Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rhianna Pratchett Interview at PCGamesN

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't particularly care for her, but this interview reveals some interesting tidbits about games that may be of interest to some of you: http://www.pcgamesn.com/rise-of-the-tomb-raider/rhianna-pratchett-interview-part-1

Rhianna Pratchett spills the secrets of Mirror's Edge, Tomb Raider and Thief - Part 1

rhianna%20pratchett%20interview_0.png

Editor’s note: this is part one of a two-part series documenting Pratchett's career, from PC Zone and Overlord to Mirror's Edge and Tomb Raider. Header photo credit National Media Museum.

“It’s all to do with a gay tortoise,” says award-winning games writer Rhianna Pratchett of her big break.

The story of Mirror’s Edge begins in the ancient village of Rowberrow, Somerset. That’s where the Pratchetts lived, just up the road from the Cousins. The two families had something in common, and that was tortoises. The Cousins’ tortoise fancied himself as an escape artist, and from time to time would break out, trundling up to the Pratchett residence to join his fellows.

Then one day the Cousins moved away - and the getaway tortoise got his wish, moving in with the Pratchetts full-time.

“They lived in this kind of homoerotic Sherlock Holmes, Dr Watson kind of relationship,” remembers Pratchett.

Life went on. Young Ben Cousins grew up to become a producer at DICE. And when it came to building a plot for his strange parkour project, he recommended the only videogame writer with whom he shared a background in shelled pet-keeping.

“We kind of bonded over mutual tortoise ownership,” says Pratchett. “And eventually that led on to Mirror’s Edge.”

That was the opportunity - but opportunity wouldn’t have been much good without the ability and love for games to back it up.

Rhianna’s dad first introduced her to games when she was six. Terry Pratchett - whose own career was carried on the back of a turtle, not a tortoise, but close enough - liked comics and robotics and computers, and especially PC games.

“I’m an only child,” explains Pratchett. “I didn’t have any brothers or sisters to tell me what they thought my gender should like or not like so I was just interested in what dad was interested in.”

mirrors%20edge.png

Rhianna would sit next to dad and assist by drawing maps on graph paper - or tuck in behind him on his big chair “like a human bolster cushion”, peering out at the screen.

The writing ability was honed later, as a games journalist at PC Zone.

“I resisted it for a while,” she remembers. “I wanted to go into something else to start with because of, you know, certain other people in my family. But my father said he could see the scaly hands of journalism reaching out to me. Journalism is very good if you don’t know what to do with your life.”

Pratchett’s first game writing gigs were for the idiosyncratic developers she would pour praise on in her reviews - Stronghold’s Firefly and Divinity’s Larian. For Beyond Divinity, she polished up the English-language script of a German writer and wrote a novella which, even now, is required reading for new Larian writers.

“I can’t remember what I wrote,” says Pratchett. “It was my first short story, with no editor, so it was really rough and ready. And now, oh my God, people are being made to read it as part of their job.”

rhianna%20pratchett%20heavenly%20sword_0.png

As for the script, keeping track of Divinity’s many threads proved a “real nightmare”. Yet something clicked: “It put me off RPGs for about 15 years but I found it much more satisfying than doing journalism.”

Heavenly Sword followed: a much-anticipated project from the early days of the PS3 which starred a mo-capped Andy Serkis. Pratchett remembers getting the job after a four hour interview - “in which I gurgled a lot about Conan and Aliens” - before retiring to a toilet cubicle for a silent “squee!” of celebration.

But the first game which Pratchett felt inextricably involved with was Overlord, the minion-directing comedy action game.

“Ownership is difficult to really have when you’re in my position, because I don’t have hard powers,” she notes. “I’m not creative director, I’m not an internal lead writer, I’m not a game director. So I’m always relying on how much power people choose to give me. And Triumph were very generous in that regard.”

rhianna%20pratchett%20interview%20yorkshire.png

Pratchett and Game Republic's Jamie Sefton at Yorkshire Games Festival, National Media Museum.

Pratchett worked alongside Triumph’s designers on level scripting, and has since gone on to write everything in every Overlord game - the kind of continuity freelance games writers rarely enjoy.

“Maybe I’m looking back on it with rose-tinted glasses and comparing it to some of the projects I’ve worked on since,” she says. “But it was as fun to develop as it was to play.”

As we reach Pratchett’s rise into triple-A writing, her accounts are more frequently punctuated by frustrations and concessions. In the writing of Mirror’s Edge - the tortoise breakthrough moment - those frustrations began before her pen even hit paper.

“They had just designed the game with no narrative in mind,” Pratchett recalls. “They weren’t pretending that wasn’t the case, but I don’t think I realised how difficult that was going to be, because you’re essentially working backwards and wrapping the story around existing gameplay.”

rhianna%20pratchett%20mirror%27s%20edge.png

DICE had originally planned a cops-and-robbers style multiplayer game - and Faith was one of a number of concept art characters they had drawn for it. She was the protagonist of Mirror’s Edge, but nobody could say exactly who she was. There was a gleaming white world, but no-one on the team knew why it existed. And the game was about parkour, that much was definite - but nobody could tell Pratchett why the runners were running.

“A lot of what I had to do was ask the ‘Why’ questions and fill in the gaps,” she says. “That was a real challenge. Faith wasn’t a character, she was just a visual.

“I think I actually came up with the name Mirror’s Edge, which everyone thought was weird at the time. But we’d gone through every possible momentum title we could and they’d all been taken by racing games.”

By the time Mirror’s Edge was out, all the questions were answered. Faith was a courier delivering sensitive material on the peripheral of a dystopian city she saw as cold and sterile. Hence the washed-out colours. But the game was hampered by uninspiringly animated cutscenes and a script that was short on character and world-building. With good reason.

rhianna%20pratchett%20thief.png

“They decided to cut out all the level dialogue for Faith at the eleventh hour, after it had been written and recorded,” Pratchett explains. “I think they felt it was too distracting to the player in a first-person perspective. Which is OK as a decision, but it came right at the end, and it wasn’t a script where you could just hack 40% out and it would still make sense.”

It wasn’t the most difficult project in Pratchett’s career to date, however. That miserable honour is reserved for 2014’s Thief - a troubled game with dramatic team turnover in which “everything completely changed”.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.pcgamesn.com/rise-of-the-tomb-raider/rhianna-pratchett-interview-part-2

Rhianna Pratchett spills the secrets of Mirror's Edge, Tomb Raider and Thief - Part 2

rhianna%20pratchett%20yorkshire.png

Editor’s note: this is part two of a two-part series documenting Pratchett's career, from PC Zone and Overlord to Mirror's Edge and Tomb Raider. Header photo credit © National Media Museum.

There was a moment, Rhianna remembers, when none of the people who had employed her to work on the Thief reboot were left.

“They had gone different ways,” she says. “And I was like, ‘I don’t know what to do anymore’. The reason I don’t really talk about it is that I loved the Thief games and really wish things had turned out differently. I actually actively pursued working on it - we had great ideas at the start, and then it was a real development hell project.”

Working on tie-in comics has proved cathartic. Everything Pratchett would have liked to put into Mirror’s Edge went into a DC series instead, which recast the City as a shining parasite embedded in slumland. And she’s had a similarly good time writing comics for Tomb Raider, dressing Lara Croft as Elizabeth Bennett to fight bad guys on the London Underground (“Which I would not have got away with in the game.”).

Is she ever tempted to make a wholesale leap into another medium, where she might be offered more control?

“I’m doing more work in film and TV at the moment,” says Pratchett. “[In other mediums] you get feedback from people who are super smart when it comes to storytelling, and it’s not about what movie they happen to have seen the night before and how they would like you to change the story so it fits that.”

But she’s still that human bolster cushion - she still loves games.

“Games have had their hooks into me for a long time, and there is a certain amount of masochistic challenge around writing for them I think.”

The Tomb Raider series had its hooks in Pratchett for years, from its humanising reboot in 2013 right up until her departure to pursue "new adventures" just this week.

When she first arrived on the reboot, about a year into its development, Crystal Dynamics already had the spine of a story and a few character bios. And by release, the team had successfully modernised one of gaming’s most dated mascots. But development wasn’t without its trials.

rhianna%20pratchett%20tomb%20raider.png

One persistent criticism of 2013 Tomb Raider has been Lara’s speedy transformation from regretful first-time killer to mass murderer. Pratchett remembers Lara’s first kill as being one of the areas where the writing team “lost battles”.

“Narrative wanted a more gradual build-up between first kill and lots of kills,” she says. “Gameplay wanted there to be more action - you’ve given the player a gun, therefore you get things to use the gun on.

“I think Narrative knew that we were going to get dinged for that. We probably would have fought even harder in hindsight and found different ways to deal with that situation. That’s the big challenge of game writing: you have no control over the actions of your character.”

What the writing team didn’t foresee was that Lara’s first kill would cause controversy long before Tomb Raider’s release. The scene, in which Lara murders in self-defence after being cornered by a predatory scavenger, was interpreted as an attempted rape by both viewers of an early trailer and a producer on the project.

rhianna%20pratchett%20tomb%20raider%201.png

Crystal Dynamics quickly released a statement to say that sexual assault was “categorically not a theme” of the game - but the condemnation continued in opinion pieces. Pratchett’s involvement had yet to be announced, and she was frustrated to see her story misconstrued.

“I don’t think we expected it at all,” she says. “Once you play it in context, it makes a lot of sense and isn’t her ‘bitten by a radioactive spider’ moment. This isn’t when she turns into a tomb raider - this is when she happens to have to deliberately kill a human being for the first time.”

Once Pratchett was announced as a writer, however, Crystal Dynamics gave her the space to talk about player concerns.

“It felt like an important debate to have, because it felt like a scene that would not have caused controversy in any other medium,” she notes. “This is an 18-rated game, and you could probably see worse in a soap opera.

rhianna%20pratchett%20tomb%20raider%203.png

“We talk about the wider media pointing at videogames and saying, ‘They’re killing our kids’. But that’s exactly what [the games press] did to Tomb Raider. They didn’t have context, they just decided what this scene meant. And I thought, ‘If you can’t even hang back and wait for the whole game rather than pointing fingers, then we’re never going to get that respect from the wider media.’”

For the sequel, scriptwriting was opened up to the dev team for feedback far earlier, in an effort to draw mechanics and character development more tightly together. And in February, Rise of the Tomb Raider won a Writers Guild of America Award for Outstanding Achievement in Videogame Writing.

More recently, Pratchett has found herself in the unusual position of witnessing both sides of a reboot - participating in two, for Tomb Raider and Thief, while having her work rewritten for Mirror’s Edge Catalyst.

“There’s certainly a part of me that wishes we could have held the thing together and gone on to do a sequel, as I was told was the original plan,” she reflects on Catalyst. “But I suspect the fact that I was vocal about some of the things that happened to the story late in development probably did not put me on EA’s Christmas list. They knew very well how hard I’d worked on it, so it was obviously a deliberate choice not to bring me back.

rhianna%20pratchett%20rise%20of%20the%20tomb%20raider.png

“I would have liked to have a chance to broaden out the world and rectify some of the issues we had with the first game. But I’m really glad that I got the opportunity to work on it, because I think it does stand out for originality and for having characters moving through the world and not just shooting people in the face.”

It’s important to note that, while much of our conversation with Pratchett is dominated by problems with past projects, she never comes across as bitter. Rather, she has a journalist’s ability to step back and give her own work the postmortem it deserves. It’s this unerring knack for vocalising the persistent issues with games writing that has made her a regular at speaking events, and a figurehead for positive change in the industry.

The greatest testament to Rhianna Pratchett’s love for games is that she is still here. Though her experience patching up neglected stories has led her to write ‘narrative paramedic’ on her business card, the same appreciation that drove her to draw maps with dad and type up glowing assessments of Divine Divinity always bubbles to the surface.

“Every time I go to visit a developer there’s part of me that always feels like a journalist,” she gushes. “Like I’m there to interview people, and I get all full of squee that I’m allowed into the inner sanctum.”

Neanderthal

Arcane
I remember fuckin glowin review o NWN campaign that this dumb bitch did in PC Zone, she owes me £35 an a lotta hours o me life back. Shit writer ridin on a corpses coattails.

pippin

Seeing Holmes' relationship with Watson as "homoerotic" means you know nothing about the narrative craft.

Ok, I'll save you 5 minutes of reading this mess. Here's the short version:

Rhianna Pratchett, mostly known for her surname and for having had two tortoises who wore leather chaps, reminisces over alienating the audience of well-established computer game franchises with her SJW pathos-infused, nonsensical writing. Those silly nerds, haha.

She also wrote the script for a rather good parkour game (the game's actually good because of the gameplay, I can't remember any of the script, but I think it's about a bunch of squares who don't like graffiti).

You're welcome.

A horse of course

Pratchett himself is massively overrated. He wrote a handful of good books and churned out dozens of entries in rote, predictable filler to pay the bills. But at least I can actually remember some of what he wrote, unlike Rhianna's....uh, extensive body of work. Whatever it is.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
“They lived in this kind of homoerotic Sherlock Holmes, Dr Watson kind of relationship,” remembers Pratchett.

moderntardism in a nutshell. these people should be shot
Women can't understand the deep platonic bonds men can have, so they assume it's just repressed homosexuality.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Women can't understand the deep platonic bonds men can have, so they assume it's just repressed homosexuality.

That reminds me: Were Thelma & Louise just a couple of repressed lesbians, or was it just a platonic bond that (literally) sent them over the edge?

I can't even remember seeing the film in full, and the answer is *kinda* important for the discussion at hand, so...honest answers please?

pippin

Well, Watson exists merely because the reader needs a place where he can understand Holmes' reasoning. Inner dialogue would get boring really fast.

Endemic

Arcane
So she has writing credits on:

Stronghold
Beyond Divinty
Heavenly Sword
Overlord series
Mirror's Edge
Thief (2014)
Tomb Raider

Interesting...

She also wrote the script for a rather good parkour game (the game's actually good because of the gameplay, I can't remember any of the script, but I think it's about a bunch of squares who don't like graffiti).

It's a police state that's sacrificed freedoms for a (relative) lack of crime. Faith (the PC) is manually delivering messages and packages because electronic communication is 100% censored and monitored. You can try to fight the cops chasing you, but it's not recommended since they have guns and Faith can do is trip them up or steal a pistol if she's lucky.

pippin

The story in Mirror's Edge ends up being confusing because it appears mostly as "government bad, citizens good". Basically yet another neoliberal wet dream. You're expected to listen and believe, apparently there were some riots in the past and you were involved in them (as a little kid, which was somewhat hilarious to watch). Someone died along the way, your friend got in trouble, etc. It's kept in a very light teen novel atmosphere, always. Most of the people loved the game for its gameplay though, even if it's 5 hours long.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

That reminds me: Were Thelma & Louise just a couple of repressed lesbians, or was it just a platonic bond that (literally) sent them over the edge?

I can't even remember seeing the film in full, and the answer is *kinda* important for the discussion at hand, so...honest answers please?
I was just memeing though.
8 people agree.
:M

Last edited:

Riskbreaker

Nerdtards apparently have serious issues with processing the idea of male friendship. I remember listening to one podcast where its hosts, very much card carrying nerds both, were discussing that old Jonny Quest cartoon. They kept insisting that there was a homosexual relationship between Dr. Quest and Race Bannon, because reasons. They cannot imagine close relationship between two males without some sort of sexual element to it. And it's just something that I keep encountering again and again.

In short
these people should be shot

tormund

Arcane
The story in Mirror's Edge ends up being confusing because it appears mostly as "government bad, citizens good". Basically yet another neoliberal wet dream. You're expected to listen and believe, apparently there were some riots in the past and you were involved in them (as a little kid, which was somewhat hilarious to watch). Someone died along the way, your friend got in trouble, etc. It's kept in a very light teen novel atmosphere, always. Most of the people loved the game for its gameplay though, even if it's 5 hours long.
Story was barely there, easy to ignore, and was as simple and sterile as they get (kinda like the game's entire setting). It's kinda fitting that that's probably the best one out of all the games where she had (major) involvement with the writing.

What a fucking ugly harridan. Terry Pratchett deserved better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom