse tweet: Apologize!

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Burn!
This is sarcasm you RETARD. Did Fargo make Wasteland great AGAIN? Think young Lemmiwinks think!
Are you fucking retarded?
I knew this was sarcasm and i said with "Burn!" as a joke, because you are right on that and that Torment will be a mediocre game like Wasteland 2 and that you are tramping on the little hope that is left.

Language differences... I thought "Burn!" was aimed directly at me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom