Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Or improve the simulation formula like day/night schedule with NPC scripting and activities.

Basically like ultima did years ago.

Xeon

Augur
I hope they don't add anything they didn't think it through or can't flesh it well enough.

Can't remember what Josh said but he did comment on the Strongholds in PoE and what was kinda wrong with it in the Dev commentary.

Sizzle

Arcane
It's not about throwing money at it, it's about the skill of the people making it. Even if they have unlimited resources they wouldn't be able to make a masterpiece. Creativity is one of those elusive things that doesn't get better the more money it has.

I agree, to a point. More money is always better (and, no matter the amount, money is always an issue), but it boils down to the people making the game.

The problem with PoE was that it played things too safe (Dyrwood is an interesting area on paper - inspired by colonial America, racial tensions, etc., but most of the time it was barely discernable from any other Sword Coast-ish fantasy game).

And yeah, I know that was the entire idea behind it - familiar, but with a few twists to the formula - but I still think they didn't take those ideas to their full potential.

Now that they're more or less free to do something that isn't so vanilla, I hope they'll use the chance to spice it up. And a swashbuckling adventure does sound promising.

Quillon

Arcane
The problem with PoE was that it played things too safe (Dyrwood is an interesting area on paper - inspired by colonial America, racial tensions, etc., but most of the time it was barely discernable from any other Sword Coast-ish fantasy game).

And yeah, I know that was the entire idea behind it - familiar, but with a few twists to the formula - but I still think they didn't take those ideas to their full potential.

They made the game for nostalgic fuckers with a restricted vision accordingly who ended up not liking it the most coz their expectations are just out of the realms of possibilities.

Also I see butthurt CA tweeting quickly to reveal what little info he has(we know Obs will use figstarter but most ppl don't). Prolly he'll go out of his way to tell it not once or twice but often and in capital bold letters that HE ISN'T WORKING ON PILLARS 2...almost like an anti-campaign, wait and see.

And why is figstarter shady? And do you think Obs would fuck ppl over with fig even if its truly designed to be shadyfghjk?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Ironically enough, I still think BG1 is a better game than PoE, so I wouldn't say we had unrealistic expectations that nothing could ever hope to achieve.

Sannom

Augur
And why is figstarter shady? And do you think Obs would fuck ppl over with fig even if its truly designed to be shadyfghjk?
It's the investment part of Fig that is shady and over-complicated. The simple fact that you're not investing in the specific game but rather the company as a whole is a red flag for me. But if you're not investing, I don't think it's any shadier than Kickstarted.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
What's the ROI on fig games? Are there any numbers anywhere?

hajro

Arbiter
C2jSZzHUoAA_0TU.jpg:large

CUCK CONFIRMED

Last edited by a moderator:

Sentinel

Arcane
Okay, that's Edér and Aloth confirmed.

So, next is Pallegina. What's her text? "We wuz kangs n shit nigga dem whiteys robbed us of our future nigga now we be takin' da revenge nigga"?

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Eder was one of the more interesting companions so him coming back is fine IMO and Aloth might work too if they forget the shtick with the "angry scottish broad"-thing and make him into stronger personality. Rest of the companions (I haven't played White March yet) were very meh with exception of Eder and Durance. Grieving Mother had pretty horrible VA which didn't work at all, same with Sagani.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Edér was very enjoyable overall. Durance was awesome in other ways. I liked Kana for his enthusiasm and scholarly focus, the voice acting also helped. I liked Sagani's personality, but loathed the voice acting.

The rest were less memorable.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Eder was enjoyable because, much like the player character, he was just a regular bloke caught up events spiraling out of control.

Most of the others were just generic high-fantasy faggotry.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Well, I don't recall Sagani being generic. Where have you seen lost tribe hunter who's major objective is to go back to her children and husband?
I wouldn't call her really interesting, but not generic.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Well, I don't recall Sagani being generic. Where have you seen lost tribe hunter who's major objective is to go back to her children and husband?
I wouldn't call her really interesting, but not generic.

She was my favorite character. An adult instead of an overwrought child. Basically, the antithesis of a bioware companion.

Artyoan

Arbiter
I'm hoping for half as much companions but a lot more involved. Don't need representatives for every class.

Prime Junta

She was my favorite character. An adult instead of an overwrought child. Basically, the antithesis of a bioware companion.

She also had some of the best banter and interjections -- swapping hunting stories with Hiravias, the bit with Edér and Itumaak, or that "Don't tell my kids" when she popped shrooms with Zahua. I also quite liked the voice actress.

I especially liked Edér and Sagani precisely because they're normal people: at times serious, at times funny, and dealing with their own human-scale personal stuff. They're relatable, down-to-earth, and multifaceted; the longer I stayed with them, the more I grew to like them. Most of the others are one-trick ponies, with or without a Big Epic Secret.

Sizzle

Arcane
I especially liked Edér and Sagani precisely because they're normal people: at times serious, at times funny, and dealing with their own human-scale personal stuff. They're relatable, down-to-earth, and multifaceted; the longer I stayed with them, the more I grew to like them. Most of the others are one-trick ponies, with or without a Big Epic Secret.

Kana Rua was also a pretty ordinary guy, but I could never get into his character (the fact that I disliked his VA was also probably part of the reason why).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom