Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2016 Role-Playing Game of the Year & Age of Incline Voting

Kron

Arcane
I think I can seriously count more games I cared about from 2002-2012 than from the supposed incline to this day.

The incline is a false illusion. In my opinion, it had more to do with a general lack of ideas, going back to lazy reboots and rehashing of old ideas; and the need of washed up devs to relive their glory days making mediocre sequels/spiritual sequels.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I think I can seriously count more games I cared about from 2002-2012 than from the supposed incline to this day.

The incline is a false illusion. In my opinion, it had more to do with a general lack of ideas, going back to lazy reboots and rehashing of old ideas; and the need of washed up devs to relive their glory days making mediocre sequels/spiritual sequels.

That's an interesting take on the (so-called) Incline years, but keep in mind 2002-2012 was a longer period of time than 2012-2016.

Kron

Arcane
Marten Broadcloak said:
That's an interesting take on the (so-called) Incline years, but keep in mind 2002-2012 was a longer period of time than 2012-2016.

Obviously true.

The point made above me though, was that beyond the number of years, the overall number of quality games has increased.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So much for """incline""". Most of these games have been total insipid uninspired crap. I can literally count the ones I cared about with a single hand.

It really is depressing to see how the years fly by (on the one hand 2012 seems like yesterday, but at the same time it feels like so long ago) and that there is still an incredible lack of bold, captivating and creative ideas.
Or maybe the problem is that you focused on the wrong games?

From my perspective, I got to play Dark Souls, Of Orcs and Men, Defender's Quest, Chronicles of Mystara, Agarest: Generations of War, Blackguards, NEO Scavenger, Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Valkyria Chronicles, Lightning Returns, Sunless Sea, Way of the Samurai 4, Undertale, Hand of Fate, Age of Decadence, Dragon's Dogma, Salt & Sanctuary, Tale of Wuxia...

That's a lot more creative than Wasteland 2, D:OS, PoE, Tyranny, Twitcher 3, Fallout 4, etc. Most Kickstarters were fueled by nostalgia, not creativity.

Lostpleb

Learned
Triggering GIF is triggering. +M

I voted Saturday Morning RPG for 2012, because Saturday Mornings will make anything the best.

Expedition: Conquistadors for 2013 because I helped with a fan localization (allegedly).

Agarest: Generations of War for 2014 because making babies in an RPG.

Fallen:A2P protocol for 2015 because of all the random, gratuitous profanities.

I Am Setsuna for 2016 because let's be real, RPG Maker is the shit.

sstacks

Arcane
The Codex's favorite time of the year, when it gets to argue about so many different things at the same time it forgets what it's pissed off about :P

felipepepe So you decided not to include Skyrim Special Edition, eh? :P I thought that was the purest CRPG of the all!!!

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
As usual arguing about the list and criteria a game needs to make the list is the most enjoyable part. The voting is a mere afterthought. With that said, I demand you put Binding of Isaac rebirth, afterbirth/afterbirth + etc etc on the list! When are we going to vote for who had the best kickstarter game too, my vote would be D:OS (was the nicest surprise) but, I liked Wl2 more.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut is the best game on that list (well, except for the great pseudo-RPGs like Dark Souls).

Post patched White March Pillars of Eternity is also worthy.

Nn, might be more complicated than that,, with games like Undertale.

EDIT:

Forgot about Expeditions. Never mind, this is harder than I thought.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I do find it funny that out of all the "RPG's" released in the new Age of Incline, Divinity Original Sin is one of the ones I enjoyed playing the most. The story was hot garbage but it was so fun to play, it was pretty, and it ran on my shitty computer. I didn't get to play the Enhanced Edition though. Shadowrun Returns is the one that got the ball rolling for me I think. Wasteland 2 was better than nothing, but it was missing a lot. As time goes on I find myself playing less and less of the games released each year, instead going back to the classics I missed in previous years.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I do find it funny that out of all the "RPG's" released in the new Age of Incline, Divinity Original Sin is one of the ones I enjoyed playing the most. The story was hot garbage but it was so fun to play, it was pretty, and it ran on my shitty computer. I didn't get to play the Enhanced Edition though. Shadowrun Returns is the one that got the ball rolling for me I think. Wasteland 2 was better than nothing, but it was missing a lot. As time goes on I find myself playing less and less of the games released each year, instead going back to the classics I missed in previous years.

Now you are thinking with portals.

Give me my 'old' ratings you bastards

Bigg Boss

Arcane

Now you are thinking with portals.

Give me my 'old' ratings you bastards

I had to look up that meme. -1 for meme usage.

sstacks

Arcane
Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut is the best game on that list (well, except for the great pseudo-RPGs like Dark Souls).

I feel like I am in a distinct minority in that I enjoyed the original Shadowrun Returns (Dead Man's Switch) but the two follow ups were kinda meh and I didn't finish either of them. I don't have to have a huge story with lots of companions that tell me their stories over time like a delicate blossoming flower to enjoy a game. It's not necessarily bad, but it can annoy me if not done amazingly well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom