Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

Trivia, Encyclopedia, Deduction, Authority?

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It is the subconscious of a late stage alcoholic who has shit on top of his already shitty life. If you combine these images with the rather explicit message from our Winter Solstice trailer, you'll get a glimpse at the background vibes in No Truce With the Furies
What I'm saying is that these pics are disturbing and clearly meant to be this way unlike the rest of the art you've revealed so far. Your desire to experiment is understandable but here you risk losing thematic coherence so I hope you know what you're doing.

Since you brought this up: the trailer seemed emotionally neutral, its apocalyptic message notwithstanding.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Kasparov

CW from the top left: small-mindedness/intolerance, learning and emotional empathy, capacity for self-destructive mental processes, depth of acceptable cognitive dissonance (edit: actually I think it's self realization in conflict with cognitive dissonance).

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
furries !!??
reading is teh hard
multi-faced dickhead...
...eats arms and legs, oh god its heavan.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Wow, some of those are really out there. Thanks for the few asspats too.

Our Art Lead Rostov had more to say about these on TIG Source forums, so I´m reproducing his Holiday greeting blurb and his musings about these so called skill portraits. Might be interesting for some of you, too:

Hey y'all! We're back from our winter slumber, have been for a week now. Let me tell you taking that time off really hit the spot this year. I remember last christmas I couldn't keep my hands off work, I think I was modeling furniture right up till christmas dinner. This time around the stress built up over the year made not doing stuff for a while a really appealing premise. It was good to rest but now we're back.

I started the year off thinking about our skill logos. We've considered many options from graphic logos like those in Alpha Centauri's tech tree to styling them after German Expressionist linocut prints or maybe even corner of the page notebook scribbles. But since skills talk to you in the middle of the dialogue we figured what they really need is a portrait. And I mean really "This guy went to art school" portrait. Here's a first pass at some of the portraits for a few skills under intellect:

The plan is that as you put more points into a skill the portrait also evolves. Gets splashes of color, graphic elements and so forth. In the end you'll be running around with some really tricked out skills.

There's some problems with the portraits too as some people have pointed out. They're quite moody but dialogue can range from some seriously depressing shit to outright hilarity which might start to clash with the ever-brooding skill portraits.

Also stylistically the skill portraits are built on soft edge hierarchies while character portraits are built on sharp edges and energetic splashes of paint. The juxtaposition of two different styles for metaphysical and physical portraits was intentional and sounds like it should work on paper but this might prove to be a problem when you're actually playing the game. I might have to rethink the skill portraits a little, but here's a start.

Feels good to be back!

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Oh, no! Double post! Why'd you let me do that, you guys?!

"INTRODUCING METRIC – (ARGUABLY) THE WORLD’S SIMPLEST ROLE PLAYING SYSTEM"

"We are magnificent machineries of joy.
Machines of joy and then some."

- Yan Scott Wilkinson

notruce-metric.png

Lets talk systems. In No Truce With The Furies your character has four Attributes. These fall into groups of two – mental and bodily. Your mental Attributes are Intellect and Psyche, your bodily Attributes are Physique and Motorics. Depending on your choices in character creation you may begin the game with 1-6 points in any given Attribute.

Every Attribute has six Skills.

In the beginning the amount of points you have in a Skill is equal to it’s parent Attribute. During the game you gain more points (Experience) by completing tasks and discovering secrets. Experience can be used to unlock Skills – it takes three points to unlock one. Once unlocked you may put more points into your Skill. The maximum amount you can spend on a Skill is equal to it’s Attribute. (Natural aptitude equals the learning cap).

Any character may attempt any task.

The 24 Skills you have cover every action under the sun. There is no difference between dialogue and combat. Just roll two six sided dice and add however much you have in the Skill that represents what you’re up to. Want to hit something, add Hand / Eye Coordination. Want to fall in love, add Electrochemistry. The sum must be higher than the task’s difficulty. A normal task takes 10 or above to complete. Some rolls are handled behind the scenes, these are called Passive. Others are performed by the player, these are called Active.

That’s it. It took us fifteen years, five designers and a handful of dedicated players to come up with it. It’s the simplest role playing system our minds could muster – with the maximum amount of depth and tension hidden in the folds. We call it Metric.

To recap.

In character creation you decide your Attributes. These 4 scores represent both your natural aptitude and learning cap in the 24 Skills that cover everything a human being needs to function. The rest of the game is spent fleshing out – and struggling against – these limitations. There are unexpected ways to overcome yourself. And inversely, being talented at something comes with a price.

For the real lowdown — instead of telling you how the Attributes help — let me tell you how they make things worse.

INTELLECT
A high Intellect makes you overly confident – a cocksure intellectual. You’re vulnerable to flattery, and easily lose yourself in details. (The game becomes longer). While having a low Intellect makes you dim and superficial, prone to superstition and being plain wrong.

PSYCHE
A high Psyche comes with emotional turmoil – an unstable psychophant. Great willpower clashing with wild imagination. You may even lose your mind. While a low Psyche makes you uninspiring, inept at influencing people. Unsavoury things come out of your mouth.

PHYSIQUE
Okay, you’re strong but so is your death drive – a mad man and a psycho killer. A high Physique needs to be tested, needs addiction, sex and physical confrontation. You lose your shit over small things. While being un-physical means vulnerable, un-streetwise. Lacking in animal cool.

MOTORICS
A Motoric character is too high strung – a bit of a cokehead. A quicksilver superdetective focusing fast and then reacting (too) sharply. While being low on Motoric means you’re locked into yourself. The world has trouble finding you. You’re clumsy and slow.

We’ve found combing these weaknesses produces more unique characters than combining strengths. Sure, there are strengths too. The obvious ones and the less obvious. More on those once we get to listing the actual Skills.

Til then,
the battle-worn design team of No Truce With The Furies.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
PSYCHE
A high Psyche comes with emotional turmoil – an unstable psychophant. Great willpower clashing with wild imagination. You may even lose your mind. While a low Psyche makes you uninspiring, inept at influencing people. Unsavoury things come out of your mouth.

Typo or setting specific jargon? 'Cause I'm trying to figure out if this means you're out there yelling 'there's a psycho!' at all the psychopaths or if it means wearing your emotions on your sleeve.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
PSYCHE

Typo or setting specific jargon? 'Cause I'm trying to figure out if this means you're out there yelling 'there's a psycho!' at all the psychopaths or if it means wearing your emotions on your sleeve.

Jargon. Where a hierophant interprets arcana, a psychophant does the same for psyche, if you will. The book Robert wrote was well received because of his original use of language and invented words. Not unlike what Gene Wolfe is known for, I guess, but more original in my opinion. No Truce takes place in that same fictional world.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Oh, no! Double post! Why'd you let me do that, you guys?!
there is a limit to our hype and you have reached it by now
Hey, you don´t feel like, hypin', drop one of those funny furry lines. Gets me every time, thigh slappin' and everything
every time you feel bad for double posting, pm me and Ill save you the trouble.

I assume you have a jar at workplace which needs to be filled every time someone drops furry joke. Similar to cake for portal devs
There can never be enough furry jokes. Whatever goes into the jar, promptly goes out of the jar to the nearest coffee shop

EDIT: You could say our team members are all individuals with high Motorics and Physique - and they run on beans first well roasted, then finely ground and imbibed with hot water

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Damn now that is an interesting take on attributes. I dont think any other rpg (that i have played) does this. it is always more is always better, so you just pump points into it.

So pretty much we cannot make a character without some flaw unless you make an ultra average joe

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
There can never be enough furry jokes. Whatever goes into the jar, promptly goes out of the jar to the nearest coffee shop

EDIT: You could say our team members are all individuals with high Motorics and Physique - and they run on beans first well roasted, then finely ground and imbibed with hot water

Woah, you are quite a bans of furiats. Damn, but being more serious... I love this. So far, I'm waiting for this like for hot pizza coming to me.

Also... Can you remember about those of us that like digging into secrets and actually left some kind of debug mode after you finish? I know it is far from that, but doesn't harm to ask, I guess.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
was it a team decision to call this game no truce with the furies

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
PHYSIQUE
Okay, you’re strong but so is your death drive – a mad man and a psycho killer. A high Physique needs to be tested, needs addiction, sex and physical confrontation. You lose your shit over small things.
Totally raising this to max level. :thumbsup:

dukeofwhales

Cipher
Want to hit something, add Hand / Eye Coordination. Want to fall in love, add Electrochemistry. The sum must be higher than the task’s difficulty.

:love:

this makes me laugh because it's such a specrum-y way of looking at things. but hey, role playing systems! loved this update.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Did you guys notice that NO TRUCE WITH THE FURIES is at SXSW?

Here, I drew some fan art of a showering Klaasje to accompany the news:

SxSW.png

See the rest of ´em here.

Note, how ZA/UM STUDIO has it´s legal name listed. They should have included the VAT code as well, why don´t they

Prime Junta

Who is she and where could I see more of her?

She's a stripper. You will see more of her in the upcoming game, No Truce with the Fur....ies, from the Karelian based game studio ZA/UM.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom