Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Buff Hardslab in: Caves of Qud

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Introduction

Caves of Qud is a bizzaro quasi-post-apocalyptic sci-fi Roguelike with tons to explore, lots of "simulation-like" interactivity (such as destructible terrain), funky graphics (comes with a tileset, but there's a pure ASCII option), and a gracious plenitude of chargen options. The official description and Steam reviews of the game can be found here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/333640/

I'm relatively new to CoQ, so I'm not best qualified to explain all of the game's features. I spent several hours RTFM, tailoring keybindings to my liking, and doing a few playthroughs of the starting area to learn the very basic ropes of the game. That said, I can already tell that this is potentially massive incline.

Chapter 1: Chargen

CoQ has been in development for nearly a decade, but that's nothing compared to your typical Roguelike.

412ab46926.png

I know what sort of character I want to begin with: a big, dumb brick with a big sword and big armor, affording us half a hope of surviving acute ignorance and stupidity. To that end I'll select True Kin, who're pure Aryan humans with no nasty mutations. They receive bonus attributes and stats, bonus skill points per level, very nice starting equipment and consumables, and the ability to flip robots the bird.

6369d51ec5.png

True Kin attributes begin at 12 apiece (compared to 10 apiece for mutants, meaning True Kin attributes can go 2 higher before the point-buy cost doubles) with 40 points to spend.

4cdec85fef.png

I already know which Arcology and Caste I'll be choosing for my True Kin (although you don't), so I'll spend my points thusly. We're already getting pretty big and stupid! I don't want any attribute maluses, so I eliminate those too. (Willpower will get +1 in a moment.) Characters receive 4 x raw INT skill points per level, +20 per level for True Kin, so I'll place the leftover point there since the point-buy cost of Strength and Toughness have doubled.

9cb3bab3bc.png

Onto Arcology and Caste selection. You'll note that each Arcology has its own element and theme, and they also have short backstories that can be found in-game and in other sources. Since we're pretty stupid, we'll choose the Arcology with the name that's easiest to pronounce. Luckily, the Praetorian Caste is perfectly suited to a big, dumb sword guy.

29dadd2f3d.png

Looking dumb! The game spits out a letter code that anyone can use to replicate our chargen, and we can also save it to disk for reuse... or Tweet it, apparently. Progress! CoQ is partly procedurally generated, so there's also the option to enter a specific world seed instead of having one randomly selected.

f3a849cc8a.png

The final step is to choose a name.

6b57a75e59.png

Finally, here are some sample screens from the "Mutated Human" category, because you didn't get to see them and you might be curious. Basically, you've got wacky Power Rangers monster physical mutations ("Chimera" Morphotype), and then mental mutations ("Esper" Morphotype) that totally aren't magic spells. You can optionally specialize in Esper or Chimera so that if you choose random mutations on level-up, you receive only one kind or the other. You can also select up to 4 points' worth of optional defects that grant that many more points to spend on the good stuff.

b0eff491e6.png

cec69e8ffe.png

e6ab9aa917.png

a133a2f4f7.png

Note that the dry, friendly tone I've used throughout chargen will probably degenerate into shitposting once the game is properly underway, mainly because that's more entertaining but also for purposes of self-aggrandizement and Brofist-harvesting.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Make a Mustawd character plz

Well, we're going to go with Mutant of course, because you're not a pure white Aryan. You'll need a very high Agility so that you can more easily make it through roadblocks to detonate your suicide bomb, high Willpower to resist the propaganda and temptations of the infidels, and a good Ego because you're sure of your cause. Strength and Toughness are low thanks to malnutrition, while Intelligence is lowest of all due to your lack of education and left-wing (in the West only) political leanings.

513b698e03.png

We're definitely going for physical mutations. Phasing should come in handy for bypassing roadblocks at capitalist checkpoints en route to detonate your suicide bomb, Heightened Speed will get you there that much faster, Triple-Jointed will increase your odds of dodging assault rifle fire during your holy sprint, and of course no suicide bomber would be complete without the Spontaneous Combustion defect. That gives us a few more points to spend, so we'll spend them on Horns, since those will be covered by your turban anyway,

f4720575cd.png

ab23ab5bb6.png

3107f88e75.png

e1a1a859f9.png

5431d8c730.png

Now you just need a speciality (Apostle, to spread the glory of Islam; it's hidden under the name pane, but it's there) and a name, and we're off!

822dab5869.png

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Interesting that hooked feet are apparently worse than spontaneous combustion. Also neutral intelligence doesn't seem dumb to me. You're not roleplaying hard enough! You get an +20 bonus skill points per level already, don't be greedy.

Oh, and if you're going to call yourself Buff Hardslab, you'd better find a nice white jumpsuit to wear. It just wouldn't be the same otherwise.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Interesting that hooked feet are apparently worse than spontaneous combustion. Also neutral intelligence doesn't seem dumb to me. You're not roleplaying hard enough! You get an +20 bonus skill points per level already, don't be greedy.

Oh, and if you're going to call yourself Buff Hardslab, you'd better find a nice white jumpsuit to wear. It just wouldn't be the same otherwise.

I won't be roleplaying the stupidity portion. That will be real, ergo no need to fake it.

As for the defects, I imagine the combustion itself isn't swiftly fatal, whereas having to dump already-precious water over yourself in the middle of combat could easily be. Hooked feet are probably annoying most of the time.

Chapter 2: Arrival

As it turns out, it's tricky to grab a screenshot of the opening splash pane, so the dates don't match up because I had to restart several times in order to snag one. Oh well! The rest of the text is the same. I'll be employing an alternative method of grabbing splash pane screenshots from now on.

2bbe253469.png

Let's have a look around. I see Satan, Blue Guy, Guy in a Robe, Purple Cat, cowboys with poles, vines, water, and some buildings and torches.

9c42b8f6aa.png

Looking around for descriptions:

8a68666ba1.png
ac6789a8f6.png
e2e26c29e9.png
0683b8171e.png
0d887f5d96.png
a5f8764ae4.png
54f6e7aa52.png
Well, there you have it. We're in a village called Joppa where watervine farmers harvest the juicy, nourishing wafers of the watervine plant for a living; the blue guy is some sort of centaur and the constable, they have a purple space cat, and there's an annoying preacher running around.

Clearly, the first thing on the to-do list is to pet the cat.

d5313a824b.png

f20b59b904.png

dc85ed701d.png

Barely a minute in and Buff Hardslab's already grabbing the game right by the pussy. Yuge!

But wait, what is Buff carrying? What's he wearing?

1902850dfb.png

677a6a7b06.png

Some nice shit, that's what. Armor, a fine sword, a cloak, various flavors of concoctions, a rifle, gadgets, torches, food, and plenty of waterbux (water doubles as currency in CoQ). We're well-equipped and ready for anything.

Obviously, Buff needs to talk to Satan next.

6fe2ff88aa.png

f0c2f0b445.png

1609929331.png

Buff's very first quest! How exciting! Now, let's open up the overworld map and find Red Rock. (Using the Look command's cursor, I counted an 80 x 25 grid on this map; that's an area of 2,000 grid squares. From my previous playthroughs, I know that each square of the overworld map grid is itself a 3x3 grid of one-room game screens like the one Buff is standing in at Joppa, which means the overworld alone is about 18,000 rooms. With the underworld and labyrinths, who knows? This is a big game world.)

30bd6c574d.png

Here it is.

04dbab5899.png

Hmmm. I wonder what Robes Guy has to say?

5668219e8d.png

225634802a.png

[Let's ask him about 2)]
f1083ab535.png

No need to be rude. Might as well grab another quest.

In the next chapter, Buff will finish up in Joppa, and then head on out into the wild to hit stuff.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
I started playing CoQ again recently too. My second character was killed right after entering Red Rock by a random unique Baboon hero. Another character was killed by an oversized pig with a cannon for a snot. Good times.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Looks fun, is it tricky to learn to play?

It's a Roguelike, so yes, it's a bit tricky. The controls were particularly daunting for me because I use a tenkeyless keyboard. QoC's default controls rely heavily on the numpad, I don't like their alternative non-numpad layout (some people do), and rebinding a bunch of shit that I wasn't even familiar with yet in a sensible and efficient fashion was no simple task. Still, I did it, mainly by staring at the keybindings screen and messing around for a good long while.

Let's Play or no (and I make no guarantees about how often it'll be updated, but hopefully several times per week), I'm not the biggest fan of Roguelikes, because despite the inclined nature of permadeath and learning things the hard way, the practical result in many Roguelikes is that you're faced with a lot of repetition. In QoC's beginning, it's go to Joppa, rob the empty houses, talk to everyone, do some trading, explore around outside and kill some animals (and hopefully find a secret merchant that can appear there; found it once), then head to Red Rock and hope you don't get rekt on the way through. Make a mistake and you're doing all of that again, albeit in a slightly different fashion and possibly with a different character build, but nonetheless repetition is a fundamental aspect of Roguelikes and one of the primary means by which players learn and eventually master the game.

CoQ seems pretty exceptional to me in a lot of ways, so I'm giving it more than a fair shake and will be pretty persistent until I can at least get midway through the game or so.

Unwanted

DrDigej

Unwanted
Looks fun, is it tricky to learn to play?
Pick 'Teleport' skill. Be unkillable. Its instant and does not require line of sight. In danger you just blink to a map border and and step over. Enemies that are too far away freeze, its something like 20 tiles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom