Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Would you be interested in a remastered version of the Unofficial Arcanum Patch?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Lionheart - Legacy of the Crusader

What on earth did you find enjoyable about Lionheart? The map art is pretty, I guess.
Barcelona was kinda okay. Yeah, I played it back then. Once you leave the city tho it's just an endless dungeon romp. And unless you have a very specific character build (IIRC some kind of an archer) the game gets bullshit hard. Never finished it because of this.

Supposedly there's a p cool encounter with Nostradamus somewhere in the wild among all the trash mobs.
The writing of the historical characters within Barcelona reminded me of Bethesda. I tried playing it again 1 - 2 years ago and it was pure
rating_prosper.png

pippin

re: Lionheart, I remember Cervantes being completely cringeworthy and Machiavelli talking in Famous Quotes dialogue all the time.

On the other hand, Arcanum will always need more and more love.

Severian Silk

Arcanum is a very short game. The game world is very empty when you take into account the size of the world map. The combat is not great. I didn't feel I really got to know the characters the game was so short. The quality of what *is* in the game is not bad (except the combat). There's just is not enough of it.

I had more fun playing Prelude to Darkness.

puppyonastik

Augur
Arcanum is a very short game. The game world is very empty when you take into account the size of the world map. The combat is not great. I didn't feel I really got to know the characters the game was so short. The quality of what *is* in the game is not bad (except the combat). There's just is not enough of it.

I had more fun playing Prelude to Darkness.
If people like Drog are willing to develop tools that enable us to easily repair and mod the game further than currently available, speaking of AMTUT (http://terra-arcanum.com/amtut/amtut.htm) and WORLDED. I could definitely see a Codexian Circle of Eight (TTOE) style Mod pop up. Hell TTOE and Arcanum are on the same engine; Maybe we can fix the combat everyone bitches about.

Lhynn

Arcane
Could you get in contact with people on the IE modding community and have them write you a few romances to include with the game? Was thinking of the one that wrote Saerileth particularly.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Well, I can provide a framework (basically a huge INI file with all the game rules listed and easy to edit by hand by any user) and then somebody could make a shitty rebalance mod and get all the flak for it.:M

No way in hell I'm touching Arcanum's "balance" with a 10 ft pole, it's way too controversial of a topic.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Not at all. Arcanum was the only Codex-approved game I could never get into. I tried, twice. Really wanted to like it, but no. Save your time for something better.

puppyonastik

Augur
These retards are just ignorant of all the hard work that Drog and many other fine users of this site did to create the Unofficial Arcanum Patch, starting back in 2008. http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/unofficial-arcanum-patch-original-thread.23720/

Drog might be a little insane. But that, and a good work ethic are more than welcome here.

Edit: To clarify, I think people at first think it was something negligible, but if you were around during that time, or read the thread, you can understand that it wasn't a simple circle jerk.

Last edited:

DramaticPopcorn

These retards are just ignorant of all the hard work that Drog and many other fine users of this site did to create the Unofficial Arcanum Patch, starting back in 2008. http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/unofficial-arcanum-patch-original-thread.23720/

Drog might be a little insane. But that, and a good work ethic are more than welcome here.

Edit: To clarify, I think people at first think it was something negligible, but if you were around during that time, or read the thread, you can understand that it wasn't a simple circle jerk.
Sup Drog

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I fully support this endeavor Drog Black Tooth
I certainly hope you can get AI attachments to the NPCs, such as one offs that you can make into template behavior patterns in combat.
It would definitely be worth the time and effort to try this.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
But I'd need an additional coder to help lay down the framework. Apply here!

What's Qwinn up to these days? You two have a good working relationship right?
Nah, Qwinn is a small time Pascal (wtf) coder in his late 40s who was out of a job at the time.

All the engine mods in his patches were done by other people, he can't debug x86 ASM or do anything else but comb thru the game's scripts. He just happened to have enough patience and time to actually fix all those scripting bugs. He is a powerful autist for sure, but useless for this project. I'm good with ASM, I just need an adequate C++ coder with experience in injecting code at run time to make my engine mods (and the patch on the whole) modular. That's the main idea.

Aenra

What on earth did you find enjoyable about Lionheart? The map art is pretty, I guess.

I'm not much into replaying games i've finished, meaning it's been a very long time since. It' possible i'd find it cringe-worthy today, can't say without playing it again. But back then, i -do- remember loving it.
Until i saw what happens after Act I, lol..

Anyway, point was for me to remind we've got RPGs out there that never got a single mod. What Drog does or doesn't is up to him.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
There is the following turn-based mode quirk where a critter that attacks you starts running towards you and the turn-based mode starts when it stops next to you. Can it be fixed so that the turn based mode starts the moment the enemy spots you? This will make playing gunslingers more appealing.

Black

Arcane
If you go to the half-ogre Island while using the hi rez patch the ship's captain (or helm of your ship) don't spawn, making you stuck there.

Lhynn

Arcane
Nerf harm, improve melee damage at higher STR values, rest should take care of itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom