Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That Eder quote rubs me the wrong way, there is nothing in-universe to cause such relentless want for divine forgiveness, so it comes off as sycophantic. Anyway, PoE2. It's not like nobody was expecting (the Spanish Inquisition) it. It doesn't really matter where it's set, as long as it isn't endless forests and tiny hamlets.

Sentinel

Arcane
That Eder quote rubs me the wrong way, there is nothing in-universe to cause such relentless want for divine forgiveness, so it comes off as sycophantic. Anyway, PoE2. It's not like nobody was expecting (the Spanish Inquisition) it. It doesn't really matter where it's set, as long as it isn't endless forests and tiny hamlets.
What? Did you even pay attention to Edér's questline?

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Given the fact that lying ass Steam claims I've put almost 200 hours into PoE, I am, needless to say, pretty excited for PoE2. Flawed as it was, it was the only one of the games from the KS-old-school-RPG-revival wave that I actually enjoyed playing.

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

you're right those 800 humans I fought without any relevant story or character progression before giving up was just my imagination.

I've seen Tyranny kill counters, 800 is literally double what it actually has. You might as well call Torment a combat-focused dungeon crawler.
Did second half of Planescape: Torment consisted of a single questline - Chose a faction and kill members of all other factions?

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Kinda disappointed that it's a PoE game and not something else. Magics fantasy isn't very high on my to-watch list at the moment.

Oh, well. Perhaps they manage to freshen it up a bit.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
PoE might be my favourite RTwP game after Planescape: Torment and NWN/NWN2.
Need to get around to playing it again with the WM sometime.

Needless to say, I'm very excited about this!

Perkel

Arcane
We have one of the best writers around what we should do !?

Fergus: give him account position !
Sawyer: make him gameplay programmer ! (to balance him out)
Tim: make him main writer for all of our games !
Fergus and Sawyer together: BOOOOOOOOO !!! GET OUT OF HERE !!
Fergus: Tim you will be joining our new MOBA game soon as animator.
Tim: NOOOOOO !!!!
F&S: ahahahahahaha (devil laugh)

Lacrymas

Arcane
What? Did you even pay attention to Edér's questline?

I meant in general, not Eder specifically, but he's also into that equation. He treats his god as if he's his commander/friend who he betrayed, which is weird. There is nothing in-universe to suggest that divine forgiveness in general is desirable or worthy of pursuit.

Last edited:

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hope they'll at least get Ziets to do some writing if MCA is out of the picture.

Perkel

Arcane
I hope they'll at least get Ziets to do some writing if MCA is out of the picture.

Ziets doesn't work in Obsidian. HE works in Inxile.

And frankly all those "xx developers joins to create xxx character and few quests" doesn't work. MCA despite the fact that he was core Obsidian had his work gutted (and still was one of the highpoints of the game).

Prime Junta

Way too many games are written by committee these days. Big teams and massive content has a downside.

PS:T was so awesome because there was a clear, coherent creative vision all through, and that's because it was all written by one (exceptionally good) guy. Get a half-dozen writers together and get them to write a game under a deadline, and you're going to get a clusterfuck of stories flapping along in loose formation -- regardless of how good the individual writers are. Happened to Pillars, WL2, T:ToN, not to mention any relatively recent AAA production you might care to name (even Witcher 3).

(One thing I liked about Tyranny is that it didn't suffer from this all that much. Probably because it was a small-team effort.)

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ziets doesn't work in Obsidian. HE works in Inxile.
That probably doesn't prevent him from writing a few lines for Obsidian.
and still was one of the highpoints of the game
Exactly. You say it doesn't work, but I think we can both agree that the game is better with MCA's contribution.
PS:T was so awesome because there was a clear, coherent creative vision all through, and that's because it was all written by one (exceptionally good) guy.
Yeah. Bolded the important part.

Xeon

Augur
Does anyone know if the save import in PoE2 will count choices like the ME games or just character stats like in BG2? Watching the recorded stream and Josh said saves can be imported to PoE2 and account to things or something. If choices the one that counts, I kinda want to give PoE a serious play.

IIRC Chaotic once said Ziets was the one who did the evil path and the big skeleton in MotB, if possible will be really great to get him for evil choices.

Edit:
Yeah, nvm. Josh expanded on his answers. Choices will be counted, that's pretty good.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Did second half of Planescape: Torment consisted of a single questline - Chose a faction and kill members of all other factions?

Once you finish the conversation with Ravel it turns into a linear combat crawl punctuated with other lengthy conversations with individual characters yes.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's not about throwing money at it, it's about the skill of the people making it. Even if they have unlimited resources they wouldn't be able to make a masterpiece. Creativity is one of those elusive things that doesn't get better the more money it has.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
It's not about throwing money at it, it's about the skill of the people making it. Even if they have unlimited resources they wouldn't be able to make a masterpiece. Creativity is one of those elusive things that doesn't get better the more money it has.
I agree about the skill. But, Obsidian is already full of creative people. I'm talking about the line which will push the boundaries of old school cRPG's further. Because they've been slumbering very long.
For example, more investment in stretchgoals like stronghold, captivating storyline, mega dungeons, cities and overall enhancement to achieve full potential.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom