Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Sannom

Augur
I wouldn't consider Qui-Gon a grey Jedi, btw. He still is in the Jedi Order, he just don't accept every order and do what he thinks is right even if the Council says otherwise, but that doesn't make him grey or anything else.
The thing is, that's pretty much the definition of a Grey Jedi. The only time I've heard that term in the SW canon, it was used by a member of the Council talking about Gui Gon and lamenting his rebellious spirit.

The Grey Jedi as imagined by the fandom is a Mary Sue who manages to master the powers of both side of the Force, which makes them the most powerful people around and allows them to lecture everyone.

Rev

Arcane
The thing is, that's pretty much the definition of a Grey Jedi. The only time I've heard that term in the SW canon, it was used by a member of the Council talking about Gui Gon and lamenting his rebellious spirit.

The Grey Jedi as imagined by the fandom is a Mary Sue who manages to master the powers of both side of the Force, which makes them the most powerful people around and allows them to lecture everyone.
The point of being a Grey Jedi is that you are neither toward the dark side or the light side, and Qui-Gon is definetely a good guy by all standards.
Of course the official canon doesn't have "neutral" guys because it revolves around the simple good vs evil dichotomy, never bothering with exploring something more complex like KotOR II and, to a hugely lesser extent, even the first one and some other work in the EU did.

Sannom

Augur
Grey Jedi is just a tool for people who wants to use those sweet Dark Side powers without being labeled as Sith and thus evil, despite the fact that most of those powers are for torture purposes.

Fairfax

Arcane
Using powers from both sides is not even a Grey Jedi thing. Katarn uses dark side powers and he's a member of the Jedi Council. You're right that it's how part of the fandom imagines Grey Jedi, but the fanbase is just too large, so you'll always have people like that.

The point of being a Grey Jedi is that you are neither toward the dark side or the light side, and Qui-Gon is definetely a good guy by all standards.
Most Grey Jedi lean strongly toward the light side. The concept is more about the Council and the Code than dark/light side. Qui-Gon would be strong light side in the KOTOR spectrum, for instance, while Fel and the Imperial Knights would be closer to neutral (but still light side). The way the Force works, one can be neutral or light side and still be a Grey Jedi, but not dark side, at which point they become Dark/Fallen Jedi. Very few characters in the SW canon or EU are actually neutral in the way you can be in the KOTOR games, as in using powers and making decisions that favour both sides.

KOTOR2 did a fantastic job in the themes and questions it explored, but it would've needed much more complex mechanics to reflect that in the actual gameplay.

Pimi-ukko

Novice
I was checking the doc with the interview, and it's at 10k words with all questions I've asked so far and 80+ Codex user questions. However, I still haven't asked half of my questions and he hasn't answered any of the Codex questions.
The Sawyer one has ~17.3k words by comparison. Unless MCA cuts it short, this one will have more than 20k when it's all said and done, which would make it a novella by Hugo/Nebula Awards standards (17.5-40k words). :lol:

I hope to expect 40k< words then.

Heretic

Cipher
Why does "the head of Fig" ask Avellone to work on PoE2? Or do I misunderstand it?

Fairfax

Arcane
Why does "the head of Fig" ask Avellone to work on PoE2? Or do I misunderstand it?
Nah, you got it right, it was Fig's CEO (Justin Bailey). As for why, I asked MCA in the interview and he didn't know either:

the CEO of Fig contacted me the other day and asked if I wanted to work on PoE2 (I told him I wouldn't be interested, but politely).
[...]

The PoE2 thing sounds strange indeed. Why didn't someone from Obsidian approach you directly?

I have no idea. It may have been the circumstances of the question (I believe he thought I was key to another Pillars crowdfunding success, which I don't believe). Also, I don't know how much Fig itself knows what's going on with PoE2 (ex: Tim Cain will unlikely to be involved considering his new role, the lead story writer for PoE1 left, but PoE1's success can likely stand on its own for another crowdsource, imo). I don't even know if PoE2 is even going with Fig, but if he's asking, I guess it is.

Fig's CEO is not part of the game's team, so it's really weird that he'd be the one to ask MCA about it. Perhaps he's not aware that MCA is not interested in working with Obsidian anymore. But then again, with Feargus being a member of Fig's board, why wasn't he told? It's very weird.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He may not be part of the game's team, but if there's a Fig campaign its success is quite relevant to his personal income. +M

Fairfax

Arcane
He may not be part of the game's team, but if there's a Fig campaign its success is quite relevant to his personal income. +M
Right, but why would he do that without talking to Feargus or someone else from Obsidian first? Unless he did and they told him to ask MCA anyway. That would be even stranger, to say the least. :M

By the way, one has to appreciate the timing of his tweet. :lol:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe he was asking to decide if he's gonna buy himself a copy, seeing as how Durance compared to the rest.

Fairfax

Arcane

"Hellls no". :lol:

Also, he mentioned the price point, but there's still no campaign page on Fig. Did polygon leak the prices?

Prime Junta

Ah-ha, finally INCOVNTROBERTIBLE PROOOF that the MCA/JES enmity is all fiction: MCA would be happy to support a non-Obsidz project where JES is the celebrity endorser. Take that haeterz

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom