Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wake me up when the Incline begins...

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
it has been almost 5 years since the first big Kickstarters for Divinity Original Sin, Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity and while most of those early pie in the sky games delivered good if not great games none of them have delivered the "timeless classic" their pedigree would lead us to believe. Other games like Age of Decandence, Underrail and Undertale had much lower profiles but also delivered pretty good stuff but still none of them feeled me with the wonder of let alone a Darklands or Baldur's Gate but even a unheralded gem like The Summoning.
All in all after I finished Tyranny over the Hollidays I wanted to play something else and I ended up replaying Dark Souls, doing some missions in Metal Gear V and firing up Stalker Misery to see how the game ran with my new 1060gtx and all of a sudden I had done the first map in a couple of hours and the sun was almost up...
My point is that most of the "new incline" games are good games but none have filled me with the wonder of Saying "yeah that is one of my all time favorites" and I seriously doubt I will be replaying them the same way I do Stalker, System Shock or a good Might and Magic...the closest I came was replaying Wasteland 2 for the director cut (which made some pretty good improvements) and trying a different conquest section and first chapter for Tyranny to see the changes in the but other than I hardly see myself replaying them for awhile
Oh Mr Blakemore why have you abandoned your most fervent disciple?! When will Grimoire come to announce the true Incline?

D!!

Educated
Shadowrun games are the greatest Incline for me, mostly thanks to fan-made Steam Workshop campaigns. I think I've played through everything that lasts longer than 10 minutes. And I still want more.

Wasteland 2 modding tools are pathetic in comparison and that's a shame, because it's just a minor things that stops it from getting the title of "timeless classic", such as additional types of non-combat random encounters and a little extra content on empty areas like Santa Fe Springs.

Torment: Tides of Numenera will surely deliver.

mondblut

Arcane
Maybe+he+was+in+glass+coffin+like+the+sleeping+beauty+_093ce30b5d79af197547892ad22bd7e5.jpg

skel2.jpg

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Shadowrun games are the greatest Incline for me, mostly thanks to fan-made Steam Workshop campaigns. I think I've played through everything that lasts longer than 10 minutes. And I still want more.

Wasteland 2 modding tools are pathetic in comparison and that's a shame, because it's just a minor things that stops it from getting the title of "timeless classic", such as additional types of non-combat random encounters and a little extra content on empty areas like Santa Fe Springs.

Torment: Tides of Numenera will surely deliver.

Not to derail this thread, which is surely going somewhere fast, any highlights/recommended fan campaigns? I own DF and HK.

Dorateen

Arcane
The Incline will commence when cRPGs are made that look and play like the classics from the early to mid 90's. That's why your reference to the fabled Grimoire, while made half in jest, is closer to the mark. Produce something the has the graphic and systems fidelity of a Wizardry 7, for example, and you will find massive Incline.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Actually I am not joking; from what I have played and seen of Grimoire it will probably be one of my all time favorites, heck even the superdemo is better than 99% of the current games
And I only played a bit of the Shadowrun games but they look Incline enough I have all 3 from sales too

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Tfw people continue to forget that ToEE is fully moddable.
Yeah it's only a matter of time before professional top writers start writing quality mods for free for your entertainment.

You can't get good writing in AAA movies nowadays that get tons of oscars, yet you expect it in mods?

Mustawd

There are plenty of great FRUA and NWN1 and NWN2 mods that have more than credible writing. The hard part is that the combat in NWN1/NWN2 is terrible. Not sure what people's excuse for not playing FRUA mods is.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
it has been almost 5 years since the first big Kickstarters for Divinity Original Sin, Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity and while most of those early pie in the sky games delivered good if not great games none of them have delivered the "timeless classic" their pedigree would lead us to believe. Other games like Age of Decandence, Underrail and Undertale had much lower profiles but also delivered pretty good stuff but still none of them feeled me with the wonder of let alone a Darklands or Baldur's Gate but even a unheralded gem like The Summoning.

In a cultural sense, no great game is an immediately classic. They become classics as time passes, creating a following, becoming an inspiration for other games, etc. In another, more genuine sense, a great game is a great game no matter what. Even if only a few will recognize its value, it would still be a classic. The truth is that we should expect more and more shitty games misleadingly labelled as classics in the cultural sense (e.g., PoE, W2, etc.) and genuine classics ignored (e.g., AoD, etc).

Now, considering your opinions, I agree with your criticisms against the kickstarter failures, but disagree with the rest. If you think that AoD didn’t beat Darklands and Underrail didn’t beat BG, you are either nostalgic, have bad taste, or both. The truth is that if you think that the evidence of actual incline is the way you felt when you played those games for the first time, you are delusional. Besides, these games shouldn’t be the standards to evaluate every cRPG, especially a popamole game such as BG.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Hey now so good old fashioned controversy; you think that AoD or Underrail are BETTER than older games because graphics and shit? Hell that is interesting, so Underrail is better than say Fallout and AoD is better than Darklands? I said both games are great but truly you want to say that whenever they decide to do another greatest evah games here in the Codex both of those games will be higher than Darklands of Baldur's Gate?
Now who is beign delusional bub in his KKK edgy as a blade wannabe conoseur pose?

The Incline will commence when cRPGs are made that look and play like the classics from the early to mid 90's. That's why your reference to the fabled Grimoire, while made half in jest, is closer to the mark. Produce something the has the graphic and systems fidelity of a Wizardry 7, for example, and you will find massive Incline.

totally disagree. bloodlines looks like a modern game (actually even better, that incredible turboturd of "life is strange" makes characters and emotions its selling point and its characters show not even one tenth of the emotions bloodlines' did with a 15 years old engine) and plays like a gorram masterpiece.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Hey now so good old fashioned controversy; you think that AoD or Underrail are BETTER than older games because graphics and shit? Hell that is interesting, so Underrail is better than say Fallout and AoD is better than Darklands? I said both games are great but truly you want to say that whenever they decide to do another greatest evah games here in the Codex both of those games will be higher than Darklands of Baldur's Gate?
Now who is beign delusional bub in his KKK edgy as a blade wannabe conoseur pose?

With his dick so far down the throat, Lurker King is basically using VD's asshole to breathe.

AoD didn't beat anything at anything.

Tigranes

Arcane
Post-KS period has produced a lot more RPGs worth playing, from both mid-sized devs and indies. It certainly beats waiting for AOD in 2008 or whatever while everyone's raving about Oblivion and Bethesda buys the Fallout license.

Did anyone expect that POE, WL2, DOS, etc. would be as good as Fallout 1 or Torment, though? They are inevitably going to be products of the 2010s - made by that generation of developers, sharing much of those later sensibilities, no matter how old school they try to be.

What I enjoy is having a more varied offering of good titles, with different kinds of pacing and enjoyment and strengths, rather than hoping for games that beat PST tit for tat. In that respect it's great to see D:OS and D:OS2, even if I'd never rank them above the golden age games, for example.

Lostpleb

Learned

In a cultural sense, no great game is an immediately classic. They become classics as time passes, creating a following, becoming an inspiration for other games, etc. In another, more genuine sense, a great game is a great game no matter what. Even if only a few will recognize its value, it would still be a classic. The truth is that we should expect more and more shitty games misleadingly labelled as classics in the cultural sense (e.g., PoE, W2, etc.) and genuine classics ignored (e.g., AoD, etc).

Now, considering your opinions, I agree with your criticisms against the kickstarter failures, but disagree with the rest. If you think that AoD didn’t beat Darklands and Underrail didn’t beat BG, you are either nostalgic, have bad taste, or both. The truth is that if you think that the evidence of actual incline is the way you felt when you played those games for the first time, you are delusional. Besides, these games shouldn’t be the standards to evaluate every cRPG, especially a popamole game such as BG.
A game becomes a classic when it does something new and does it well. The thing is that this is becoming rarer and rarer, since video games are no longer a pipe dream realized by three dudes who only have cheese toast to sustain themselves.

I think that BG2 is much more popamole than BG1, but if you really want to go down the road of calling those games linear, then it could be argued that all cRPGs are popamole because there is always going to be one way of doing things that is inherently better than another and the human brain is programmed to seek it out. So for example, you could roll a Mage and grind mobs in the wilds next to Candlekeep ad nauseam to get to your second level, but that's a lot less effective than rolling a Warrior and just hoofing it over to Nashkel Mines for your four digit main quest XP rewards. The same would apply to every RPG that has ever made an attempt to be open-ended.

The incline is also hard to find because there are a lot of developers that are doing stupid shit with their kickstarter earnings. See Unsung Story.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

totally disagree. bloodlines looks like a modern game (actually even better, that incredible turboturd of "life is strange" makes characters and emotions its selling point and its characters show not even one tenth of the emotions bloodlines' did with a 15 years old engine) and plays like a gorram masterpiece.
Yeah and that was exactly my point; arguably the non pedigree Fargo or Sven hyped games like Age of Decadence or Undertale are likely to become more "classic" than those games but right now I dont see a timeless classic like the aforementioned games...a case could be made for AoD and even Divinity Original Sin to become a classic in the same way Bloodlines did pretty much from the start, it is like you either got it or you don't and it's apparent pretty early on

Quillon

Arcane
The truth is that we should expect more and more shitty games misleadingly labelled as classics in the cultural sense (e.g., PoE, W2, etc.) and genuine classics ignored (e.g., AoD, etc).

How can a game like AoD be a classic when it looks & plays like a 15 year old game? Any of those old classics was like that when they came out? Did Fallout/Torment etc looked like 1983's games at their release time?

Anyway, you can bet on that it will be ignored.

And PoE-WL2 etc won't be classics neither, they too don't look particularly state of the art.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
They sure didn't look like 1997 games at their release time.

But surely nobody called Fallout/Torment/early 2000s IE games as looking(or playing) old tho, at the time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom