Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 1 unofficial patches include sfall?

hal900x

Augur
I'm playing Fallout 1 with unofficial patches 1.2 and 1.3.5. I noticed that ddraw files are already in the root folder, so I assumed the old Fallout 1 sfall was bundled in. However, when I edit ddraw.ini the options don't seem to take effect (specifically, the item highlighting functionality and mouse wheel binding). Any ideas? I have a copy of sfall unofficial 1.19 by Crafty, I could overwrite with that but I'd rather avoid mucking it up any further.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
The TeamX patches (1.2 and 1.3.5) shouldn't contain any version of sfall. They are much older than sfall. It is strange that there are ddraw files in the root folder. Do you have the bethesda version of F1? I think it is bundled with some modified version of sfall.

I would overwrite these strange ddraw files with Crafty's sfall right off the bat.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
IIRC Timeslip (sfall's author) stopped working on sfall for FO1 and asked everyone to remove it from everywhere. Cause he's a bitch ass drama queen.

hal900x

Augur
It's the GoG version. I also noticed that sfall is not part of 1.2 or 1.3.5. And I damn sure didn't put it in there. Even wierder...the Options menu contains a toggle for "Item highlight" (which also doesn't work). So it must have been...GoG? I tried overwriting with Crafty's modified sfall for Fallout 1 but it caused a crash on startup. Stupid Russians. There are some other versions out there...hard to find, but I think I can come up with one of them.

PS: Drog calling another modder a "bitch ass drama queen"...tee hee. Self-aware humor? Love ya Drog, Arcanum would not be the same without you.

pippin

Well, the GOG version is also the Bethesda version now, but you can access the original game directly from its folder.

hal900x

Augur
Well, the GOG version is also the Bethesda version now, but you can access the original game directly from its folder.

Yeah. However, in order to get HD resolutions I need to go through the fallouthd link. The fact that the HD exe is even there tells me the GoG version is modified somehow. Maybe that's my problem: the HD exe doesn't talk to sfall or vice versa.

mettalhed

Educated
Go to NMA and get the Fallout FIXT patch. Includes sfall, high res patch, teamx patches, extra bug fixes, and lots of other goodies. Pretty much the best F1 patch out there. Not sure how it will work with the GOG version since it's apparently already modded. Comes with its own installer so you can pick and choose which options you want. There is a thread in the Fallout General Modding section that'll tell you what all is included/changed. Did a full play through last year and didn't have any issues, however, i do believe some people still have problems. I think the boxing match not triggering properly was the main complaint.

hal900x

Augur
Go to NMA and get the Fallout FIXT patch. Includes sfall, high res patch, teamx patches, extra bug fixes, and lots of other goodies. Pretty much the best F1 patch out there. Not sure how it will work with the GOG version since it's apparently already modded. Comes with its own installer so you can pick and choose which options you want. There is a thread in the Fallout General Modding section that'll tell you what all is included/changed. Did a full play through last year and didn't have any issues, however, i do believe some people still have problems. I think the boxing match not triggering properly was the main complaint.

I did some beta testing for Fixt. Wasn't sure if it was in a finished state...pretty buggy when I was testing. Glad it's working out.

mettalhed

Educated
I did some beta testing for Fixt. Wasn't sure if it was in a finished state...pretty buggy when I was testing. Glad it's working out.

I believe it's still in alpha but i didn't seem to have any problems. I think he is currently working on porting F1 into the F2 engine. It's supposed to include all the additions of the Fixt patch in the port. Supposed to be 75% done. He said that F2 engine is easier to mod and he will continue working on the new Fixt when that's done. I hope it gets finished. F1 doesn't get enough love IMO.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I'm pretty sure I used sfall with the team x patch when I last played fallout 1, but that was 1-2 years ago. IIRC Sfall has its own resolution settings, no need for an extra resolution patch.

Maybe you need this?: https://translate.google.gr/transla...mx.ru/site_arc/patches/index.html&prev=search

Fallout v.1.2.1 universal patch (eng)

Attempts to unify all english (US, UK, EU) releases and fix problems with an earlier v.1.0 releases. If you have any strange issues with the game after installing 1.2 and/or 1.3.x TeamX patches, try to install this patch. Do not install 1.2 patch if you're using this (1.2.1) version!

hal900x

Augur
Bah. Too many newfags, no love for the old stuff anymore.

Welcome to 2010's. I don't know shit about your problems though. nor do I care. Have fun with 'em. :)
I can't tell if you lack humor entirely, or just have a nuanced sarcasm. Either way, don't worry you're in the club. 6 years is acceptable...unless you like things that scale to your level. Then you are scum.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bah. Too many newfags, no love for the old stuff anymore.

Welcome to 2010's. I don't know shit about your problems though. nor do I care. Have fun with 'em. :)
I can't tell if you lack humor entirely, or just have a nuanced sarcasm. Either way, don't worry you're in the club. 6 years is acceptable...unless you like things that scale to your level. Then you are scum.

There was an attempt at some form of humor, but I can't recall the point. I wasn't in condition to drive back then. Shit happens.

valcik

Arcane
I noticed that ddraw files are already in the root folder, so I assumed the old Fallout 1 sfall was bundled in. However, when I edit ddraw.ini the options don't seem to take effect (specifically, the item highlighting functionality and mouse wheel binding). Any ideas?
Lame oldfags!

http://sfall.sourceforge.net/FAQ.html
Where is the fallout 1 version of sfall?

There has never been a fallout 1 version of sfall. The mod that was available that shared the same name was not sfall in the fallout 2 sense, but mostly just a glorified fix for the black screen issues. This can now be accomplished more easily, and with less restrictions on which version of the fallout exe you need to use, with the resolution patch.

I don't intend to make anything along the lines of sfall for fallout 1 myself.

hal900x

Augur

What Drog said. Original Sfall guy is a modder princess. His work was continued for Fallout 1 and the result was sfall that has some, but not all, of the capabilities of sfall for Fallout 2. He of course will not speak of this. Modders...

Can someone do me a favor and do a clean install of the current GOG version of Fallout 1 and tell me if you have the ddraw files in your install folder? 'Preciate ya.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Modder drama did have some justification. http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Dude101/Fallout2.exe_goes_GPL?_(General_Public_Licence)

Most of you should be aware that Interplay included Killap's Fallout 2 patch and Timeslip's Sfall, without permission or even consultation with the authors in their Trilogy and Steam re-releases of Fallout 2. They where also uncredited for their hard work. The patch was an earlier buggier version funnily enough, and Killap was only unhappy they did not ask him/her for the latest version. The version of Sfall they included had a very nasty bug in it (hilarious).

Well it turns out Sfall may contain GPL code, and the way it was packaged in the steam release of FO2 automatically infects the game with a GPL licence... which means they are obligated to provide the sourcecode! Timeslip is trying to clarify if GPL code is indeed in her mod, as she is obligated as well to put the source code back up. The source code was temporarily removed after her work was stolen.

valcik

Arcane
His work was continued for Fallout 1 and the result was sfall that has some, but not all, of the capabilities of sfall for Fallout 2. He of course will not speak of this. Modders...
Uninformed opinions are uninformed.
Timeslip, as a former gog.com employee, allowed them to include her fix in Fallout 1 in order to fix the rendering issues on present operating systems. She was also very supportive when other people continued to expand on her work, until she got married and decided to step away from modding. In order to prevent random noobs from bothering her with noob questions she made it very clear that she's not responsible for any future versions of her mod and do not want to be associated with it anymore. Which is understandable - you do not follow dozens of new features added, you do not have slightest idea what is included in the latest compilations of these mods, so you do not want to be bothered by entitled demands from douche teenagers anymore and you can't be responsible for the source code written by complete strangers. Entitled oldfags of course will not speak of this. Noobs...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's not "There has never been a fallout 1 version of sfall. The mod that was available that shared the same name was not sfall in the fallout 2 sense, but mostly just a glorified fix for the black screen issues. This can now be accomplished more easily, and with less restrictions on which version of the fallout exe you need to use, with the resolution patch.

I don't intend to make anything along the lines of sfall for fallout 1 myself."

Which is a damned lie http://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/timeslip-fallout-1-and-2-engine-tweaks.178418/

valcik

Arcane
So? From the OP you're linking:
I've only tested it with the copy of fallout2.exe that comes with megamod 2, but it should work with a normal v1.02 US version too.
Both fallout2.exe from megamod and normal v1.02 US executable are Fallout 2 files, where do you see a lie? The thread title written by Kharn perhaps?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So? From the OP you're linking:

Both fallout2.exe from megamod and normal v1.02 US executable are Fallout 2 files, where do you see a lie? The thread title written by Kharn perhaps?

The fact that there's a link to Fallout 1's SFall right there. Moreover, the story you give contradicts Timeslip's own words.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom