Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Icewind Dale in ToEE Engine: the first chapter demo beta or something

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Icewind Dale; Temple of Elemental Evil

*taptaptap* Is this thing on?

*ekhm*, OK, I haven't posted news here in a while. But you just have to see this.

Anyway, it looks as if our forum member Allyx has laid the groundwork for a total conversion of Icewind Dale to the Temple of Elemental Evil engine, bringing the turn-based goodness to the icy hills around Kuldahar. Just look at this screenshot and weep with joy:

It seems the first portion of the game is completed and, as expected in the case of all good turn-based projects, the whole thing will take years. But I sincerely hope more people will help with this. In general, my humble opinion is that purging the Infinity Engine games of the real time combat could lead to their improvement.

Here's the link: http://www.co8.org/community/index.php?threads/icewind-dale-toee-total-conversion-open-beta.12019/

Congratulations, Allyx, you're a true hero.

Uh, Happy New Year to all of you!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Elwro Newsposting doesn't work with HTML tags anymore. Hasn't for years. Use BBCode like you do in a regular forum post.

EDIT: Fixed it myself.

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well, one of the things is that turn-based can really shine with careful encounter design and transplanting those from a RT game to a TB one might not be ideal. But I don't want to be negative ;)

Last edited:

Mustawd

Shouldn't the codex thread be posted too? You need to be a co8 member to see any images, but I reposted screenshots in the codex thread.

Just saying.

This is going to be so awesome when it's finished... in a couple of years.

Now we just need someone to do the same for BG(2).

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
While I live the idea wouldn't it take insane amounts of work properly adapting the combat to work here? The skills and combat AI in the IE games was pretty basic but for it to work here with the Temple engine (especially for spell casters) must be a lot of work

Mustawd

While I live the idea wouldn't it take insane amounts of work properly adapting the combat to work here? The skills and combat AI in the IE games was pretty basic but for it to work here with the Temple engine (especially for spell casters) must be a lot of work

Well the modder said that so far the encounters felt pretty good as he was playing. In addition, the co8 community as well as some beta testers here will hopefully give plenty of feedback to polish the encounters.

Now we just need someone to do the same for BG(2).

Yah, I dunno if that'll ever happen unless there is a team of spergs willing to work overtime on it. IIRC, BG1 was going to be the initial conversion, but it was decided IWD1 was a lower scope game with less work. And even that will take 2.5 years total or so based on his estimates. And BG2? That'd prolly take fucking forever. Not even Drog could finish it.

Apparently Allyx went through the monster lists and surprisingly the ToEE bestiary covers basically everything in IWD1, so the ToEE monsters can just be plopped right in and continue using the ToEE AI. It will probably take a lot of fine tuning work since I'm sure the IWD monsters don't correspond exactly to ToEE monsters in terms of HD/spell lists though, and you also need to adapt 2E into the 3E ruleset.

I'm pretty sure BG1/2 and IWD2(?) fare a lot worse in how their enemy lists correspond to ToEE's, so you'd need a good artist and animator who could make something that doesn't stand out horribly next to the ToEE stuff. If IWD1 is estimated at 2.5 years then BG2 would probably take 4+ years from multiple people.

Severian Silk

Will this work with EE version of IWD?

Also, a nitpick: the snow in that screenie looks awfully yellowish.

Severian Silk

Icewind Dale is D&D. D&D is turn-based. It's Black Isle who robbed the game of its identity.

Severian Silk

It has to do with how ToEE shades the map...something to do with day/night cycles or something? The explanation is in the main thread in GRPG.
This should be disabled since IWD already has shadows baked into the background graphics. Day/night cycle makes no sense without changing the shadow angle.

[edit]

Never mind. ToEE has baked-in shadows as well.

Mustawd

It has to do with how ToEE shades the map...something to do with day/night cycles or something? The explanation is in the main thread in GRPG.
This should be disabled since IWD already has shadows baked into the background graphics. Day/night cycle makes no sense without changing the shadow angle.

[edit]

Never mind. ToEE has baked-in shadows as well.

he only thing is that on the bigger outside maps, no matter what time of the day, the "lighting" was a bit weird and snow was sort of piss-yellow, like in Dr Skeleton's screenshot. In the smaller areas (like before the orcs cave, or in the Kuldahar's pass smaller goblin/fire beetles area) the snow was pure white, like in ID.

I'm not sure there is much I can do about the dusk/twilight shades for the maps, that effect is the stock ToEE one, and I'm uncertain how to edit it, sorry.

Mustawd

Icewind Dale is D&D. D&D is turn-based. It's Black Isle who robbed the game of its identity.

Everything is still on timed action delays and dice-rolls. You can make these games as turn-based as you want to make them, all it requires is pressing the damn space-bar.

Umm no...Combat resolution happens in REAL TIME as in all at once. Not in a turn-based mode. Thus the name REAL TIME with PAUSE. Just because you can pause in real time does not make it turn based. No one takes a turn. You all just clusterfuck hit each other with attacks at the same time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom