Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2016 Role-Playing Game of the Year & Age of Incline Voting

tindrli

Arcane
I enjoyed Voidspire Tactics and Sorcerer King the most (also "Age of fear 2" which is not listed if I remember correctly)!

dont worry you can always vote for ULTIMATE action rpg called
Way of the Samurai 4

Sherry

Arcane
Hi!

A lot of games came out that I have not even heard of! o.O

But thank-you felipepepe for putting up the poll and calling attention to some of the no-name titles I noticed while browsing. I was only able to offer votes on what it is I have played, and thankfully I found them on the list so I could participate and share with you the games I have been playing and going on adventures in.

Pillars of Eternity w/ White March One and White March Two. - Currently playing! 5 out of 5.
Siege of Dragonspear - The continuation of the story of all stories. Replayed 3 times with Barbarian/Druid, Assassin and Skald. 5 out of 5.
Divinity Original Sin - The adventure dragged and I only ever got half-way through. When the game was coming out, the developers spoke about how Ultima influenced a lot of their game design choices. It's nothing like Ultima. I only gave it a 3 out of 5 when voting.
Sword Coast Legends - OMG! This did not meet my expectations at ALL. Really upset I purchased thinking it would be like Neverwinter Nights modules. 3 out of 5.

Being new here, I look forward to participating in any Ultima and Pillars of Eternity threads available.

Thanks,
Randal

Zeriel

Arcane
Hi!

But thank-you felipepepe for putting up the poll and calling attention to some of the no-name titles I noticed while browsing. I was only able to offer votes on what it is I have played, and thankfully I found them on the list so I could participate and share with you the games I have been playing and going on adventures in.

Pillars of Eternity w/ White March One and White March Two. - Currently playing! 5 out of 5.
Siege of Dragonspear - The continuation of the story of all stories. Replayed 3 times with Barbarian/Druid, Assassin and Skald. 5 out of 5.
Divinity Original Sin - The adventure dragged and I only ever got half-way through. When the game was coming out, the developers spoke about how Ultima influenced a lot of their game design choices. It's nothing like Ultima. I only gave it a 3 out of 5 when voting.
Sword Coast Legends - OMG! This did not meet my expectations at ALL. Really upset I purchased thinking it would be like Neverwinter Nights modules. 3 out of 5.

Being new here, I look forward to participating in any Ultima and Pillars of Eternity threads available.

Thanks,
Randal

You HAVE to go back.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
ff293d7bc320925301596ea1d55ef0b0.jpg

So since this game was advertised and highly praised by felipepepe and Crooked Bee , does any of you knows if such outfits have been tailored in real life ? Genuine question, i wouldnt mind offering that to a friend.

Lightning was used to promote a bunch of real-world fashion, so it's pretty likely; though I do think it was mostly handbags.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Hi!

Thanks,
Randal

You HAVE to go back.

A Codex welcome for an innocent newfag.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Voted. I did the un-Codexian thing and only voted for titles I had actually played... which sadly weren't that many.

SniperHF

Arcane
I feel like I am in a distinct minority in that I enjoyed the original Shadowrun Returns (Dead Man's Switch) but the two follow ups were kinda meh and I didn't finish either of them. I don't have to have a huge story with lots of companions that tell me their stories over time like a delicate blossoming flower to enjoy a game. It's not necessarily bad, but it can annoy me if not done amazingly well.

I basically agree with your approach but for me it doesn't apply at all to the first campaign. Some of the small pains in the first game really added up like the substantially inferior interface, being forced to play long sections in combat mode when not in combat, and save restrictions when combined with the games flaws as a more simple combat game like the 2nd half's pacing and overly linear levels. DMS has too many things going against it. Dragonfall and HK even more so can indeed get lost in their own wankery but a lot of the other flaws are gone/mitigated even if you have to get through some fluff to notice.

sstacks

Arcane
Hi!

Thanks,
Randal

Welcome to the Codex. It's probably the most unvarnished set of forums in the history of the multiverse.

Fair warning, giving SCL a 3/5 out of 5 will brand you as a craptastic shill for the game, by Codexian law you are only allowed to lambast it and all its ancestors and AT MOST give it a 1 or else you are a child molesting intestinal parasite.

I personally think it is fun for what it is, but I have already been registered in all the appropriate law enforcement and neighborhood watch databases.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Hummm.... IMHO the big names are Age of Decacende, Pillars of Eternity, Dragon's Dogma and Divinity: Original Sin. These will all likely make into the Top 20, and one will probably dethrone Wizardry 8.
What did you get out of D:OS? Working with that character system and the itemization was like wearing a hair shirt.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I voted:

2012: Grimrock

2013: Paper Sorcerer

2014: ELMINAGE FUCKING GOTHIC

2015: PoE

2016: Stranger of Sword City

very pleasantly surprised at how complete the entries were! Extremely well designed poll and kudos to whoever did it.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Check your facts: AoD fanbois were the ones which perpetrated a brigade down-voting against Underrail.

Yeah, there were more votes of AoD 5/Underrail 1 than Underrail 5/Aod 1 compared to the overall votes for both games.

Underrail won in spite of these insecure little bitches.
lol
That's funny coming from UR fanboy. What's more, you're lying, pathetic.
Another cut - the results without 1/5 votes (no no downvotting):
  1. Age of Decadence 4,28
  2. Underrail 4,21
  3. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt 4,17
  4. Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Editon 3,88
  5. Invisible, Inc. 3,87
  6. Conquest of Elysium 4 3,81
  7. Voidspire Tactics 3,70
  8. Swords and Sorcery - Underworld - Definitive Edition 3,69
  9. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin 3,65
  10. Legend of Heroes: Trail in the Sky SC 3,63
Even so, PoE remains at #26. It's interesting, because what doomed it wasn't the 1 & 2 votes, was the overwhelming amount of 3s.

So I made some graphics to compare that:

HQFBv9Q.jpg

We also see that while haters hated Undertale a lot, it would never make it into the Top 10 anyway, because few people really enjoyed it. Hard West is interesting because a lot of people liked it, but very few found it GREAT!

And damn, Sword Coast Legends bombed...
1 rating was given by 20 accounts for AoD and only 7 for UR. At the same time out of those 20, 9 UR fanboys rated UR 5 and AoD 1 and FeelTheRads 4-1. For AoD only 2 people rated AoD 5 and UR 1 (likaq and MarkedOne). None of the "AoD cultists" besides likaq have downvoted UR. Everything is clear as day on the graphs that felipepepe has presented. 5% of all of those who played UR (436 people) rated it 1 or 2 and 7% for AoD (out of 468). So Underrail won because of these insecure little bitches

I stand correct. There was no brigade down-voting from the AoD fans. I'm wrong in this case and I have to admit it.

I had the wrong impression because before the final voting there were at least 2 voting threads fucked up by the Aod and Underrail flame. The open voting system was a mess anyway.

I fucked up but I did not conspire to lie like you claim.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
jesus fucking christ! people actually made multiple accounts just to bring down, or to raise, a game's ranking!?

i find that more pathetic than usual codex shenanigans...

get a fucking grip people.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Last year AoD got more 5s than Underrail, but lost because Underrail fanboys downvoted with 1. I give Underrail a 4, because I'm not dishonest. I should give it a 1 though, because the system encourages you to praise one game and downvote the rest in order to win.
However, if you only count votes of people that voted for both AoD and Underrail, AoD beat Underrail. Albeit very marginally.

My brother made this graph correlating AoD & Underrail votes:
JIstuvJ.jpg

- 45% of those who gave 1/5 to AoD gave 5/5 to Underrail. It's a small group, but the reverse is almost non-existent.
- If a person never played one of these games, he likely also never played the other.
- However, those who enjoyed one game likely enjoyed the other.
I do not know if this was already discussed, but:

I checked the raw data for people who had given 1-5 grade to both AoD and UR.

There were 349 entries grading both. Of those, 105 gave a better grade to AoD, 100 gave better grade to UR and 144 graded them equal.
The average among this sample for AoD was 4.172 and for UR 4.163, respectively. As is evident by a quick look, the difference between grades is statistically insignificant, if we use, say a paired t-test (observed p=0.89).

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
I think PoE problem is that after you finish it you don't have memory of what you did aside from Grieving mother story and her banter. Maybe Durance.

It is like warm cup of tea in winter. Amazing while you play it but nothing much when you finish it.

AoD on other hand is like eating sandwitch with razor in it. You will remember that that sandwich was fucking good but at the same time it had razor in it.

There are shitload of stuff in AoD that will keep you remembering game that simply doesn't exist in PoE. Space room, becoming chosen one, brutal world, C&C galore, that fucking old motherfucking hard assasin, becoming champion of city on arena, finding your first unique gear, the music, there is shitload stuff to reremember.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Oh my, if only I could make a list ignoring the 1/5 & 2/5 votes to see what happens... :M
POE would win? This time gave it a two rather then three, because last time I thought that it was lack experience rather than talent and brains.

Anyway the current valution is shit, because it allows for a single number and people tend to be biased. Without full valuation people tend to value based on impulse or perceived cocks in mouths (rads). I did a full valuation to determine the correct score:

upload_2017-1-18_10-15-14.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom