Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Star citizen, starbound, torment, each time you pledge big , it turns to shit...Please stop , you jinx it all the time, keep the money buy yourself a new sport car or something.
Btw 1000$ pledge, does that mean your real life pic is added as one of those awesome npc portrait ? Sorry to pour some salt in your open wounds.

Oh, I stopped years ago when the shitshows started to roll off the assembly line. I learned my lesson with WL2 and PoE. T:ToN might actually have been my last substantial pledge. I doubt I'll donate to any crowdfunding campaign again.

No, in-game backer inserts, NPCs, portraits, and memorials are cancer. I went for the art print instead.

Sizzle

Arcane
If I am not mistaken, during or after the kickstarter campaign there were talks about a companion which is a strange blob that can shapeshift depending on your orders?!
Is that still in?
No, it was cut.

It was called "Oom", formerly known as the Toy during the Kickstarter. It has very few hits in the beta's files, mostly "what do you think of Oom?" with no answer.

Oom deflates for a moment, wobbling listlessly in a peculiar circuit. When you start to walk away, it takes some seconds for Oom to follow.

Party banter:

"Go away, Oom. Go be a puddle someplace."
"Oom is... becoming different. It's even more... Oom. OOM, as it were."
"Isn't Oom cute? Even when it's attacking and slicing and murdering people, it's still adorable."
"Oom will never leave us, will it? Oom will never die, right? Tell me Oom will be with us always and forever."
"So tell me, Oom. Can you really transform into *anything*?"
"You're just getting older, Oom. It happens to most people. And blobs."
"I remember when Oom was just a toy. Quiet. Friendly. {Sad}Was willing to play more."
"You know just how to cheer me up, Oom."

[Oom twists his head slightly and looks a you curiously.]

Matkina:

"I'd rather lie with Oom than touch him."

They cut one of their own stretch goals (not to mention - just about the only companion, apart from MCA's, of course, I was looking forward to)?

Real classy, inXile.

Fairfax

Arcane
No, it was cut.

Has somebody (Avellone?) told you this or are you assuming based on what you see in beta files?
Alpha and beta files. Both Oom and Riastrad (another cut companion) were supposed to appear in Sagus Cliffs, and they had a ton of mentions and files removed from alpha to beta. Also the devs haven't mentioned "nine companions" since 2015.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No, it was cut.

Has somebody (Avellone?) told you this or are you assuming based on what you see in beta files?
Alpha and beta files. Both Oom and Riastrad (another cut companion) were supposed to appear in Sagus Cliffs, and they had a ton of mentions and files removed from alpha to beta. Also the devs haven't mentioned "nine companions" since 2015.

Try asking one of the devs about on Twitter? I've created a thread on their forums.

Fairfax

Arcane
No, it was cut.

Try asking one of the devs about on Twitter? I've created a thread on their forums.

Some people, eh? :lol: You should've included Riastrad. He's even more likely to have been cut.

Not sure if I've posted this before, but spoilers in case he wasn't cut:

Riastrad was a castoff that was basically liquid metal armour, with a female ghost companion called Satsada.
This was from the quest in which you were supposed to recruit him, I believe:

Inquire after Riastrad in the Cliff's Edge district.
Help Riastrad and Satsada escape from the Memovira's thugs.
Casmeen and Mimeon told you that they don't know how to fix the resonance chamber, but they know it was built by a castoff. One of the two castoffs known to be in the city, a glaive named Riastrad, might be able to lead you to the chamber's builder.
The only direction Casmeen and Mimeon could give in finding Riastrad was that he's been known to hang around in the Cliff's Edge district.
Riastrad was seized by followers of a crime boss called the Memovira, and he's now in a fortified house in Cliff's Edge. If you want to speak to him, you'll have to find a way inside.
Having gained entrance to the House Where Secrets Die, you must free Riastrad and facilitate his and Satsada's escape.
You rescued Riastrad and Satsada from the House Where Secrets Die, and in gratitude shared what information they had. The resonance chamber was built by a man named Mazzof, and he can most likely be found in Miel Avest, a secret compound where castoffs gather.
When you finally found Riastrad, both he and his ghostly companion were raving mad, and needed to be put down. Whatever knowledge of the resonance chamber's builder they might have had, died with them.
You spoke to Satsada, the ghostly companion of Riastrad, and convinced her to reveal the information you needed. The resonance chamber was built by a castoff named Mazzof, and the most likely place to find him is Miel Avest, a secret compound where castoffs gather.
You left Sagus Cliffs for the Valley of Dead Heroes without attempting to find Riastrad.
Riastrad apparently keeps company with a woman - or perhaps a ghost - called Satsada, who never leaves his side.
Riastrad and his companion, Satsada, appear to have lost their minds and are now trying to kill everyone in the House.

Other mentions:

"I knew Riastrad. Glaive, covered in living metal armor. He had some underworld connections. It didn't end well for him. Last I heard, he scrambled his brain trying to change his past with dodgy numenera. For the rest of the castoffs - no. I keep to myself. And I'll thank you to keep my existence a secret."

If the player was forced to kill Riastrad and Satsada in the House Where Secrets Die and Riastrad is in the bar now, Dhama should say that Riastrad's ghostly companion is dead, and he is nothing but an empty shell now.

"Do you know a glaive named Riastrad? A big man wearing armor that flows and changes? Walks like he's asleep?"

Satsada's voice whispers from Riastrad. "Look here, if you please. One must trace a pattern across these glyphs. Witness."

"Some of us... our brother Riastrad, for instance... were better than the rest, and those better castoffs suffer. So listen up: every one of us spreads pain like a growing cancer. We all use each other for our own ends, and someone always gets broken at the end of it."

(Matkina) "I thought you were going to help Riastrad. I don't want to threaten, but I will: He's one of the good ones, and I say that of precious few people."

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
So apparently there will be a retail physical Collector's Edition in stores which will be less expensive...and have more stuff in it than the backers' CE. :lol:
https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=16984

Fuck me for giving money to Sleezy Fargo. :negative:
Say what you will about Obsidian and Josh but they're honest guys who delivered everything that was promised when it comes to scope (quality is certainly up to discussion). With Sleezy Fargo, Nazi Beeckers and that faggot sea you just can't help but feel screwed over again and again.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So apparently there will be a retail physical Collector's Edition in stores which will be less expensive...and have more stuff in it (?) than the backers' CE.

That's something I wouldn't have minded much before, really. I can see the reasoning that when backing you backed more to help the game being made than to get stuff. But they've pissed me off too much lately to be so understanding.

Regardless, I wish the game would so great that would make want to buy one too. If it turns out poorly, then whatever, I won't really care what I get anyway and maybe I can sell it. Though I'm trying to get rid of my W2 collector's edition with no success so maybe not.

I've created a thread on their forums.

inb4 corporate standardized answer which states it wasn't really cut, but folded into other things, so it's exactly as if it was there. All to provide the best experience, of course.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
If I am not mistaken, during or after the kickstarter campaign there were talks about a companion which is a strange blob that can shapeshift depending on your orders?!
Is that still in?
No, it was cut.

It was called "Oom", formerly known as the Toy during the Kickstarter. It has very few hits in the beta's files, mostly "what do you think of Oom?" with no answer.

Oom deflates for a moment, wobbling listlessly in a peculiar circuit. When you start to walk away, it takes some seconds for Oom to follow.

Party banter:

"Go away, Oom. Go be a puddle someplace."
"Oom is... becoming different. It's even more... Oom. OOM, as it were."
"Isn't Oom cute? Even when it's attacking and slicing and murdering people, it's still adorable."
"Oom will never leave us, will it? Oom will never die, right? Tell me Oom will be with us always and forever."
"So tell me, Oom. Can you really transform into *anything*?"
"You're just getting older, Oom. It happens to most people. And blobs."
"I remember when Oom was just a toy. Quiet. Friendly. {Sad}Was willing to play more."
"You know just how to cheer me up, Oom."

[Oom twists his head slightly and looks a you curiously.]

Matkina:

"I'd rather lie with Oom than touch him."

What a crime.

So apparently there will be a retail physical Collector's Edition in stores which will be less expensive...and have more stuff in it (?) than the backers' CE.

That's something I wouldn't have minded much before, really. I can see the reasoning that when backing you backed more to help the game being made than to get stuff. But they've pissed me off too much lately to be so understanding.

Regardless, I wish the game would so great that would make want to buy one too. If it turns out poorly, then whatever, I won't really care what I get anyway and maybe I can sell it. Though I'm trying to get rid of my W2 collector's edition with no success so maybe not.

Yeah it's not a big deal, it's not like they are starting to sell the backer edition to everyone and after all, you can argue that it being a limited backer CE in itself makes it more rare and unique. It's just that stuff like that (KSaunders fired under nebulus circumstances, console version, last minute changes to appeal to retards etc.) adds up and creates a pretty bad image of Fargo in my mind

Sleezy Fargo is at it again.
Anyway, I'm actually still hopeful this game will turn out decent despite all the negativity here. Yeah you can call me out on this quote when Torment turns out to be complete shit but I predict the game will be a solid 7-8 for C&C, unusual setting and atmosphere fags like me +M

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I think it will be decent at least.
My biggest problem from what I played so far was what I expected it to be: fucking onscreen walkthroughs in the crises. I only had an actual fight so far, the one with the drones you can switch off and it pissed me off greatly because the game just gives me information my character has no business knowing. That crisis would've been so much better if you were left alone to discover the switches one by one and keep wondering "are there more like this? can i turn all drones off?" and so on instead of having a fucking counter on the screen.
I mean, why even have that? Anyone with half a brain would start putting 2 and 2 together after finding the first switch. But I assume inXile's target audience doesn't even have that.

And yes, the fact that you can hide them with "just one click(tm)" is just another slap in the face. No, there's no point in doing that. You will read them before doing it whether you want to or not.

And no, Infinitard, they're not "JUST LIKE JOURNAL ENTRIES IN PST LOL" You know what is like journal entries? Journal entries.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Sleezy Fargo is at it again.
Anyway, I'm actually still hopeful this game will turn out decent despite all the negativity here. Yeah you can call me out on this quote when Torment turns out to be complete shit but I predict the game will be a solid 7-8 for C&C, unusual setting and atmosphere fags like me +M

you poor men

Prime Junta

There isn't much consequence in the beta, even if there is choice.

There are multiple ways to solve and resolve quests, and there is ability-gated content (ie., if you pick anything other than Intellect-maxing nano, you'll miss out).

There's also a shitload of side content, most of which is several cuts above "bring me 10 pieces of mountain goat meat."

Whether that's enough to make it worth suffering the awful UI and reading through the overly wordy and generally banal dialogue is, of course, still open, and ultimately largely a matter of taste.

AMG

Arbiter
What a boring quest for them to show-off...

It basically resolves to a couple of skill checks and a straight up fight with the monster.
At least it wasn't about a drowning kid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom