Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2016 Role-Playing Game of the Year & Age of Incline Voting

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Voted, and much applause for doing this, but it seems way too early. Reviewing the "age of incline" without Torment?

EDIT: re: shadow tactics, Commandos didn't rate very highly in the Strategy game poll either. Me and like 4 others voted for it

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I have no feelings towards the game as I haven't even seen concept art for it, I just view it as a definete part of the "first gen." But whatevs, kudos for doing this in any case

Repressed Homosexual
I was about to be pissed off because I was sure that felipe hadn't included Siralim 2... and then I had the surprise to see that he actually did. I have a brand new respect for him all of a sudden.

Siralim 2 is more of an RPG and has more gameplay than all other games of 2016 combined.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
My eyes hurt, whoever made that layout should be killed.

Didn't play most of that junk and from the junk I played it was mostly junk.

In other words, fuck you, there's no incline.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Man, 2016 was a weak-ass year. :( Actually going through that poll has made me sad about how many shitty RPGs have been released in the last 5. Blah.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Shouldn't Open X-Com be included, since the 1.0 milestone was released in 2014?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
2014 and new engine, new content, new expansions.....
As a rule of thumb I avoided listing games twice like D:OS + DO:S Director's Cut simply because of what a slippery slope it is... half the list would be remasters otherwise, and it would likely split the votes.

Also left Shadow Tactics out because the Codex never really considered Commandos-like games RPGs.
Add Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth then, the expansion. Expansions are ok, there's siegue of dragonspear right there.

Also Hard West is there but not Shadow Tactics?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Shouldn't Open X-Com be included, since the 1.0 milestone was released in 2014?
That wouldn't really count as a new game.
Maybe something like the Piratez mod... but that is "only" a mod.
So is Fallout 1.5 Resurrection. Still, having the re-release of these old games interspersed with the new can provide an interesting comparison point once votes are tallied.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tags: RPG Codex; RPG Codex Awards

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the RPG Codex 2016 GOTY voting!

I am disappointed that you decided to go with a mere 1-5 likert scale, as we agreed it would not have been too hard to either have an extra field for the ranking/allocate 25 points over the games how you want. You're now losing information which would have been very easy to gather.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I have no feelings towards the game as I haven't even seen concept art for it, I just view it as a definete part of the "first gen." But whatevs, kudos for doing this in any case

Oh boy, you have no idea what is waiting for you!

:dance:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I am disappointed that you decided to go with a mere 1-5 likert scale, as we agreed it would not have been too hard to either have an extra field for the ranking/allocate 25 points over the games how you want. You're now losing information which would have been very easy to gather.
I left it open to DU - if he wanted to program the text field at the end, we would do both voting systems. He didn't, so Likert it is.

Regardless, the voting is already very extensive, adding a an extra field at the end would further complicate things. And we can do a 25 point voting after Torment, just for the sake of it.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wow, I did not play that many RPGs.

Also lol, Neptunia 1-3 being on the same button. True enough.

D!!

Educated
Looking at this list I'm pleasantly surprised by the fact that so many games from it deserves 5/5: Wasteland 2, Age of Decadence, Underrail, LISA, Shadowrun: Hong Kong... And there were plenty of mediocre to fine RPGs in these 5 years. Last time I played so many RPGs was at the beginning of the 00s.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
That awkward feeling when the two RPGs of the last few years in the list that you liked the very best were Invisible Inc. and Templar Battleforce and both are arguably not even RPGs.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And we can do a 25 point voting after Torment, just for the sake of it.
Yes please :)

200.gif

Kron

Arcane
So much for """incline""". Most of these games have been total insipid uninspired crap. I can literally count the ones I cared about with a single hand.

It really is depressing to see how the years fly by (on the one hand 2012 seems like yesterday, but at the same time it feels like so long ago) and that there is still an incredible lack of bold, captivating and creative ideas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom