Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Doktor Best

Arcane
Nah guys, the key to success inside is to actually wear the ID-card in your utility slot (i thought its sufficient to have it in your inventory), so it definitely has a use inside. They detect nontheless if they come to close, but the area of detection is reduced from 6 squares to like 3 squares or something (they also have a different line of dialogue). It changes from being impossible to being tricky.

The thing that is unimportant is wearing the actual armor. I dropped it infront of the shelves with the emitters because i was overloaded and i simply ran out naked without anyone noticing "Bob's" strange behaviour :lol:

I'm currently searching the northern caves of Rail Crossing to look for those two missing merchants after dicking around a bit in Core City and joining a faction maybe a bit too hastily without informing myself properly, but oh well.

I really really dig the exploration and worldbuilding in this game. Reminds me alot of Gothic. The hoarder in me loathes the fact that i cannot sell all my looted stuff properly, but well. The crafting system is also growing on me although i didnt really make the best character for that.

Last edited:

Kurotaisa

Barely Literate
Underrail is great. Share it with a friend who likes these solo-RPGs. I've none.

K0F39-Q3WG5-5V82C

:greatjob:
Heya, I, Uh, found this thread while looking over reviews for the game and used your key on a lark, didn't expect it to still be there after a week, so I quickly registered to the forums to say Thanks!

Doktor Best

Arcane
Is there any point in making supersteel if my character has only mechanics and electronics in craftskills? Are there any templates for supersteel gunparts or ammo? I dont find any on Underrail wiki.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Pretty sure it's only useful for boots, helmets and armour, also spikes/blades if you swing that way. Don't think the metal type/quality makes any difference when you make ammo though, so it'd just be a waste to spend costly super steel on that. Personally I whipped up some super steel metal armour and super steel metal boots on my RoboCop character and it was pretty damn godly, used that combo for most of the game. Took some extra crafting skills but it was definitely worth the investment. Only time I didn't use it was when I needed bio immunity and greater mobility, had to rely on the Chemical Assault Unit Armor for that.

marux

Augur
Is there any point in making supersteel if my character has only mechanics and electronics in craftskills? Are there any templates for supersteel gunparts or ammo? I dont find any on Underrail wiki.
wiki says you can make special ammo with super steel, don't think this makes any difference though.
i guess making ammo with steel and then with tungsten would show if there is a difference....

even if ammo damage was increased by a bit, i don't think it would be worth it. maybe expansion will implement supersteel guns if you spam here enough :D

tl;dr no

sqeecoo

Arcane
While eagerly awaiting the expansion I though I'd try out a stealthy PSI character, and I got a question guys.

Are the trap detection goggles enough to spot traps at PER 3 and no trap skill? On hard, facetanking them is a save-load strategy and I don't want to play like that. If the goggles alone are not enough, do you have any suggestion on how to handle enemy traps as a stealthy PSI build? Also, any tips on feat selection are welcome, beyond the obvious tranquility PSI line.

I'm considering a con-heavy PSI build with no stealth, too, so if someone has played both PSI types, an informed comparison is welcome :)

Thanks!

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
I have played a 9 con 10 int 10 wis build with that other psi line (not tranq but the crit% one). With 9 con you can get a perk that gives you a massive boost to crit chance when under 30% hitpoints, combine that with light or heavy armor that you can craft yourself (50% bonus to crafting due to 10 int) and voila. Pew pew

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, my stealth-PSI was simple like an axe - 10 Int, max Will, rest is a Per because I don't want to save-load because of traps.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
A stealthy PSI dude with 3 PER will eventually notice most traps, and there is no need for goggles. It should be said though that my character couldn't detect mines until after Depot A, so I relied on pyrokinesis to blast through the maps. Bit of a slog, and you have to remember to step back a bit to avoid getting caught in the explosions, but hey, it works!

You could also invest in traps, I think that should boost your detection quite a bit, and I guess they would come in handy as well. With high INT you could craft some pretty mean stuff, but you can't get Quick Tinkering unless you invest in DEX, so no throwing out traps mid-combat.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Interesting, thanks! So how would you build a stealthy PSI guy? I understand the high-con PSI character, it's explained very well here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxG64b5SH_o

But unless you do a PSI trapper (which makes you very very short on skill points, unless you want to drop one of the PSI schools, and all are useful) you'll still probably be trading damage, right? Up to three enemies you can handle just fine, but you need some durability for the bigger groups?

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I wouldn't worry about the skill drain, you can afford a lot of skills thanks to synergy.

Here's my current build, it's a stealthy PSI psychosis dude focused on thought control:

Str 3
Dex 3
Agi 6
Con 6
Wil 10+4
Int 9+1

0 Fast Metabolism
0 Nimble
2 Psychosis
4 Force User
6 Premeditation
8 Psionic Mania
10 Yell
12 Neural Overclocking
14 Locus of Control
16 Neurology
18 Cerebral Trauma
20 Sprint

Level 21 so far, dominated p. much everything except Fort Apogee (damn Dreadnoughts!), about to take on the Institute.

Started with 6 con for Fast Metabolism, the extra PSI gain from boosters is a godsend. Also got 6 agility for sprint and to help the stealth skill. In retrospect, you could probably put those points into con as well and still play a semi-stealthy character, well-crafted items can add a lot to the skill and sprint isn't critical whereas HPs definitely are.

Early game I relied mainly on Neural Overload, Telekinetic Punch (stuns or kills outright) and Cryokinesis (great range, and it can slow down melee enemies so much you can hit and run without them ever catching up). With groups the goal is to take them out quickly, flashbangs are very handy to disable them, and grenades work well for clean-up duty. Of course, you can also avoid enemies. For example, I skipped fighting the beefy mutants in Depot A and just went straight for the drill parts.

Mental Breakdown + Neural Overload combo is the staple of the build now, does great damage overall and one-shots most dudes if it's used with Psionic Mania. Locus of Control + Enrage is also hilarious for large groups of enemies, just step back and watch them go at each other like a bunch of congoids, then mop up whatever is left standing.

You can also use Locus of Control with stuff like Bilocation and then shield yourself with an energy barrier (took out the Acid Hunters that way). My favourite though is to couple it with Neural Overload to fry a whole bunch of people at once. This works particularly well if you pop the PSI crit damage boosting drug (Trance I think?) and activate Psionic Mania, itz literally anutha shoah! The bladelings in Foundry drop the bio stuff you need to craft it.

Equipment-wise I went for a sturdy tactical vest with PSI beetle carapace and black cloth, definitely the best armour for this kind of build. Made a high frequency shield to tank ranged enemies. Also made tabi boots, if you don't mind cutting into stealth and speed, you can use pig leather for extra HP. Psionic headband came pretty late because I didn't prioritise electronics, but now that I have it, jeez, it's like the best thing ever. I made a Thought Control one with higher crit chance and lower PSI cost, plus 15 extra PSI points from Neurology. Very useful for a psychosis dude.

Oh, I also picked Yell since it reveals stealthed enemies. Very useful against crawlers, lurkers etc. Also quite a nice opener if you manage to sneak up on some of them, since there might always be a few more hiding nearby. Debuff is pretty good too if you have decent levels of intimidation.

The weakness of this build is melee fighters, but you can take them out first if you play it smart. Automatons are a bit more tricky. I've made do by flinging electric bolts, EMP and Mk IV grenades, but against Dreadnoughts this just isn't enough, and once they reactivate it isn't pretty when they start firing rockets and those gatling guns, or stick that drill in your face. Psychostatic Electricity might help, so I'll probably pick that next. Of course, you don't actually have to fight them in the first place, but it's always fun to push it to the limit.

Last edited:

sqeecoo

Arcane
Thanks, I was thinking of something like that! Maybe AGI 7 for Interloper, and I greatly prefer Tranquility to Psychosis, but the rest would be the same.

I won't go for traps, but according to what you say, I should be able to afford:

max Stealth
max Lockpick, Hacking lower but keeping pace with lockpick score with int bonuses
All three PSI maxed
Maybe a bit into persuasion, like 2-3 points per level?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
You don't neeeed interloper btw, if you can stomach the slow walk. I played a stealth SMG guy without it and didn't miss it.

Sykar

Arcane
How do you beat industrial robots?!

Armor piercing bullets and electrical attacks attacks.

Thanks, I was thinking of something like that! Maybe AGI 7 for Interloper, and I greatly prefer Tranquility to Psychosis, but the rest would be the same.

I won't go for traps, but according to what you say, I should be able to afford:

max Stealth
max Lockpick, Hacking lower but keeping pace with lockpick score with int bonuses
All three PSI maxed
Maybe a bit into persuasion, like 2-3 points per level?

Persuasion is easy to fit into any PSI build since you get huge boni from Willpower to it. Even with my hybrid PSI build and 10 WP I only need like 80 points in endgame to pass all the dialogue checks.

I prefer Tranquility over Psychosis as well, for the simple reason that the 20% increase of PSI costs applies even to PSI abilities which deal no damage whatsoever which are quite a few for Thought Control and Psychokinesis. Heck I am not even sure if Psychosis works on Bilocation.
I would only consider taking Psychosis over Tranquility if I'd go for a max con/max WP/low Ini/no stealth PSI build since then you would have a hard time getting first strike and almost always will end up injured when you get your first turn.

Interloper is a god send. It lets you bypass so many fights it's hilarious. I could sneak through the entire Depot A section without being caught albeit I still killed a few isolated guys to get some Oddities.
Remember that your Neural Overload is a silent skill which is crucial to stay undetected while taking out isolated targets. Very handy for quests like when retrieving Eldritch's key to his house in Junkyard.
For this reason alone you might consider getting the Cerebral Trauma feat since this increases your Neural Overload damage by 20%.

Also you do not need to maximized Lockpicking or Hacking. Remember you get sizable boni from items for both of these and the highest you will ever need is 135. Early on you can get +7 from the Jackknife and up to +10 from MK III lockpicks. Later you can get +15 from another items even. Furthermore you can negate the heavy penalty to lockpicking by using appropiate food for +1 Dex early on as well.

With my hybrid build I only need 108 Lockpicking and can still reach the desired 135 with Jackknife, Huxkey and food.

Last edited:

sqeecoo

Arcane
Remember that your Neural Overload is a silent skill which is crucial to stay undetected while taking out isolated targets. Very handy for quests like when retrieving Eldritch's key to his house in Junkyard.
For this reason alone you might consider getting the Cerebral Trauma feat since this increases your Neural Overload damage by 20%.

This was an insanely useful tip, and I'm now starting every map by eliminating stragglers with impunity. Even if you don't kill the guy in one round, you can still (with Tranquility) cast Mental Breakdown and get another round to silently kill the enemy. Very nice.

I still don't see how you can get persuasion AND stealth (even with the insane bonus from will) unless you really meta-game on the crafting, which I don't find enjoyable. But I'm loving my stealth PSI, much better than the high CON build. If you set up the engagement properly, you can pretty reliably control the fight and obliterate everyone. And not even spend anything but regenerating PSI! So relaxing to play.

I agree that you need Interloper if you mean to sneak past anything, but even if you are just sneaking up to enemies and engaging it's still a great quality of life feat. Since I dropped the Pyromaniac&Thermodinamicity line, I have a feat to spare. Thermodinamicity makes you too inflexible if you try to switch between cold/heat, I feel. It's good to have, but I think the disables from lighting and thought control are more valuable. You still want Thermics for the long range and mine clearing, though. Mine clearing with fireball is tedious, but much less save-loady than facetanking, that was a good tip earlier as well.

Sykar

Arcane

I still don't see how you can get persuasion AND stealth (even with the insane bonus from will) unless you really meta-game on the crafting, which I don't find enjoyable. But I'm loving my stealth PSI, much better than the high CON build. If you set up the engagement properly, you can pretty reliably control the fight and obliterate everyone. And not even spend anything but regenerating PSI! So relaxing to play.

Well I guess all I can do is linking my engame build: http://underrail.info.tm/?build=AwG...HCYscWhvRXgfTY3ngCx4JooaAE5wyXqF6xeyOHKjZqwIA

As you can see I still have 2 feats and a few skill points left. You can argue that having only Biology is a disadvantage but the unique Sniper Rifles are good enough even for endgame and in fact I would argue that uniques were implemented as a compromise for people who did not invest heavily into crafting.

Tigranes

Arcane
Alright, I did various builds in Underrail - sneak sniper, psi man, melee bruiser, etc- and then left the game alone for 6 months or so. Feel like dabbling it before xpack comes out, but is there a cool build/concept I could try?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom