Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind modding thread

DraQ

Arcane
And it's an exploit how exactly? A character with ability to absorb, but not generate their own magicka summons an extraplanar being with its own magicka supply and coaxes it to cast spells they can absorb.
Sounds like a perfectly reasonable in-universe workaround to inability to regenerate magicka.

Perfectly reasonable in-universe exploit, you mean?
Not only it removes consequences stunted magicka completely, it also makes regenerating magicka easier than it would be with any other birthsign. No need for mana potions ever (unless you want to spam spells, cause you can do that too now), no need to rest for mana ever. You can insta kill all enemies with your custom spells and regen after every battle.
Look I've done it all and I get it. You can do all sorts of fun things with Morrowind mechanics.
The point is that it becomes boring very quickly. I don't care if it's in-universe. If it breaks game, my advice is not to do it.
Resting is free and most of the time you can rest between battles as much as you want.
Potions are much more convenient than atronach workarounds, and can be prepared fairly easily (even though restore magicka is much rarer effect in MW than in later TES games) so I don't see anything gamebreaking in summoning a ghost or daedra* and convincing it to juice me up.
If you have some blunt weapon aptitude you can also obtain Mace of Molag Bal to serve as your charger.

Daedra are much more efficient magicka sources, especially if you can tailor the spell to your resistances - a Nord sorcerer, for example will be best served by a frost atronach, a Dunmer one or a wearer of Dragonbone Cuirass or Ebony Mail will probably want a flame atronach instead, an Argonian can use Daedroth and some quick reflexes when it hurls lightning instead of poison, etc.
Of course it's best to enchant some portable trinket with the desired summoning spell to make yourself fully independent from your personal magicka reserve.

Old One

Arcane
I created one spell that summons 4 ghosts at the same time for 10 seconds. The only problem is they appear stacked on top of each other so you can't reliably punch just one of them. For that reason I first cast a normal ghost summoning, then I rotate 90 degrees and cast my 4 ghost summoning. Then I punch the first ghost four times. They all attack and juice me up to maximum magicka in one shot, and the four vanish right away. All I have to do is kill the first ghost. My character class is Exploitmancer.

Honestly though, I don't use it that often. Now that I have more money and more potions I either use a shrine blessing or a restore magicka potion. Ghosts are just for emergencies.

I figured out one really simple thing that helped me a lot with FPS. Everything is smooth as butter indoors, but outdoors the rates were dropping quite a lot because of all the objects you see with increase draw distance. Still playable, but I was looking for a way to make it better. I opened up Morrowind.ini and changed the number of shadows setting from 6 to 4. Wow. Instant improvement. And I didn't notice any difference in visual quality. It worked so well I went back and reduced it to 3, which is even better. I might even jack up some other settings now.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
And it's an exploit how exactly? A character with ability to absorb, but not generate their own magicka summons an extraplanar being with its own magicka supply and coaxes it to cast spells they can absorb.
Sounds like a perfectly reasonable in-universe workaround to inability to regenerate magicka.

Perfectly reasonable in-universe exploit, you mean?
Not only it removes consequences stunted magicka completely, it also makes regenerating magicka easier than it would be with any other birthsign. No need for mana potions ever (unless you want to spam spells, cause you can do that too now), no need to rest for mana ever. You can insta kill all enemies with your custom spells and regen after every battle.
Look I've done it all and I get it. You can do all sorts of fun things with Morrowind mechanics.
The point is that it becomes boring very quickly. I don't care if it's in-universe. If it breaks game, my advice is not to do it.
Resting is free and most of the time you can rest between battles as much as you want.
Potions are much more convenient than atronach workarounds, and can be prepared fairly easily (even though restore magicka is much rarer effect in MW than in later TES games) so I don't see anything gamebreaking in summoning a ghost or daedra* and convincing it to juice me up.
If you have some blunt weapon aptitude you can also obtain Mace of Molag Bal to serve as your charger.

Daedra are much more efficient magicka sources, especially if you can tailor the spell to your resistances - a Nord sorcerer, for example will be best served by a frost atronach, a Dunmer one or a wearer of Dragonbone Cuirass or Ebony Mail will probably want a flame atronach instead, an Argonian can use Daedroth and some quick reflexes when it hurls lightning instead of poison, etc.
Of course it's best to enchant some portable trinket with the desired summoning spell to make yourself fully independent from your personal magicka reserve.

did you know the average polish speak only becomes fluent in their language at age 16? the average english speaker becomes fluent in their language at age 12

you're literally from a nation of retards, i hope you realize that lol

DraQ

Arcane
I created one spell that summons 4 ghosts at the same time
Note that vanilla Mor, AFAIK, doesn't allow putting multiple same creatures into 1 spell. You'd have to create multiple spells.
I think MCP fixed that.
Not a reasonable restriction anyway.

Still, 10-15 s of an elemental atronach or daedroth will probably work better for recharge.
Multi-effect cost calculation is rather punishing and ancestral ghosts have weak spells.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I think MCP fixed that.
Not a reasonable restriction anyway.
Well it allows you to summon dremora-walls in very efficient 1-click way. Not that Tribunal/Bloodmoon enemies have that much trouble with them, or that I believe in balance via inconvenience a-la rest supplies in PoE but it does make mage's life easier.
I liked summoning 5-10 cheapest atronachs of same kind and then casting -lower elemental resistance on enemies. Tactical elemental nuking.

Old One

Arcane
elemental atronach or daedroth will probably work better for recharge.
Multi-effect cost calculation is rather punishing and ancestral ghosts have weak spells.
My 4 ghost summoning spell has a casting cost of 13-15, I think. It's not bad at all. I was surprised by how cheap it was. I didn't install any kind of "make spells cost less" mod, either. I guess it's cheap because of the short duration.

You would think atronachs would be better, and frost atronachs perfect, for a nord. Just based on my combat experiences, they don't seem to work very well. It looks like you resist spells before you absorb them, because my nord never gets any magicka from frost atronachs, even though the "absorb" visual effect appears. I'll try flame atronachs and see if they're any better.

If I had to cast four separate ghost summoning spells, I could do it very easily. I've already done it. It's more bothersome, but that's about the extent of it.

To me the exploit potential is a positive not a negative. It can ruin the game, yes, but only if you let it. Aside from that, it's very entertaining and it gets you to think about all the different ways you could use it. Exploits are inevitable with a system that has a conceptual scale as grandiose as the Spellmaker, but I'd rather have something flawed but ambitious than something simple and boring.

I lowered my number of shadows setting to 2. It didn't seem to make any more difference in performance, so for me the ideal seems to be 3.

Space Insect

Arcane
Is the Great House Dagoth mod very good? I need to decide whether to do that or join House Telvanni with Rise or House Telvanni, Uvirith's Legacy, LGNPC, and Building Uvirith's Legacy.

Miner Arobar

Educated
It's been a long time since I played with Great House Dagoth, but if I recall you're not precluded from joining any of the other houses. I played it precisely as a Telvanni.

Hey nerds, some fag interviewed some nasally voiced fag about Morrowind modding. Also I'm the interviewee. If you have extreme brain problems you might want to listen to an hour and a half of me rambling about Morrowind modding and attempting to present me broad Scottish accent in a way that people understand while also guzzling cheap wine because it wasn't a very exciting friday night really. dongs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Fu2nKbPK4

circ

Arcane
You sound like you're from Edinburah. You're also both smoking pipes, though the interviewers pipe seems to be a pretty fancy one and Jimbobs is the size of an airplane hangar because there's a lot of echo.

Kalon

Scholar
If you guys like crazy mods, check out this site: http://azuras-touch.com/dl/
I suspect the modder in charge is half-crazy himself. The description pages are so full of acronyms, obscure made-up words and privates jokes only he can understand it feels like reading stuff by David Foster Wallace. As in, "This Page is where i'll put my ATZs, which are Stubs intended for MWAT, but they don't rely on MWAT, so they can be played even by the most notorious of MWAT Haters, or by players who simply are too afraid to enter the Horrible Realm of Friendship and Battle which MWAT is." Even Microsoft help pages are more user-friendly than that.

Gord

Arcane
If you want to play a pure mage or anything remotely close to that, PLEASE listen to what catfood just said
Fatigue and Magicka Overhaul because I don't want to have to rest 24 hours after casting 2 fireballs.

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43130/?tab=1&navtag=http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/ajax/moddescription/?id=43130&preview=&pUp=1

So I wanted to give the latest openMW build a try and decided to test a few convenience mods, as well, including this one.
Interestingly, my stamina isn't decreasing at all while running (even with a lvl 1 char) and I wondered if that is normal when using that mod?

It doesn't seem to be due to openMW, though, as it happens with the original engine, as well, but I do get some errors on loading it there, likely due to using the german base game.

Xeon

Augur
Started over and got Tamriel Rebuilt and Rebirth, I didn't install Graphic overhaul or anything world textures, Not sure which mod is responsible but when I installed them, I had a building with a tree in the middle of it and one where the road is cut, looked pretty bugged out and messy so trying it without, seems good and with no problems so far.

Got these mods as well:
- Morrowind Code Patch
- Better Dialogue Font
- Graphic Herbalism
- Signposts Retextured
- Better bodies & Vvardenfell Visages Volume I for faces, I think these 2 are the ones used in Overhaul, kinda got used to them and want to stick with them.
- Also Got Darknut's Armor, Weapon, Clothes and Creature.
- Galsiah's Character Development standard, Don't like the leveling system of the base game so kinda trying out this one, so far so good, hope it keeps at it.

One of the mods changes the behavior of the wild lifes (No idea if it affects Cliff Racers as well yet) so don't think I'll need to install a special mod for that. Also wanted to install Less Generic NPCs, not sure if its the same one as the one on the Nexus but from comments it seems it adds a lot of unnecessary fluff or something so I skipped that.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
One of the mods changes the behavior of the wild lifes (No idea if it affects Cliff Racers as well yet) so don't think I'll need to install a special mod for that. Also wanted to install Less Generic NPCs, not sure if its the same one as the one on the Nexus but from comments it seems it adds a lot of unnecessary fluff or something so I skipped that.

They added lots of small quests, which I though improved the game. But the various LGNPC mods vary in scope and quality, being made by different people. And with not all towns being modded, it makes the towns more diverse, which is both good and bad.

Regarding Galsiah's, one problem I had with it was that it didn't track temporary stat increases, so your character level would fluctuate. Hopefully it's been fixed during the past 10 years...

Xeon

Augur
I think Galsiah's Character Development mod gives you auto regen or something but I could be wrong and another mod is doing that, at the start I didn't notice it but the higher level I am getting, the faster the regen is getting and not just magica but health as well I think, that's kinda trivializing[?] the whole experience. Wonder if I picked the Hard ESP instead of Standard, there will be no regen.

Things I kinda like, Assassin doesn't strike right away anymore, it struck when I was at level 9. That's good, I was thinking of installing the mod to prevent them from attacking until I finish the main quest line of base game before the DLC stuff activates.

Jazz_

Arcane
Stupid question perhaps but is there a way to tell if I'm playing with Morrowind Rebirth? I mean I have activated it in the data files but I can't really tell if the mod is working, the graphics and everything seem exactly like in vanilla Morrowind..

Xeon

Augur
In the starting building, there is 2 scrolls on the desk after you talk to the old man when picking a class, one is the information about you that you need to pick up, the other information iirc about the imperials and a jail place with the a guard that follows you when you try to sneak.

There is a lot of changes in Seyda Neen, a well and a lot of new buildings that you can immediately see.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom