Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Since Blizzard is celebrating 20 years of Diablo I decided to install the starter edition/demo,played it with a monk character on normal since that's the only difficulty they allow in that edition and enjoyed it a bit but finished it without even having to use a single fucking health potion,what's the KKK on this one at the moment is it worth the 20 bucks it has on discount right now or is it just a waste of money?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Since Blizzard is celebrating 20 years of Diablo I decided to install the starter edition/demo,played it with a monk character on normal since that's the only difficulty they allow in that edition and enjoyed it a bit but finished it without even having to use a single fucking health potion,what's the KKK on this one at the moment is it worth the 20 bucks it has on discount right now or is it just a waste of money?
It's ok with the expansion but PoE is still better, by a large margin.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
ust a waste of money?

If you want that kind of game, play Path of Exile and/or Grim Dawn instead.

It's ok with the expansion but PoE is still better, by a large margin.

I should have noted that generally I am not really a fan of hack and slash rpgs,I usually get bored and drop them in the end that's why I decided to try Blizzard's option since I shaw they have it on sale right now and well they always have the streamlining thing.I am not really interested in a hardcore one that requires me to look for the perfect build to get through.
Oh and isn't Path of Exile a free to play?I try to avoid microtransactions crap

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
PoE s micros are mostly for looks and you can play till the end without any restrictions, for free. Both PoE and GD is challenging enough for the first time but they don't need perfect builds to finish normal mode once.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Currently trying out the Gamehouse Original Stories lineup of casual games - The Two 'Delicious' games and 'Heart's Medicine : Time to heal' alongside Eurotruck Simulator 2.

Mostly waiting for late feb/early march to come round so I can sink my teeth into Torment Numa Numa.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Decided to boot up Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (tm) again. It's been just over a year since I last played so it's a miracle I can actually remember anything. I'm not usually a JRPG fan but this game is somewhat OK.

I'm of two minds about this game: I sort of like it, for some reason, but at the same time - why does the gameplay stop every 10 minutes for another stupid conversation between stupid people where they talk in circles around each other? I think I'm nearly halfway through the game and I'm still waiting for something interesting to happen.

I just got to Guadosalam - does this shit get any more interesting? Does Tidus become less of a child? Should I stop playing JRPGs?

Last edited:

pippin

Just play 4, 6 and 9 if you're that desperate for FF.

Or just try japanese wizardry clones to join aweigh's Resistance.

Freddie

Savant
Finished XCOM 2.

I liked. Bought the Deluxe or something edition with all the DLC's and digital soundtrack from Steam Winter sale. I think versus standard edition was about 5 € or so. Anyway, for that price DLC was okay.

Played on Veteran difficulty, which appears to add something in RNG in favour of player. It took some time to get used to so many timed missions, made some bad decisions in research department and didn't pay enough attention to what possibilities radio stations and stuff offered on world map. Once went back to earlier campaign save to choose different approach, which later turned out to be unnecessary decision.

Getting used to timed missions weren't only new thing. Once campaign gets further there are also new kind of enemies which can feel frustrating at first. The thing is just to memorise many variable they bring in game. While I can understand that this can be something people may dislike and sometimes it actually slows the pace of missions, I felt it made end game better. In (nu)XCOM there were simple strategies for end game missions that were pretty bulletproof, it also made missions feel repetitive. XCOM 2 is IMO better in late game, there's more variety. Map design is very good, but because of so many timed missions it goes easily unnoticed. It's just more important to focus on your next moves.

DLC missions were fun and had different feeling rest of the campaign, which was positive. I wouldn't do either of them in the very beginning though. One has a one bad end boss for early weapons, and other, Alien Hunters, make creatures appearing in middle of normal game missions. They can be tough because they get reaction after every time any soldier in players squad get a reactions, which can cause problems with early weapons and armours. I did them pretty much around middle of campaign, which was okay because later they were become too easy. Third DLC is some kind of character customisation pack, didn't use the feature even once, so I can't say anything about it.

Sound is okay, soundtrack is good, there's one piece that felt so pompous that it was bit hilarious, but overall, sound design is very good.

For € 30 (or € 35 - 39 with DLC's) I can recommend this, though I advice those who feel uncertain about timed missions design to check from youtube or something to see how they work.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Just finished what I thought was a brief test of Astroneer...but ended up being a 6-hour stint.

Props go to the UI... namely because it doesn't have one. The game interface is so well designed and fool-proof, it is nearly impossible to get stuck or lost with it.

For those not in the know, this is Terraria* crossed with No Man's Sky. You're an astronaut and you're sent to... explore a planet, I guess. It's just a thin excuse to get dumped on a planet with a very powerful terraforming tool and a crafting tree to work through.

There are only two things that need to be kept in mind: Oxygen and power level. Your suit comes with a tank and a rechargable battery, but oxygen can only be refilled when 'tethered' to the base by being close to it. The base starts with the drop pod and is expanded by building modules. Modules can either simply be links to extend the tether, or upgraded to become workstations that serve certain functions like research or building vehicles and such. Later on you have to worry about the power level of the base, but there are more than enough ways available to deal with that.

Your suit also comes with 9 inventory slots. With the right materials certain suit modules like oxygen tanks and power cells can be placed in the slots to boost your character. Energy and oxygen crystals can also be harvested from the planet for quick pick-me-ups on long expeditions.

But the bread and butter of the game is the terraforming tool. It's dead simple to use - activate it, select tear down or build up, then click away. Terrain isn't dumped in your inventory like most similar games, but harvestable resources does end up there, with a certain mininum amount being needed for a whole unit of resource to be gathered.

If there's a downside to the game, it's that the planets are barren and devoid of life. The only hostile entity I've come across (so far) are gas-billowing sacs down in the caverns.

The game is still Early Access so it's hard to recommend it at the moment, but it's most definitely a game to keep an eye on.

*I say Terraria and not Minecraft because the latter attracts raging autists like moths to a flame, but Astroneer's intuitive interface will most likely drive away most of them.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Finally took a Vampire Bloodlines game all the way to the end, and christ

Are there people that don't just turn on god mode after the halfway point?

Unbearable. Game needs a mod that chops out all the combat starting at the sewers. Even with god mode and endless blood I was bored out of my mind couldn't wait for it to end.

Great atmosphere, tho. Great writing.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
i am a sucker for CCGs. played lots of MTG and some HS.

now i found a new hybrid, developed by some known MTG player masterminds.
Eternal card game
its as hybrid as hybrid can get and imo just merges the best of both worlds.
grinded the whole weekend and i did have a blast

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
I've played a good amount of shadow of mordor and this nemesis system is pretty cool even though it is somewhat scripted.

spekkio

Arcane
Gave up on Castlevania - Harmony Of Dissonance after reaching the "2nd castle".

Good:
- Metroidvania.
- Infinite dash.

Ugly:
- Music.

Bad:
- Castle design is abysmal. Almost entire castle is open up right from the beginning. You get double jump and low dash early on, and from this moment you can explore ~80 of both castles. Not only boring and unnecessarily confusing, but combined with no difficulty progression for enemies (almost all areas have enemies with similar level of difficulty), this leads to...
- Total lack of challenge. Regular enemies are boring, plus can't really harm you after some point. Bosses are pathetic. At some point I just started running through the enemies, because it was faster (almost no damage) than killing them. Stopped playing right after that.
- Way too many unnecessary barriers (closed door you can reach from both sides, but can't open to create a shortcut), which leads to godowful amount of backtracking.

So, this game fails at 4 basic elements, which make metroidvanias fun to play: gameplay area expanding after acquiring power-ups, enemies being challenging even during backtracking, fun boss battles and interesting exploration with shortcuts and hidden areas. Samus Aran wept.

- Magic system basically REPLACES the subweapon system (better attacks, too much hassle with turning it off-on constantly), which means that picking up hearts is totally pointless - magic recovers automagically. Glorious game design...
- Fucked-up equipment system: 3 slots for "accessories" make comparing them a chore. Plus most of them are weak shit.

It looks like they tried to recreate SOTN (not that great IMO), but on weaker hardware and making many really dumb mistakes (castle design!).

Verdict: :1/5: (skip it).

Blonsky

Prophet
I have downloaded ppsspp emulator and torrented a psp rpg collection with over 30 psp games to try out.

Getting used to the weird key locations on a keyboard is a bit tough but they can be changed, sound problems are little annoying, and the emulator is sometimes showing edges of the moving pictures since i streched it to cover 3/4 of the screen.

From the games some are just bad(Dungeon siege: throne of agony), some are interesting(DnD: tactics), some i already tried pc ports (disgaea) but all together its an interesting pack.
The only problem is, with 30 more games i increased my estimated time of finishing my backlog for about 6 more months (not sure some are turning into real grindfests).

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Valiant Hearts Nice little action/adventure game set in WWI,don't let the cute cartoony graphics trick you,you will literally be walking on piles of corpses by the end and it knows how to punch you in the stomach.The gameplay and the puzzles are simple but it gets a :salute: for bombing you while Brahms' Hungarian Dance n.5 plays in the background

Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes Not bad but just a paid demo in the end

Metal Gear Solid V Phantom Pain Pretty good game,although it gets tedious managing your base and all the crap with the various teams,the sneaking was good imho but I am not really a sneaking fan so I dropped it about halfway through since I got frustrated about some crap and the game is long,maybe I will pick it up later after I play a couple of other games

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom