Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Icewind Dale in TToEE Engine Total Conversion - Prologue Demo Released

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Pathfinding seems little wonky occasionally. Instead of walking in a straight path, the party moves diagonally to the side, then backtracks a little before finding its way to the right destination. Seems to happen near buildings.
Pretty sure this is an issue with regular TOEE, and is fixed in Temple+

Allyx

Savant
Temple+ installs into the PC user account's %appdata% folder (a bit like Minecraft does - and yes I'm a bit embarrassed that I know that much about Minecraft, but I have a daughter and step son who both play it on occasion) and doesn't directly overwrite any ToEE files.

Temple+ does however have files that override ToEE files, so Temple+ files are used instead of ToEE's files.

While I have a basic understanding of HOW Temple+ works, I don't know much about what else it can do, so I'll make this mod the way I know how to, and figure out Temple+ later (or let others do that bit for me).

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Hey guize ! Guess which it's gonna be :
MkTrNZ2.jpg

Anymay, I started a new game to see the difference in the orc caves, and see I did. :lol:
First, when you enter you get this :
Q6D4Nob.jpg

Now, I'm all for dropping the "fight three orcs while the others, all of three yards away, don't give a fuck" combat in favour of a more coherent enemy behaviour, but this might be pushing it a bit.
Nice touch with the potion icon though :
xlgXmTA.jpg

How many fucking orcs are there in here anyway ?
dXSEg9g.jpg

I went out to rest and back again, and yes, here it goes again... One visible enemy but eight opponents.
rc4WUSu.jpg

After killing all those, I heard frantic casting as the remaining shamen started to spam "I don't know which" spell, but it was annoying. The casting sound happened twice every second and it created slowdowns like in the nodes. Anyway, I found them :
5jeoesO.jpg

After that all went well.
S22MsbE.jpg

OH YES !

I just got to Kuldahar's pass to see if it works. It does.
oNkZSVg.jpg

I'll do it next time, the orcs caves pretty much burned me out. I even had to go back to Easthaven to sell some loot and buy some healing potions to finish those damned caves. Go back to Easthaven FFS ! As for the shaman AI, the only difference I saw was that they used "Hold person" on top of the usual "Bless", "Sound burst" and "Obscuring mist".
So all in all, I have mixed feelings about this difficulty overhaul. On the one hand it's way more difficult than it was and it put me in dire situations (I had to use the "Heal" skill twice, which is about as much as I used it in all of ToEE), but OTOH it's sometimes very frustrating to fight so many enemies at once, especially when most of them are in the dark, somewhere...

Well, huge thank you to you Allyx, I may bitch a bit but I'm having a blast overall. I'll post my Kuldahar's pass adventures soon. I hope I won't have to fight the whole goblin horde in one big fight. :?

Last edited:

Allyx

Savant
Hmm, was that with a completely new game? there shouldn't have been that many Orcs, It looks like both the original set and the new set are both present, they shouldn't be. I'll test myself tomorrow and see for myself. there certainly shouldn't be 2 shaman at the top of the cave.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
It may be due to my installation problems. When I first installed the mod, it didn't ask me for the Icewind Dale game location. I thought that was weird, but it seemed to install just fine, so I played and took the first screenshots I posted in this thread. Then I downloaded your fix and when I wanted to install it, the Icewind Dale module was not "activated" (even though it played just fine) so I couldn't activate your add-on fix. So I activated both (and got asked for the original ID CHitin key this time) and the installing went fine but my saves were gone. So I started a new game since that's what I wanted to do anyway. I guess it would make some sort of weird sense that both installs somehow "cumulated" in an orcish overload. Fortunately there was only one ogre. Its dead body did move back to its original "starting" location after I killed it a dozen feet away though.

Whatever happened, it's reassuring to know that those massive numbers were not intended because it sure as hell was a hard fight.
:australia:

Last edited:

Allyx

Savant
Ah okay, well no other additions were made to Kuldahar Pass so the rest of this run should be good. Afterwards though, could you reactivate the module, and patch 2 as before and reassure me that it was your installation at fault and not another missed error on my part please?

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Sure, as soon as I'm done with the module, which shouldn't be too long now, I'll do a clean install and check. But hopefully others here who played it normally should be able to confirm it even before that.

Last edited:

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Okay, I fnished the demo. Real good work Allyx ! :salute:

After that I uninstalled everything, re-installed and tried a new game, went to the orc caves, played a bit and everything seems back to normal, so my install was at fault.
See ? No more flocks of orcs.
MMhHYvY.jpg

So thanks for this great mod, I hope it gets to completion. I can only urge all those interested in trying it, since it delivers exactly what it promises, namely "Icewind Dale in ToEE engine". If that ain't a good promise, then I don't know what is. So try it now !

Some screenshots :

The goblin infested pass.
WhhJPFu.jpg

Lots of goblins, and ill breathing fire beetles too.
aOUglBn.jpg

In these heavily goblined areas, cleave is your friend.
4FVvAmu.jpg

Meet old friends like that ogre in the tower.
cjM18ti.jpg

Or that goblin at the windmill.
KfIYB3z.jpg

More gobs and beetles.
uv0IBaJ.jpg

End of the demo. :cry:
yDFhni6.jpg

Mustawd

Well, the Demo is uploaded, you can find a link to download it in this thread.

Allyx, I recommend you hit the conductor we have a problem button above your post and ask that the link to the demo be included in the first page. You don't have editing privileges past 5 minutes or so until you've been here a year.

I think people stumbling on the thread would find it useful instead of having to hunt for it.

EDIT: IWD Mod activating!! Oh sheeeeeeeeiiiittt

pippin

I congratulate the creator for his efforts, I love Icewind Dale THIS MUCH, just ike ToEE, but deep inside I still miss those good old sprites :(
From what I'm seeing it feels better than NWN2's IWD, though.

Mustawd

This mod is prolly for people who never played IWD due to horrible combat system of IE games.

Mustawd

Having issues activating IWD module. It gets to 100% and says Activation successful, but when I hit "ok" nothing happens. I can't get rid of the menu below. This is the second time this is happening. The first time I killed the app in Task Manager, but then could not activate the IWD mod at all. So I uninstalled ToEE for a fresh install, and still getting this issue.

:(

EDIT: I have the Steam version of IWD:EE if that makes a diff...

264516d6-654c-4e58-9e87-3ac418d9b752
264516d6-654c-4e58-9e87-3ac418d9b752
aX4bRet.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Allyx

Savant
Mustawd a number of people have had that issue, apparently the first attempt to activate needs to be forced closed, but the second attempt will work correctly.

I will repackage up this demo (including the Frontend application and patch 2) after I've tested it a bit more and make a new thread for it as suggested. I will also upload it to www.ModdB.com once I've confirmed all the kinks have been ironed out.

Thanks to everyone who has been testing it out, I hope you enjoyed the mod so far, I've enjoyed making it. Next stop, Kuldahar, Yeti's and a whole hoard of undead monsters :D

Mustawd

Mustawd a number of people have had that issue, apparently the first attempt to activate needs to be forced closed, but the second attempt will work correctly.

I'll try, but I've already done that and got a weird error. I'll try again and report the results. Thanks.

Oh and I think you don't need a new thread. Just ask mods to edit the first post to include the link.

Mustawd

So I killed the app and tried rerunning TFE-X.exe and got this error:

YEzmsK0.png

Allyx

Savant
Ah, OK I understand you now.

That dialogue box is asking you to locate the chitin.key file for your Icewind Dale installation. For the steam vesion of IWD: EE it's located in Steam/steamapps/common/icewind Dale

Once the file has been located it should activate just fine. Don't forget to use the patch 2 add on as well.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I will repackage up this demo (including the Frontend application and patch 2) after I've tested it a bit more and make a new thread for it as suggested. I will also upload it to www.ModdB.com once I've confirmed all the kinks have been ironed out.

Thanks to everyone who has been testing it out, I hope you enjoyed the mod so far, I've enjoyed making it. Next stop, Kuldahar, Yeti's and a whole hoard of undead monsters :D
I had that problem too, the first attempt didn't ask for the IWD location then froze at ACTIVATION COMPLETE. I got it to work eventually though.

ToEE models do look a little off on IWD backgrounds at first but once you go into combat it's all forgiven.

I7bG8d5.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom