Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
They also fully reveal the game's "main objective," MacGuffin, and menacing cosmic horror within the opening minutes of the game, ruining much of any potential sense of mystery.

Some say those aren't supposed to be the Mysteries (tm) of this game because they've been known since the KS launch.

But in that case I can only wonder what ARE the mysteries of this game, because I swear to Gawd, the beta ends with you leaving Sagus Cliffs, and in the entirety of Sagus Cliffs I've learnt absolutely nothing new and made no real progress whatsoever. You start the game and learn that muh castoffs may be able to repair your macguffin. You leave Sagus having learnt that the castoffs who may be able to repair your macguffin are in another castle. Fin.

10/10 great captivating story.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
They also fully reveal the game's "main objective," MacGuffin, and menacing cosmic horror within the opening minutes of the game, ruining much of any potential sense of mystery.

Some say those aren't supposed to be the Mysteries (tm) of this game because they've been known since the KS launch.

But in that case I can only wonder what ARE the mysteries of this game, because I swear to Gawd, the beta ends with you leaving Sagus Cliffs, and in the entirety of Sagus Cliffs I've learnt absolutely nothing new and made no real progress whatsoever. You start the game and learn that muh castoffs may be able to repair your macguffin. You leave Sagus having learnt that the castoffs who may be able to repair your macguffin are in another castle. Fin.

10/10 great captivating story.

That certainly did occur to me, but like you, I wonder how they're going to cram the Real Mystery™ into the margins.

...Hey, it's a mystery within a mystery! What's the Real Mystery™?! It's a mystery! inXile confirmed for 5D chessmasters!

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Furthermore, even the very name "Last Castoff" reveals more to the player than it should. If you know that the Changing God makes castoffs, and you know that you are the last one of those castoffs, then you know that something drastic has occurred in the Changing God's life/routine/etc., something different than before... but not by deducing this fact. The name's just there and simply gives it away.

Isn't that a bit of a stretch? The castoff is last as in "latest". The fact that changing god fucked up royally.. well, this we get to know the first minutes of the game anyway seeing the situation at which PC is cast off.

PS: You are the changing god or will have a chance to become it. Calling it now.

Fry

Arcane
So, is all this wailing based on the assumption that the objectives and mysteries that are revealed in the beta won't change throughout the game, or has someone mined the game files for additional info?

Judging 20% of a story on anything but prose style seems kinda dumb.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
So, is all this wailing based on the assumption that the objectives and mysteries that are revealed in the beta won't change throughout the game, or has someone mined the game files for additional info?

It's inxile, any assumptions about potential ineptitude on their part, are most likely justified.

Fry

Arcane
Could be. I'm certainly not encouraged by the combat or interface in general, but if you're going to shit on the story you're going to have to do better than "I played the beta".

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Furthermore, even the very name "Last Castoff" reveals more to the player than it should. If you know that the Changing God makes castoffs, and you know that you are the last one of those castoffs, then you know that something drastic has occurred in the Changing God's life/routine/etc., something different than before... but not by deducing this fact. The name's just there and simply gives it away.

Isn't that a bit of a stretch? The castoff is last as in "latest". The fact that changing god fucked up royally.. well, this we get to know the first minutes of the game anyway seeing the situation at which PC is cast off.

PS: You are the changing god or will have a chance to become it. Calling it now.

It's a possibility that didn't escape me, but "last" as you've noted is a highly contextual word; it's almost never used as a synonym for "latest" unless the context makes it clear that that is its meaning. When the context is unspecified or ambiguous, it's almost exclusively used as a synonym for "final," because that is its primary meaning and usage.

All multi-usage words in the English language follow the same rule. Unless context specifies otherwise, the word defaults to its primary meaning.

Besides which, a glance at the game's publicity materials and Wiki make it obvious that it is supposed to be the last castoff, as in finito, the last one ever, etc.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Pick a random line of companion dialogue from PS:T and you can immediately tell which companion said it. Do the same for T:ToN, and you'll have no idea, they sound the same.

This is pretty impressive given all the writers on the team.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It's true, though. I guess what's missing is each having their own idiosyncrasies, like PST had. Each had a different way of talking.

And I don't think anything any of them will say will be ever be memorable or quotable.

There isn't going to be a "in enduring grow strong" or even a "hey, chief". All I remember so far is some "hurr durr hurr" and I played it today.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
If I am not mistaken, during or after the kickstarter campaign there were talks about a companion which is a strange blob that can shapeshift depending on your orders?!
Is that still in?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's true, though. I guess what's missing is each having their own idiosyncrasies, like PST had. Each had a different way of talking.

And I don't think anything any of them will say will be ever be memorable or quotable.

There isn't going to be a "in enduring grow strong" or even a "hey, chief". All I remember so far is some "hurr durr hurr" and I played it today.
even some other supporting characters have their own little "gimmicks" in conversation. not all, but some. it just made them alot more memorable. guess when you set the standard that high everything else would seem to be a disappointment

Mortmal

Arcane
So a kickstarter successfully funded, many many years late but it was worth it, we finally get the ultimate rpg, something even darth roxxor and prima junta have the same opinion about!
Problem is their opinion is its more or less complete shit...

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If I am not mistaken, during or after the kickstarter campaign there were talks about a companion which is a strange blob that can shapeshift depending on your orders?!
Is that still in?
In game screenshot
Screenshot-1093.png

Fairfax

Arcane
Is that still in?
No, it was cut.

It was called "Oom", formerly known as the Toy during the Kickstarter. It has very few hits in the beta's files, mostly "what do you think of Oom?" with no answer.

Oom deflates for a moment, wobbling listlessly in a peculiar circuit. When you start to walk away, it takes some seconds for Oom to follow.

Party banter:

"Go away, Oom. Go be a puddle someplace."
"Oom is... becoming different. It's even more... Oom. OOM, as it were."
"Isn't Oom cute? Even when it's attacking and slicing and murdering people, it's still adorable."
"Oom will never leave us, will it? Oom will never die, right? Tell me Oom will be with us always and forever."
"So tell me, Oom. Can you really transform into *anything*?"
"You're just getting older, Oom. It happens to most people. And blobs."
"I remember when Oom was just a toy. Quiet. Friendly. {Sad}Was willing to play more."
"You know just how to cheer me up, Oom."

[Oom twists his head slightly and looks a you curiously.]

Matkina:

"I'd rather lie with Oom than touch him."

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

i give very few fucks whether the objectives in the beta will be changed in the mandatory mid or endgame plot twist when the first part of the story is so insanely terrible that it doesn't make me want to go on and reach the mandatory plot twist

Mortmal

Arcane
Star citizen, starbound, torment, each time you pledge big , it turns to shit...Please stop , you jinx it all the time, keep the money buy yourself a new sport car or something.
Btw 1000$ pledge, does that mean your real life pic is added as one of those awesome npc portrait ? Sorry to pour some salt in your open wounds.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I think the point in that picture was the Pledge Any Amount button. Blaine is sad he can't afford to pledge more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom