Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood - action-RPG adaptation from Cyanide

lightbane

Arcane
I wonder how will they portray Pentex in-game.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
In the game you will become a Garou, a rage-fuelled Werewolf warrior opposed to urban civilization and the destruction it brings. The Garou are born to fight the corruption of The Wyrm, a powerful supernatural force leading us towards an inevitable Apocalypse.
'Garou' is the Japanese pronunciation for the Chinese word 餓狼 (hungry wolf).

So are these werewolves Asian? In before they wield katanas.

I remember that Werewolf was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read during my PnP days. I remember the sample adventure in the rulebook had werewolves fighting evil possessed xerox machines (no, I'm not kidding).

Re: Cyanide, I think they get a lot of flak but they're not all bad really. I liked Styx for awhile (got very repetitive), Game of Thrones RPG was decent for a popamole RPG lite (certainly better than Bioware) and Blood Bowl is by most accounts pretty good fun.

But this isn't a monocled license. It's literally bottom of the barrel WW stuff.

Last edited:
Yes, WoD forever!

zapateroehijas.jpg

Xorphitus

Scholar
Since it was the 20th Anniversary edition they were still Gaia's fleabag planeteers. I guess they can battle possessed xerox machine's if a storeyteller decided to run something like that.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Oh and by the way, they already tried to do a werewolf game in this setting back in 1998-1999. It eventually got cancelled though.
https://www.unseen64.net/2016/10/10/werewolf-apocalypse-videogame-cancelled/
Werewolf: The Apocalypse was a game planned for PC that was being produced by ASC Games and developed by Dreamforge Intertainment, both of which have worked together previously on the horror point and click game Sanitarium for PC. The game was based on the popular pen and paper tabletop series of the same name created by White Wolf Publishing and would have run on the Unreal engine by Epic Games. The game, along with other popular series such as Vampire: The Masquerade and Mage: The Ascension, took place in the “World of Darkness” universe wherein a secret battle for the fate of the Earth is waged by various factions of monsters, ghosts and demons behind the scenes of seemingly normal everyday life. Travis Williams, who was one of the original developers on the original tabletop version of the game, was the executive producer of the game and stated that he was there to make sure the game was as “authentic to the original” as possible. Because of this the game’s storyline incorporated the already extensive backstory associated with the series.

Werewolf-Apocalypse-cancelled-pc-game-13.jpg

The protagonist was a teenager named Ryan Mcullough who discovers that he is a member of the Garou tribe of werewolves after being attacked by monsters who serve the Wyrm – a supernatural force of destruction that wants to warp reality by corrupting all living things with its sickness. Ryan comes to find that not only is he a werewolf but that he also carries the blood of the White Howlers – a powerful tribe who has been extinct for years after trying to stop the Wyrm and falling under its corruption. With his new found abilities Ryan goes on a globetrotting journey to save the heart of the Earth itself from the clutches of the grotesque Wyrm as well as finding out the truth behind his father’s disappearance when he was still a child. Along the way he makes allies with fellow werewolves and other mystical beings to help him battle the twisted agents of the Wyrm such as the Fomori, humans who have been possessed by evil spirits that serve the Wyrm, and the Black Spiral Dancers, werewolves that have been corrupted by the Wyrm. His travels take him to places such as Greece and the Pentex Corporation, which is a powerful conglomerate that serves as a front for the Wyrm.

Gameplay has been described by Williams in several interviews as being similar to the Jedi Knight series of games as there would have been both long range and close combat fighting options along with the ability to switch between 1st and 3rd person camera angles. The player would be given the choice to shapeshift on the fly between Ryan’s human form, his “Crinos” form – which is similar to the popular image of a werewolf, and his “Lupus” form – which is a regular wolf. In human form the player would utilize a series of guns ranging from pistols to machine guns to “experimental” weaponry while the Crinos form consisted of melee combat with claws and a large sword called the Klaive which can be imbued with powers such as fire or ice damage. To make melee combat easier the player would be able to lock on and strafe around enemies while in the Crinos form.

Werewolf-Apocalypse-cancelled-pc-game-6.jpg

Another aspect about the game that was similar to Jedi Knight was the ability to unlock special abilities, known as “gifts” in the game, for all three of Ryan’s forms depending on the choices the player made throughout the game. There were over 20 available and they would have been divided into 3 categories- temporary, permanent, and Klaive effects. An example of an “evil” path gift was the Seed of Gaia, which was a seed you could shoot into enemies that would make spikes shoot out from their insides, and a “good” gift example was a mystical armor spell known as Luna’s Armor.

A multiplayer versus mode was also planned for the game in which the player would have been able to choose characters out of the 13 different tribes of werewolves to do battle with one another. It also featured “totems” that you could attach to your character to give them special abilities. Many standard multiplayer game modes would have been available such as Blood Moot (deathmatch) as well as King of the Hill and a Tag mode.

Information about the game was being steadily released from late 1998 all the way up until September 1999 when ASC announced that the game was put on hold indefinitely. However despite this announcement they assured IGN that the game would still be released in Q1 2000 even though there were reports at the time that ASC Games would be permanently closing their doors. The reports ended up being true and ASC games shut down on January 7th, 2000 with Dreamforge Entertainment following suit shortly thereafter. A majority of the cut scenes for the game have been released since as well as some screenshots and a brief gameplay video that shows Ryan running around a warehouse area and transforming between his 3 different forms. A 10 part prequel series written by White Wolf veteran Phil Bucato was also released on the ASC website as the game was leading up to its release, but all of the chapters seemed to have disappeared along with the ASC website. Another game Dreamforge Entertainment was working on, Myst IV, was taken over and finished by Ubisoft Montreal.
There's more screenshots at that page.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I wouldn't exactly call Bloodlines a hardcore RPG.

As much as I liked Styx, I don't trust Cyanide to make a better game though. Melee combat is hard.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It will be a low budget, bland art direction game that will manage to look worse than Bloodlines; it will be a linear game with you moving through linear urban corridors killing trash enemies with a decision here and there to fill the "RPG" quota; the combat will be simplistic with lots of left clicking and rolling and you distributing points on incredibly interesting skills like "+ 5% damage when the enemy is crouching taking a dump under the full moon" . The voice acting will be terrible, the facial animation and story absolutely forgetable mediocre shit that you will forget as soon as there is a new Steam sale and more discounted shovelware is available to distract you.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
It will be a low budget, bland art direction game that will manage to look worse than Bloodlines; it will be a linear game with you moving through linear urban corridors killing trash enemies with a decision here and there to fill the "RPG" quota; the combat will be simplistic with lots of left clicking and rolling and you distributing points on incredibly interesting skills like "+ 5% damage when the enemy is crouching taking a dump under the full moon" . The voice acting will be terrible, the facial animation and story absolutely forgetable mediocre shit that you will forget as soon as there is a new Steam sale and more discounted shovelware is available to distract you.
holy fuck this is depressing

are you okay

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not expecting anything but a shitty action game advertisement.
Even VtM:B was a miracle. Making a decent cRPG out of Werewolf (nuWoD's Forsaken to boot)? I have no faith in any dev being that competent or the producers taking a chance to try it.

Relax, man. If the title of the game is anything to go by, it should be oWoD. There's a reason all those WoD 20 anniversary games got made.
oWoD ecowarrior stuff is still shite. Opposing 'destruction of the environment' because of urban development, dirty hippies go home.

DeepOcean

Arcane
are you okay
Nope, unfortunately I played the previous Cianide games. Last time they tried to produce an RPG the result was that awful Game of Thrones game. Some codexians for some weird reason had a hard on for that pile of garbage and I bought on it... oh boy, what mistake that was.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The premise of the "setting" could be interesting and appropriate for the current times, very codexian even. "The world is dying. When will you Rage?" catch-phrase is basically "Everything is shit, are you butthurt enough?"

But if they go with oWoD flavor, hippy environment lovers vs urbanisation, it could turn out trite and preachy, unless they have good writers capable of nuance, presenting multiple views, instead of force-feeding their ideology down your throat like Bioware.

cruelio

Savant
I'm glad they're handing the WoD property literally no one in human history has cared about to the shovelware tier developer that makes games literally no one in human history has cared about. It's a perfect match. Paradox has done it again.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I don't really have any hope in this, and I LIKE the Werewolf setting. Expecting terrible shovelware I wont ever purchase or play.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
For fun I decided to look up Bloodlines's press release.

DENIZENS OF DARKNESS HAVE SOMETHING TO SINK THEIR TEETH INTO WITH THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF ACTIVISION'S VAMPIRE: THE MASQUERADE - BLOODLINES FOR THE PC
Valve's Source Technology to Power Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Santa Monica, CA - May 6, 2003 - Activision, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) will plunge players into the dark and gritty vampire underworld of modern Los Angeles with the announcement of Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines for the PC. Seamlessly combining role playing with intense first-person action combat, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines allows players to become a dangerous creature of the night as they assume the role of a recently embraced fledgling vampire in the service of the city's dark prince. Vampire: The Masquerade- Bloodlines is being developed by Troika Games, whose founding members' credits include the award-winning Fallout, and is based on White Wolf's renowned pen-and-paper Vampire: The Masquerade RPG series. Built using Valve's Source Technology - the same game technology used to power Half-Life 2, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines has not yet been rated by the ESRB and is expected to ship in 2004.

"Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines blends the best parts of an RPG and a first person action game, allowing players to explore a sophisticated character development system in an open non-linear realm while experiencing intense action sequences," states Larry Goldberg, executive vice president, Activision Worldwide Studios. "We are going to take full advantage of Valve's Source Technology to send you deep into a dark and intriguing Vampire underworld filled with haunting images."

"With Vampire, Troika is proving Source can reach beyond the world of FPS games," said Gabe Newell, managing director and co-founder of Valve. "The character system, rendering abilities, and contextual AI features of Source combined with the veteran RPG design talent at Troika is a great representation of the innovation we hope to enable with this technology."

"We are very excited to have Activision and Troika producing Vampire: The Masquerade--Bloodlines," said Chris McDonough of White Wolf Games. "They are among the elite few companies capable of taking our property into the world of first person action gaming while still maintaining the story, setting, characters and role-playing aspects of the game."

Players begin their journey into darkness by choosing to play as any of seven different vampire clans. Each clan in the game offers a distinctive set of skills, traits and abilities including: supernatural speed, stealth, invisibility, mind control, inhuman strength, combat, and stamina, each of which will be further refined as players progress through the game. Players will earn and apply experience points to increase their powers and skills, allowing them to create their ultimate creature of the night, from stealthy hunter to seductive charmer to a feral, brutal killing machine.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines' combat will be instantly familiar to players of first-person action games. In addition to vampire skills and powers, gamers will be able to call upon a devastating arsenal of weapons including stake guns, shotguns, flamethrowers, submachine guns and sniper rifles, to name a few. Once players arm themselves to the teeth they will be ready to tackle the host of human vampire hunters, ghouls, werewolves, and enemy vampires that inhabit the City of Angels after nightfall.

Well they do mention it has role playing. :M

DeepOcean

Arcane
Option A:
The plot will envolve you being a Garou killing because killing is fun and is part of your nature as a primal hunter. Nature has a creative and a destructive side, you are pretty much on the destructive side of things, evil for sure if you still applied human morality to you.

Option B:
You are an Eco counscious werewolf worried about supernatural global warming on a crusade to keep Gaia clean and wonderful because nature is of course, something so beautiful with you hugging trees on your spare time.

Which option french SJW white guilt priviledged men are going to choose, can you bet? Can't wait to save Gaia.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom