Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood - action-RPG adaptation from Cyanide

Some :butthurt: special flower deleted my post here. So I will go again:

oWoD setting allows werewolves to mate with normal wolves to create progeny. So is furry romance on the table for cyanide's werewolf game ?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I hope this has extensive stealth mechanics, with stalking, ambushes, vertically to the world...

But they went and just gave this amazing ip to a fucking French developer, cyanide...

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Do anyone remember any game with "official video game" in title which was good game? I don't.

They are making Styx : Master of Shadows and Call of cthullu, so maybe they aren't that bad.

werewolf-the-apocalypse-video-game_Open.jpg

KILLER BEAR

Educated
Do anyone remember any game with "official video game" in title which was good game? I don't.

They are making Styx : Master of Shadows and Call of cthullu, so maybe they aren't that bad.

Being located in France and not being well-known, I pictured Cyanide as a relatively small studio, but apparently they are working on three games simultaneously. The thing is, for a small studio, I find it hard to believe that they are able to work with equal focus in all three of them. My guess is that they are focusing primarily in one big project (probably Call of Cthulhu) with the other two being side projects developed by smaller teams.

I think paradox giving the Werewolf license to a less known studio is more of an experiment to measure the interest in oWOD-themed games, without expecting them to make something "big". I would be surprised if they manage to pull out anything more than an average brawler, or something similarly appealing.

Xeon

Augur
I thought Paradox just gave a license to make the game when they approached them, no? Would they really say no if Obsidian or a similar company asked them and paid for the license.

I don't have any hope that this will turn out to be good. Cyanide is on par with Spiders, they always make not exactly shovelware, but bland, unpolished and forgettable games. Really don't understand why their GoT game was kinda liked by some 'dexers.

WtA as a setting is p. neat feat for a Twitcher-like ARPG, but for this to work you'll need both programmets, modellers and animators who can make melee combat non-clunky, non-tedious, and not painful to look at. I really doubt that Cyanide have such people. You can make quite many interesting quests if you'll implement oWoD WtA system faithfully, for example earning Gifts from spirits through unique hand-crafted side quests could've been very interesting. Umbra is another interesting thing, if done correctly it can be a source for some great Planescap-y locations. Renown system, Gnosis, Rage - all this mechanics could be interesting. It's not all hippie-tree huggers either, Glass Walkers and Bone Gnawers can be used to craft a nifty city adventure.

But for all this shit to work people from Cyanide must love the setting, or at least know it well. I'll wager that what we'll get instead would be some linear beat-em-up eco-terrorist shit.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I hope this has extensive stealth mechanics, with stalking, ambushes, vertically to the world...

But they went and just gave this amazing ip to a fucking French developer, cyanide...

Are you not aware of Styx???

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Why would Paradox give it to Cynaide? The studio, besides GoT and perhaps Styx have yet to produce any good games. Even those 2 arguably are more okay than actually being good. They could make a franchise out of World of Darkness series and the first thought they have is "Hey, let's give the license to a famous shovelware devs!"

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I dunno, cyanide made some good setting and nice characters (orcs and men, styx. Arkail and styx are great characters and the settings are pretty great) but they are crap at designing system and level (at least in ,oOaM) styx master of shadows level are pretty good tho.

cautiously optimistic, but kinda a,shame. They dont give it to obsidian with cain and boyarsky in the mix now

mixer

Learned
Oh boy, get ready for another classic IP getting raped to hell and back. Good thing i got desensitized to that 10 years ago.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
In their fall quarter earnings call, they announced that they were working on mobile titles but said there was nothing specific to announce.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why would Paradox give it to Cynaide? The studio, besides GoT and perhaps Styx have yet to produce any good games. Even those 2 arguably are more okay than actually being good. They could make a franchise out of World of Darkness series and the first thought they have is "Hey, let's give the license to a famous shovelware devs!"

Maybe they were impressed with what they saw of the Cthulhu RPG.

There was a time I considered Larian a developer of Eurotrash, but they climbed out of it. It's possible (though not likely) Cyanide is doing the same. :M

DeepOcean

Arcane
They just needed to make a Technomancer kind of RPG but with a good story, good quests, good combat and good rules instead. HeHeHe, who am I kidding, Paradox doesn't give a shit about gameplay on this case, only if they do things on budget, that will be pretty small.

NullFlow

Savant
Does Cyanide have the manpower and track record to develop three polished games simultaneously?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Well the Styx sequel and the Cthulhu RPG are supposed to be released this year.

Is it an rpg? is it any good?

No role playing, but it does have xp which you use to buy/improve abilities.

I was really impressed with the large and nonlinear level design, not to mention the variety in environments, and kept wondering what the catch was (this was made by Eurotrash after all). I received my answer halfway through when they ran out of budget and had me backtrack through all those levels. Guess I could have spoiled that for myself had I paid more attention to this thread.

I liked the string quartet soundtrack. This kind of music should be used more often (see also Arcanum). I also liked how they used paintings with voice-over since they didn't have the budget for fully-animated cutscenes. That should be done more often as well.

Everyone wasn't kidding when they talked about the clunky combat. Good thing they only force it on you thrice, but that's three times too many.

The dialogue was lousy and I wasn't fond of how they intentionally made the in media res beginning confusing for the sake of their plot twist. I was pretty surprised when I found out that not only is the lead writer a conformist (there aren't even any women in this game [I'm sure she'd justify it by citing budget] and none of the men have anything approaching what one would call a progressive attitude), Arkane was so impressed with her work on this title that they decided they also wanted her on board to sabotage Dishonored 2 alongside Ellison.

I'm being harsh, but this was an impressive first attempt at a stealth game from a European developer known for shoveling ware. Worth the time and discounted price.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom