Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

Krivol

Magister
I remember one of my bros was stabbed by an archer and lost +/- 70% of his health despite decent armour (well, that's what are daggers for) but after that I have no such situation (most dagger attacks were missed or harmless). I believe dagger is supposed to be good against heavy armoured enemies but I will not even try it against orc warrior - seems like suicide.

Axes and swords seems more.. versatile

Humanophage

Arcane
If you read the Steam BB forum, most seem to play Veteran + Ironman, yes. (I think the majority of complaints come as a consequence of new players starting on Veteran instead of using Beginner as a tutorial).

It's quite a step from Beginner to Veteran, but the biggest 'random' element is the map. If you find a good one with some profitable, short trade routes it makes the early game easier because you're not forced to take high risk contracts. I wish there was a map seed.
Well, it ends up being a lot like X-Com: you just have to be really conservative and unbearably slow all the time. Never take 3-star assignments (except with the intent to swindle), largely abstain from close combat with two-handed weapons until late, approach the enemy very slowly in battles with randomised positions, generally never close ranks, never investigate random sites. Meanwhile, 1-star battles are about as easy as they are on Beginner - the main obstacle are the eyeroll-inducing random critical hits from archers.

I mostly use BB as a concentration device for listening to audiobooks because of this unreasonably slow pace. I'd never play it on Ironman: what if you forget to arm one of the brothers correctly before battle, for instance? Deaths from oversights are reasonable in ADOM, but you cannot be expected to carefully manage the inventory for a band of 10+ units, especially while listening.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
It depends. Just met 6 raiders+necro on 1* contract with my 1-3 lvls warband of "crippled peasants"
4 dead, 1 crippled for life, got chainmail, 5 helmets, billhook, 2 kite shields, 2 arming swords. Tasty...

Andnjord

Arcane
Never take 3-star assignments
Nah, you can take on three stars contract related to bandits, gobos and undead without problem. The only time I'd agree would be with orcs, three stars contract for orcs are a suicide (many orc warriors, some berserkers AND a chieftain! All on day 40!)
the main obstacle are the eyeroll-inducing random critical hits from archers
Then attack those bandits at night or wear a damn helmet.
I'd never play it on Ironman: what if you forget to arm one of the brothers correctly before battle, for instance? Deaths from oversights are reasonable in ADOM, but you cannot be expected to carefully manage the inventory for a band of 10+ units, especially while listening.
Except that unlike ADOM it's not game over when you have a death from oversight, you just do a quick prayer to the fallen bros and move on. And even if you fail to equip everyone optimally as long as you point something sharp and solid at the enemy chances are they'll die anyway.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I imagine the encroaching late game crisis will force the player to pick up the pace and take more risks. You can't exactly trade peat and fight 1-star bandit hideouts for 100 days if the entire map gets burned down by orcs in the meantime.

Last edited:

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I hope they find a good balance between cherry picking courier missions with some trading on the side and rushing you to take on Orc cities on day 40 so you can't afford to lose a high level Brother. I enjoyed coming back after almost TPWs, where only one or two Brothers survived a Goblin ambush or a treasure hunt in ruins occupied by Lost Souls.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
If they rush you to build the optimally equipped company in a very short time, EVEN YOU WILL BE FORCED TO TRADE, my bloodthirsty friend.

Also::keepmyjewgold:

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
If you read the Steam BB forum, most seem to play Veteran + Ironman, yes. (I think the majority of complaints come as a consequence of new players starting on Veteran instead of using Beginner as a tutorial).

It's quite a step from Beginner to Veteran, but the biggest 'random' element is the map. If you find a good one with some profitable, short trade routes it makes the early game easier because you're not forced to take high risk contracts. I wish there was a map seed.
Well, it ends up being a lot like X-Com: you just have to be really conservative and unbearably slow all the time. Never take 3-star assignments (except with the intent to swindle), largely abstain from close combat with two-handed weapons until late, approach the enemy very slowly in battles with randomised positions, generally never close ranks, never investigate random sites. Meanwhile, 1-star battles are about as easy as they are on Beginner - the main obstacle are the eyeroll-inducing random critical hits from archers.

I mostly use BB as a concentration device for listening to audiobooks because of this unreasonably slow pace. I'd never play it on Ironman: what if you forget to arm one of the brothers correctly before battle, for instance? Deaths from oversights are reasonable in ADOM, but you cannot be expected to carefully manage the inventory for a band of 10+ units, especially while listening.

The 'eyeroll-inducing random critical hits from archers' can be counterd by wearing decent headgear. To a point, of course. If you get hit with an arrow to the head it will hurt (I'm guessing here).

I also wouldn't call giving your Brothers weapons to fight with 'carefully managing the inventory' but ok. If you don't find 'deaths from oversight reasonable' we just have to disagree.

BB is relatively slow paced, yes. I like it.

Close combat is a Risk, especially without a shield, so two-handed Brothers need good armor - makes sense to me. There is also the 'Reach Advantage' perk to counter that (wich might even be a bit OP).

I hope you still find some enjoyment in the game, it really grows on you. Maybe check back after the next update, I heard they want to change world scaling, so maybe exploring ruins and hideouts will be less deadly.

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
blog_header_achievements.jpg

Dev Blog #93: Achievements & Trading Cards
We return from the holidays with our first dev blog this year. As announced in our roadmap to the finish line, Battle Brothers is about to receive Steam achievements and trading cards. Let’s take a look at both this week while we continue to work hard on the late game crises we’ve talked about last time. Onwards!

Steam Achievements
You may have already spotted some Steam achievements for Battle Brothers popping up over the last few weeks – that’s because we’ve been testing them. There’s currently a total of 70 achievements in the game, although that number may still change slightly in either direction. We wanted the achievements to be a good mix between short and long term challenges, some more serious and some more fun, as well as some rewarding the natural progression as you play the game. Here’s a few examples of different achievements you’ll be able to unlock once the next update is live.

Swingin’
Kill 3 enemies with one AoE attack.

Who Let The Dogs Out?
Kill an enemy with a wardog.

How To Berserk
Kill an Orc Berserker in melee while high on mushrooms.

Outgunned
Kill a Goblin Overseer with a ranged weapon.

King Of The Hill
Defeat another mercenary company.

Explorer
Uncover 2/3 of the map.

Campaigner
Reach day 100 on veteran difficulty or higher.

Never Give Up
Lose 10 campaigns in Ironman mode.

Bane Of The Undead
Defeat the Undead Scourge at any difficulty level.

Trading Cards
Battle Brothers is also about to receive some Steam trading cards with the upcoming update. Each trading card is for one of the different types of factions currently in the game – the Mercenaries, the Noble Houses, the Bandits, the Ancient Dead, the Undead, the Goblins and the Orcs.

The full-sized trading cards show the faction with their selection of banners and a variety of units with different gear in wallpaper format. Of course, you’ll also be able to unlock badges, profile backgrounds and emoticons.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Not something I care about but apparently it boosts sales, so it's understandable you want to dedicate a dev blog to it.

By the way, how much time and effort did it take to set up your achievements and cards system? I'm curious about that.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Not something I care about but apparently it boosts sales, so it's understandable you want to dedicate a dev blog to it.

By the way, how much time and effort did it take to set up your achievements and cards system? I'm curious about that.
Smart money bets on most achievements being important metrics for a developer to track how users are playing the game. So hopefully they thought about that while designing them.

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
rapsdjff any chance of giving us seeds / ability to share maps?
Maybe - it's on our lengthy nice-to-have list.

Took us a few days to get everything done, since it's using mostly existing assets.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Finally got started playing the game -- the turn based combat is brutal and glorious!

Do you think you could add an option to disable provisioning though? Or at very least the spoilage? Having to manage food for your guys is tedious just like in M&B.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Well after a few disastrous starts I've finally got a decent band of bros going -- 6 melee with spears and shields, 2 shortbow, 1 crossbow.

It's Day 7 and we've managed to beat up a few gangs of Bandit Thugs so far, and a horde of Ghouls. Doesn't sound like much but in this game I'm pretty sure not getting brutally murdered = winning. :D

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Well after a few disastrous starts I've finally got a decent band of bros going -- 6 melee with spears and shields, 2 shortbow, 1 crossbow.

It's Day 7 and we've managed to beat up a few gangs of Bandit Thugs so far, and a horde of Ghouls. Doesn't sound like much but in this game I'm pretty sure not getting brutally murdered = winning. :D
FYI, don't invest in spear + shield perks on all your melee guys. You'll eventually want to branch out with them if they live long enough.

Zanzoken

Arcane
What type of early-game armor should I be looking to get for my front line guys?

Right now I am still in the tunic and hood stage but I keep seeing a lot of Padded Leather which has 80hp and seems affordable at 200 gold apiece.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
What type of early-game armor should I be looking to get for my front line guys?

Right now I am still in the tunic and hood stage but I keep seeing a lot of Padded Leather which has 80hp and seems affordable at 200 gold apiece.

Padded leather is pretty nice armour, assuming your guys can handle the fatigue penalty--I don't like to go below 70 (80 if I have my druthers), though you can't always be picky early on. However, I'm super cheap and usually gear up early on by taking on bandit raiders, which will launch you straight into chainmail shirts. Of those, I think patched chain (which edges padded leather in protection without increased penalties) and worn chain are great protection per point of fatigue penalty items. Even thugs drop blotched gambesons, which are phenomenal. I'll keep a few on hand indefinitely to protect rookies until they get their max fatigue up.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Thanks for the tips!

I have noticed that raiders usually have better gear but fighting them at present ends up in unacceptable casualties if not a party wipe.

Hopefully that will change once the bros have leveled up some more.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Thanks for the tips!

I have noticed that raiders usually have better gear but fighting them at present ends up in unacceptable casualties if not a party wipe.

Hopefully that will change once the bros have leveled up some more.

I'll leave you to work out tactics, but once you've got 12 bros (keeping your numbers up is a better investment than gearing up, IMO), you're probably good to go after groups of 8 raiders or fewer (with no backup) or mixed thug and raider groups no bigger than 10. If they have ranged support, things get hairy. Also, catching raiders in bad terrain usually helps hurts them more than it hurts you, so forests, swamps, and hills are your friends.

Reinhardt

Arcane
If 2 or more raiders has 2 hex range melee weapons, they still can rape newbie band.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom