Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best 2016 Games List

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The best RPGs of 2016 were the ones you didn't have time to play in 2014 and 2015, pretty much.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Salt and Sanctuary was the best 2016 release in my opinion. I bought others, but I haven't played them yet.

KK1001

Arbiter
2016 was okay. Feels like the industry isn't flat lining anymore, which is a good sign. I'd put 2016 on par with 2011.

The decade is still pretty ass so far. My guess is that it will sort of a be reverse 00s: starts out shit and ends up seeing some innovation, finally, near the end. Don't hold your breath through.

A horse of course

reverse 00s: starts out shit and ends up seeing some innovation, finally, near the end.

V448y62.gif

GrainWetski

Arcane
The best RPGs of 2016 were the ones you didn't have time to play in 2014 and 2015, pretty much.
The best one was translated and released in 2016, but released in 2004 originally.

Unless we're counting Dragon's Dogma as a 2016 game which we can since 60 FPS instead of 20 does so much for it.

RuySan

Augur
The only games released in 2016 that I played were Grim Dawn and XCOM2. Like both. So here's my list:

1. Grim Dawn
2. XCOM 2

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
> Dark Souls 3

> Witcher 3: Blood and Wine Expansion

> DOOM (2016)

> HITMAN (2016)

> Shadow Warior 2 - the enemy design (and their buffs), the loot system and the weapon balancing are bad but the core gameplay and some missions level design is pretty damn good and enjoyable

> Rainbow Six: Siege - yes it was release in the middle of december in 2015, but the game really started to shine by the summer when Skull Rain was approaching.

> Battlefield 1

> ENDERAL: Shards of Order - it's a total conversion mod fot Skyrim by the same team that made NEHRIM, you can expect the same quality of world building, exploration and quests has in Gothic 1/2 and Morrowind, hovewer since it uses Skyrim's combat the WildCat Combat, TK Dodge and Attack Commitment mod's are a must, and for sneaking a mod like Dynamic Stealth or Immersive Detection of NPC is needed (Frostfall is a high recomendation if you are also looking for a survival playtrough)

> DEUS EX: Mankind Divided

> Dragon's Dogma

> Shadow Tactics

> Super Hot

> Furi

> Stardew Valley

> Salt and Sanctuary

This are from the games I played this year and think they were the best. Haven't played Overwatch so can't talk about it, although after playing Paladins (wich is pretty much the same thing) can see were's the appeal but not worth 50 euros. Titanfall 2 seems gud though (haven't played yet).
I would say that last year was great for shooters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom