Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Director's Commentary Streams with Josh Sawyer

Sentinel

Arcane

Quillon

Arcane
What sounds more likely to you:

1) Josh Sawyer went to the effort of giving a full-blown talk about implementing fancy weather effects, and now he's going to throw all of that away.
2) The game isn't announced yet and he's keeping his cards close to his chest.

Can't tell. 2 seems more likely/what I'd like it to be but at the same time he wouldn't go for something without knowing every angle/how to do it etc, maybe I don't know him that well tho.

Always thought if Josh was directing WL2, that game would come out smooth as fuck if not more interesting. Or Alpha Protocol. He seems to know his/his team's/his tech's limits & doesn't seem like a guy who'd change his vision for better or worse during mid production.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:lol: I get it, you're too lazy to search through the video and you want me to do the work. OK, I'll oblige.

And here we go: https://www.twitch.tv/obsidian/v/112158558?t=32m50s

Crowbars and poles mentioned at 33:10
"A little different for Wizards" at 33:40
It's literally in the first sentence he says. "Not for spells". "Scrolls would be cool", "potions would be okay".

And it's clear that he understood the question to be in the context of using those abilities in dialogue only.

If the guy who asked that question really wanted to know if the game was going to have Time Stop spells for wizards in combat, he should have just said Time Stop. By mentioning Levitation (a spell that clearly can't be used at will in a 2D game) and dialogue he diverted the discussion towards that.

Sentinel

Arcane
:lol: I get it, you're too lazy to search through the video and you want me to do the work. OK, I'll oblige.

And here we go: https://www.twitch.tv/obsidian/v/112158558?t=32m50s

Crowbars and poles mentioned at 33:10
"A little different for Wizards" at 33:40
It's literally in the first sentence he says. "Not for spells". "Scrolls would be cool", "potions would be okay".

And it's clear that he understood the question to be in the context of using those abilities in dialogue only.

If the guy who asked that question really wanted to know if the game was going to have Time Stop spells for wizards in combat, he should have just said Time Stop. By mentioning Levitation (a spell that clearly can't be used at will in a 2D game) and dialogue he diverted the discussion towards that.
Sawyer doesn't mention dialogue and even gives the example of "Scroll of Far Sight" (which reveals enemies in fog of war) as a "cool thing" to have. Why the fuck would you ever use fog of war reveal if not in combat?
He clearly isn't talking about dialogue situations.
Also the question was about utility spells in general, it wasn't about time stop in particular.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this. The Scroll of Farseeing/fog of war revealing example that he brought up is an exception, true, but it's not what he was asked about. And nobody really cares about that, you want Invisibility and Time Stop, right? Those two spells aren't only useful in "edge cases" like he mentioned at the end, so it's not clear that they fit in here at all.

Perhaps somebody can ask him about this more clearly in the final stream.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Josh believes only rogues should be able to become invisible, so giving that to a spellcaster is a nonstarter. :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Josh believes only rogues should be able to become invisible, so giving that to a spellcaster is a nonstarter. :M
You mean like stealth? All classes have stealth in PoE. :M

But it's only usable outside of combat. An invisibility spell could be the opposite of that, only usable in combat like a buff, so it doesn't compete with/replace stealth.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You mean like stealth? All classes have stealth in PoE. :M

But it's only usable outside of combat. An invisibility spell could be the reverse, only usable in combat like a buff, so it doesn't replace stealth.

Shadowing Beyond is the invisibility talent for rogues. It can be used twice per rest (or potentially twice per encounter as noted by Josh).

Shadenuat

Arcane
Sawyer follows "don't promise bullshit you don't know you'll deliver", that's reasonable.

And there never will be off-combat spells or stuff like levitation or invisibility how we want to see it (something that gives completely unique advantage), this design is too riskygrognard, Obsidian nor Sawyer would never follow it. If something like that would be in game expect and option to buy a scroll for 200 coppers to replace it or pass Dexterity 16 and get a +5 Deflection ring out of all that.
I expect cargo cult NWN2 design everywhere like always.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A levitation spell that makes you temporarily immune to ground spells would actually be pretty keen imo

Sentinel

Arcane
A levitation spell that makes you temporarily immune to ground spells would actually be pretty keen imo
You can't have that because then the class would be too powerful and feel mandatory and you might actually start feeling like a wizard, and Sawyer wouldn't want that.
Better have it as a scroll that anyone can use.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You can't have that because then the class would be too powerful and feel mandatory and you might actually start feeling like a wizard, and Sawyer wouldn't want that.

Have you paid attention to the self-buffs that wizards get, or the party-wide buffs that priests get?

Sentinel

Arcane

Have you paid attention to the self-buffs that wizards get, or the party-wide buffs that priests get?
I did. Didn't impress.

Shadenuat

Arcane
POE priests now are more important to party than D&D priests, because they completely messed up with immunities and distributing spells against them across classes.
Well that and a few buffs that increase your defences by like 50% making you almost immune to any encounter.
That's what happens when spell selection isn't balanced across classes because oy noy some class might get too powerful. At least in IE wizard could cast protection from fear or fire on party. In PoE you have to carry scrollbot around to replicate some of even the simpliest, but important effects.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
POE priests now are more important to party than D&D priests, because they completely messed up with immunities and distributing spells against them across classes.

I asked about this in the stream btw: https://www.twitch.tv/obsidian/v/112158558?t=44m

That's what happens when spell selection isn't balanced across classes because oy noy some class might get too powerful.

lol but it made Priests too powerful. But yes, I agree, the solution is moar balance. :cool:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
At least in IE wizard could cast protection from fear or fire on party. In PoE you have to carry scrollbot around to replicate some of even the simpliest, but important effects.

Take drugs and potions. :M

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Some drugs became useful after your beloved fixed them, but it's not even near "I cast protection from everything" that priest can do on your tank with 1 button.

In the base campaign, litany against major afflictions is overkill, and given what few level 6 spells you can cast, I'd rather use any other spell. :)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
That was pretty fun, got in some okay questions. Too bad Josh is pointedly ignoring questions about changes to engagement and per rest/per encounter. I guess that'll have to come later.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

rating_oldman.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom