Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Tyranny better than Pillars Of Eternity? DISCUSS!

Which is better?

• Total voters

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Well, for a start I think it's completely unfair to compare PoE 3.0 with Tyranny. PoE 3.0 may have improved many things ... after ONE YEAR.

It seems unlikely the Tyranny team gives a damn about making the kinds of changes PoE 2.0 and 3.0 did. Maybe they'll surprise me.

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Tyranny is such a modern progressive game, it has a diverse and vibrant cast of NPC's that will surely enrich the experience of gamers everywhere. What more to show the inclusiveness of the game by including it in modern consoles as well! Diversity is as important as game play or content just look at Tyranny which instantly became one of codexians preferred gaming experiences because of one thing it doesn't forget the last pillar of good game design. It's graphics, it's gameplay, it's story and you're trying not to let any one pillar overwhelm the other. You're trying to just keep all of this stuff in your mind like, there's another pillar many devs forget that stops their games from become classics diversity, that is why tyranny is such as great game play experience compared to racist, sexist misogynistic rpg games such Divinity Original Sin and Underrail.

Last edited:
What's so great about it? The only thing I remember about the game is that Durance character, mostly because his portrait is a carbon copy of a friend of mine, who's coincidentally enough, is an ex-priest. Besides, wasn't he written by MCA anyway?

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Cain/Boyarsky project is a console Triple-A game though. Are you sure you don't want to rephrase that?
Fuck no. New Vegas is a console title and it is also leagues better than PoE or Tranny too. Even The Stick of Truth is better. :lol:
Yeah but, do you actually think nu-Obsidian is even close to capable of making something as good as New Vegas again? I sincerely doubt it.

On topic: pillows is one of the most boring and uninspired games I've ever played. There's nothing even remotely memorable about it. If tranny is even worse than that...? Damn.

Last edited:

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Yeah but, do you actually think nu-Obsidian is even close to capable of making something as good as New Vegas again? I sincerely doubt it.
Someone posted names of F:NV writters and... 2 were dead and one went to other projects, so if they won't employ someone good at writting we are screwed.

Sentinel

Arcane
Someone posted names of F:NV writters and... 2 were dead and one went to other projects, so if they won't employ someone good at writting we are screwed.
Wait, 2 are dead? Seriously?
Who? I have never heard of this. I know Gonzalez moved on to another studio.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I made some research, I can't find who were mostly in charge in writing, but nearly all of them aren't working in Obsidian anymore. As for the 2 dead, someone posted them as example of obsidian decline, dunno where I read that though.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
As for which is better... that is a subjective point since it depends on what kind of gameplay you prefer; pseudo IE with no pre combat buffs or MMO cool downs

Surprisingly enough I like Tyranny better, the setting is different (no fucking elves here) the premise is fun (you can be "evil" without beign an asshole or a fucking psycho) the combat definetly grew on me (especially for magic casters) the magic system is probably the best Magic system I have played in the last decade Combining sigils and tweaking your spells is just so satisfying and makes even starter spells viable throughout the whole game, plus it allows you to specialize your mage by adjusting area of effect spells, strength of spell, distance etc; it really makes you feel like you get to decide whay you want to do based on your play style rather how mages are supposed to be; I started off with a mage style char and decided I liked the touch style spells so gave him some heavy armor and got him some lessons on how to wear it and boom he can be in the middle of combat casting insta nockdown spells and doing area of effect poison storms before engaging in melee
The encounters ARE kind of limited in their variety but frankly it fits the setting well and as I said the combat has grown on me, it might be a bit dull for melee chars but it definetly makes your mages feel powerful and damn fun
The setting, npc, combat, companions and story of Pillars simply never caught me, I dont consider it shit... but I do look at my boxed collected edition with some regret while I dont mind the $40 I paid for Tyranny

All in all it gives me great hope for Obsidian in the future; they tried to do their pseudo IE game in Pillars and while the game looks beautiful it kind of missed the mark and ended up satisfying almost nobody with the results.

With Tyranny they tried to experiment by keeping the old school isometric look but trying to add some modern ideas to combat, the magic system and very good stuff like the tooltips (instead of those groan inducing infodumps) and for the most part I like what I see, perhaps in Pillars 2 or their next project they can use the lessons learned from both games and do something truly special

I for one will definitely look forward to the next chapter in Tyranny, and guessing from Paradox's practices they will probably wrap up the story in DLC around summer rather than try to set up some sequel

Deleted member 7219

Tyranny has better reactivity but Pillars has a better game world and lore.

A combination of the two would be great. Pillars 2?

Lhynn

Arcane
Tyranny has better reactivity
No it doesnt, it just has CnC. You cant really do anything outside of a dialogue so the game has nothing to react to.

but Pillars has a better game world
True, but only because Tyrannys gameworld is fucking retarded.
and lore.
Na, PoEs lore is boring as shit, Tyrannys lore is very dumb, but at least its entertaining, much like watching a trainwreck.

A combination of the two would be great. Pillars 2?
A combination of both games would probably still result in shit, its not like each game has something great to show us.

Sannom

Augur
If there is an expansion, I wonder if Pox will have rebuilt her Plagueborns by the time she comes to your doors, which could bring novelty to the human enemies.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Pre-patch PoE, Tyranny was marginally better. Everything Pillars was supposed to be good at was broken then, whereas Tyrannny's touted CnC was good on release. Combat was probably even more annoying than Tyranny's.

Post-WM patched PoE, Tyranny is a significantly worse game.

Like going from patched/expanded WoW to the new SWTOR MMO, chimpanzees competing against koala bears for the same territory.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Pre-patch PoE, Tyranny was marginally better. Everything Pillars was supposed to be good at was broken then, whereas Tyrannny's touted CnC was good on release. Combat was probably even more annoying than Tyranny's.

Post-WM patched PoE, Tyranny is a significantly worse game.

Yep, thats exactly what I think. If Tyranny get patches or expansions I think we'll have a really interesting game.

pippin

Out of the people who had a significant role in New Vegas' writing, only Eric Fenstermaker remains at Obsidian iirc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom