Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2016 Role-Playing Game of the Year & Age of Incline Voting

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
One of the best RPGs of 2016 is missing: Ara Fell

How does it score on your crpganalyser though?

Ara Fell comes with a very good in story (with some surprises), interesting dialog and with many memorable characters. Combat is turn based and challenging. World exploration is fun and rewarding. Character development is weaker due to the predefined characters.
Two thumbs up.

I played it and it's really not good. Unfinished, too. (E.g. that quest with the brigand girl, of which the developer himself said he didn't have enough time to flesh it out.)

I mean, I admire the effort - and I can see there was some actual effort behind this game (especially in terms of art style) - but no small indie team has actually managed to make a great classic-style JRPG so far. And Ara Fell is no exception.

And I don't remember the combat being challenging at all.

Unfinshed? - That is bullshit. Ara Fell is a 30 hour game that tells a believable story with many side quests, never gets boring and is really fun. The boss fights are challenging. But it seems that indie games get more criticized on the Codex these days or are ignored completely.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
It's because the game looks like this
ss-003.jpg

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
felipepepe Apologies if the main post answers this, but when will the final vote be compiled? Would you like to do a show about it? I'll reserve you a Saturday if you want.

EDIT: I see voting runs through Feb 1, but when will the results and accompanying analysis, etc be released?
Analyzing it shouldn't take long - by the 5th or 6th of Feb I should be done.

However, then we have to write a post to present the data, probably with some artwork, staff comments, etc... and that I honestly can't tell ya how long will take. :/

But sure, we can do a show about it. Just don't roast me for not releasing the new CRPG Book preview yet. :shittydog:

sstacks

Arcane
felipepepe Apologies if the main post answers this, but when will the final vote be compiled? Would you like to do a show about it? I'll reserve you a Saturday if you want.

EDIT: I see voting runs through Feb 1, but when will the results and accompanying analysis, etc be released?

However, then we have to write a post to present the data, probably with some artwork, staff comments, etc... and that I honestly can't tell ya how long will take. :/

But sure, we can do a show about it. Just don't roast me for not releasing the new CRPG Book preview yet. :shittydog:

Ok if you think of it give me as much heads up as you can when the post is going live and we'll get you on the show. I want to time it as close to the post going live as possible.

Will there be mini reviews like the last time? Can help with a few:salute:

Is Dark Souls supposed to be an RPG?
Man, what has the world come to. Back in my day we had games like Soul Reaver and Ninja Gaiden and they were called action-adventure.

It's functionally pretty similar to Diablo-like and it has way more roleplaying elements than Diablo 3.

Fenris 2.0

Augur
Damn, not a lot of Games that I played in this Timeframe... I bought and started a lot of the "Incline-Games" but I could only get into maybe three or four of them, the rest just where no fun, even if I could see their qualities, I just couldn't enjoy them... :(

Gregz

Arcane
It's nice to see a robust anonymous poll with a high-energy analytics team in charge of collating the data.

I haven't even heard of most of the games in this poll, so I'm looking forward to playing the gems I missed.

This is why the Codex is great.

Last edited:
I'm very interested to see the results for the last 2-3 years. Apparently I've missed a shitload of less known games. Out of the ones I actually played, I only have 5 points for witcher 3. It's only flaws are simplistic combat and badly balanced crafting. But good writing, fun system of buffs and excellent environments more than make up for that.

Age of Decadence and Legends of Eisenwald were pretty close, but it would have been silly to give 5 points to games I didn't even finish.

mondblut

Arcane
Why are "didn't play" and "sucks" mutually exclusive? We are not neofag peons, we don't play games because we know they suck.

Tried to vote, but quickly lost my way among all the action trash, jrpg trash, adventure trash and other trash. Can we have a bullet point list of actual by the book CRPGs to vote for? Disregard that, just give them all a 4 on my behalf for not being completely gay.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Your point being?

It's the best system there is to vote. Voting against the system is no different than me saying

"5 points to Skyrim, 5 points to Obliivion, 5 points to Fallout 3, 5 points to Fallout 4".

Retards eikk be vertwgere

Jarmaro

Liturgist
B-but... what is an RPG?
It's a game where most part is playing as self created or well desricptioned character, it must have also possibility to progress your character/level up, have inventory and items player can gather and equip, have money or other currency, it'd be also good if game has story in which player can participate and make choices. That's the core I suppose.

set

Cipher
My 5's:

Underrail
Path of Exile
Rance
Invisible Inc.
Darkest Dungeon
Shadowrun: Dragon's Whatever It's Called (the one set in Berlin)

That was like, honestly it. Everything else I gave a 3 or lower.

I was generous with giving DE:HD a 4, because I want more Deus. Lords of Xulima, Age of Decadence, and some other titles I really wanted to give a 4, but if I didn't even make it through it to the end, I just couldn't.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
this poll made me realize how many games I liked but never finished -.-
Same here.

My highest ratings went to: D:OS (5), LoG2(5) (what can I say, I have a hard-on for blobbers), LoX(4), Fallout 1.5(5), and Witcher 3. My lowest two votes went to Inquisition(1) and Fallout 4(2). I basically gave a 5 to the best game that I played in that year. Didn't vote at all for 2013.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom