Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Update #32: More Monsters + inXile 2016 Year In Review Video

Imperialist

Novice
Finished playing FO1/2 over Christmas and am surprised by how much dialog there was in each location. The density of NPC dialog is high, varied and interesting. I don't think any game gets close to either of these two games when it comes to branching dialog in every location you go to. Brian Fargo was the head of studio and had some input into FO1/2 but was never the driving force. So when I play WL2 I feel let down when I replay it and think FO1/2 where put together by a group of people who put everything they had into FO1/2 and we'll never see that level of commitment/creativity again. I totally disagree with Fargo when he says WL1 had a lot of nostalgic hype because that game also had a lot of great dialog and replayablility.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Fargo created Fallout?

Fargo essentially funded it and was the executive producer. Interplay was a videogame giant with more than 600 employees at the time. I don't think Fallout gets made without his ability to pay 100+ people (certainly not with the production values of notable Hollywood voice actors and 3D cutscenes). There's a marked difference between having some cosplayers in your intro movie (Wasteland 2) and the actual TV\film stars in extensive live-action scenes (Starfleet Academy\Klingon Academy\etc).

When Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky and Jason Anderson joined Interplay there were less than 100 people. Cain was employee #42 while Boyarsky was #88.

However, when they left in 1998 to create Troika the company had indeed grown to around 600.

Zeriel

Arcane
I just don't understand why he gets so much venom, Wasteland 2 might not have been an all-time masterpiece but he tried to make a real RPG with "choice and consequences" and player skills that actually mattered while attempting to listen to the community. He does a good job of giving older gamer what they want and making sure he can keep commercially afloat.

I don't think anyone actually hates him, there's just a general distaste for what he is: a marketing guy with good ideas who can't deliver on them because he hires incompetent nobodies. I mean, maybe that's all he CAN do at this point, but you can't blame people for being disappointed considering the narrative he successfully sells (i.e, "it'll be just like the old days, but without those meddling suits!").

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I feel like Fargo is surrounded by to many Yes Men, and not many who actually challenge him....

Ah, the ol' George Lucas syndrome. Do we all still embrace inXile after the Brother None debacle? I just read like 50 goddamn pages of internet drama and now I'm dizzy.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Any TLDR? I dont remember what happen...

The only form is in tl;dr, trust me. Basically my take is this:

Brian Fargo wanted to avoid the Codex and cancelled a scheduled interview based on the tiniest piece of nonsense which Brother None drummed up and lied about, so the Codex started digging shit up on Brother None finding racist shit he said at NMA while he was younger. If you want to fill in the blanks there, head over to Retardoland because this is as much as I actually care about it all.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
so the Codex started digging shit up on Brother None finding racist shit he said at NMA while he was younger.

They also found his posts about Fargo. Saying that he was a bad manager, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom