Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best 2016 Games List

Villagkouras

Arcane
Happy new year everyone!

What happened to Codex? No GOTY lists this year? No math drama to count everything? :decline:

So, I've made my list of 2016 best games that I played (I know I missed a lot of them and my list would probably change) and decided to share it with you. I've got to say that I small games are my thing than AAA games, so this list focuses mostly on them. Here goes:

Best AAA Game: Dark Souls 3

The Souls series are not the typical Action/RPG game anymore. Instead they are games that matter to all gaming fans. DS3 does not have the charm of DS1 nor the length and diversity of DS2, but it's a fine game, great looking with deep lore, maybe the best set of bosses in all Soulsborne series, a worthy entry and finale of the series that never got into decline by the industry's standards.

Best Indie Game: Inside

I'm a big fan of Limbo. But Inside is so perfect, it blows Limbo to pieces. It has some of the most exciting puzzle set pieces I've ever seen, so much atmosphere and the best animation I've witnessed in a pc game. Who cares about the plot or its meaning? Inside is a great experience and you should indulge yourself in it.

Best RPG: Tyranny

I haven't finished it yet, but I will in short time. It's not perfect, but it's the better release in a not so good year for RPGs (2017 would be a lot better). I like the setting a lot, I enjoy combat a lot more that PoE and the plot is much more appealing to me. I would like it to be a bit shorter to play it again with different choices.

Honourable mentions: Grim Dawn, Avadon 3: The Warborn

Letdown: I Am Setsuna
(I needed a good JRPG and I was hoping this one would be nice, but it was very weak, too easy and full of cliches. Too bad)

Best Platformer: Owlboy

There is no explanation for this game being so delayed, apart for the love and care these devs gave it. And it really shows. The (really tortured by everyone) pixel art is perfect, animations are great, the (JRPG like) plot is not as childish as it seems. It has the perfect length for this kind of game before it becomes tiresome and very balanced level of challenge.

Honourable mention: Salt & Sanctuary (the opposite of Owlboy in cuteness, but just as great)

Best Adventure: Candle

What the fuck, people? Why is everyone ignoring it, don't you like good games anymore? With great puzzles that require observation and imagination only, marvelous hand drawn graphics and a very nice narrator? I feel Candle is the most underrated game of 2016 and this is totally undeserved.

Honourable mention: Samorost 3

Best Action Game: Hyper Light Drifter

At first, while the game had all the elements for being a classic, the 30 fps cap ruined it. I never thought that the difference between 30 and 60 fps would be that decisive in terms of gameplay quality. After the 60 fps patch, it was a different game, all the frustration vanished, everything flowed much better and matched the quality of world building, secrets and lore to an extremely satisfying level.

Honourable mention: Furi

Best Strategy/Tactics: XCOM 2

Ok, this one is pretty obvious and well known, but XCOM 2 managed to meet its own expectations. As a package it has no flaws, especially after the optimization patches and it has great modding community for new content and fixes.

Honourable mentions: Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, Hearts of Iron IV

Best Walking Sim: Firewatch

Walking sims are not my cup of tea, but Firewatch is definitely worth of your attention. While the plot is not groundbreaking, the bond between the two main character is so well constructed that you actually care of what's going to happen in the end. One of the keys is the great job of Rich Sommer in acting.

Honourable mention: Event[0]

Best Game that No One Knows: The Way

If this game had just ok gameplay, it would be one of the best. Still, it reeks 90's atmosphere, it has nice story and reminds a lot Another World. Oh, and great soundtrack too. It just needs better gameplay.

Feel free to shit on everything I wrote and contribute your shit too!

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Good choices but Tyranny is not the best RPG. Basically choose anything else except that one.

Deleted member 7219

I haven't played that many games this year. I've mainly been catching up on my backlog, or not playing games until they get patched, get cheaper, or I get a better PC (e.g. Dishonored 2, Hitman, Quantum Break, XCOM 2).

From what I played:

RPGs:

Tyranny was far and away the best RPG of the year. I'm still playing Trails of Cold Steel 2. I enjoyed Final Fantasy X HD Remaster. Witcher 3 Blood & Wine was amazing, but doesn't really count as it was an expansion. Same with Shadowrun: Hong Kong expansion and Pillars of Eternity: The White March, which added a lot of good content onto what was already a great game (fuck you).

I couldn't get far into I am Setsuna, and while Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was a good game, it wasn't as good as Human Revolution and the ending was disappointing.

Action:

Uncharted 4 was the best action game I played this year. I also liked Rise of the Tomb Raider and Titanfall 2. DOOM bored me. I wish they'd done a bit more with the story, like they had done with Wolfenstein: The New Order, but they made this one for the fans of the oldest games in the series and I get that.

Strategy:

Total War: Warhammer was good. I played quite a bit of the Empire campaign before putting aside to wait for more patches/a better PC. I also completed Banner Saga 2 and liked it a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Were there any good RPG's released last year?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
So you liked Tyranny, great. But anything else (not expansions) that was good?

Ranarama

Learned
Sorry, what part of Tyranny actually appeals to you? The story is fanfiction, the choices are pick a faction which determines the combination of a series of shared set pieces/combats you'll go through, and the combat was tedious and far too easy. Not to mention the plot contradicted the setting. Am I an impartial third party, no, I guess I have to side with one of the groups of hopeless retards (which you have to do even if you want to go solo later).

And you complain that all the good RPGs were actually expansions? Well Tyranny *felt* like an expansion. That's how short it was. I'd give my 2016 award to one of the larger RPG expansions released. Twitcher or White March easy. But then Dark Arisen was released for real (i.e. on PC) in 2016. If you're going for button mashing, why not actually control your character?

And then there was everything non-AAA. The combat of Epikos shits on Tyranny's. 10/10 would play as a farmer again.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Yes the combat of Epikos is really fun, very good use of the "one tile per turn movement" with a lot of inventive and appropriate skills and monsters.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Were there any good RPG's released last year?
The best CRPG of 2016 was a port of a 2012 console game with action-based combat, made by a Japanese AAA company. :M

Dungeon Rats is a worthwhile SRPG, which is to say a squad-based tactics game with character customization/progression.

Warlock of Firetop Mountain is the best computerized gamebook ever made.

DemonKing

Arcane
My highlights for 2016 have been Rise of the Tomb Raider, Dark Souls 3, Dishonored 2, Tyranny & Shadow Tactics.

New Doom SP was OK I guess as was BF1 and Overwatch if you're into MP shooters.

Xeon

Augur
Haven't played a lot of new games in 2016 but from the ones I played, I'll probably go with SWTOR even tho it came out a long time ago and its an MMO. I don't play MMO, I am mostly a solo RPG/strategy games, I saw an LP of it and enjoyed it and kinda made me want to play it.

I only enjoyed the stories tho of the original, combat was zero challenge because you scale to the level of the planet and you have a companion which is kinda like god mode or something. The expansions were kinda bad, Hutt was boring for the most part. Revan kinda started out good but turned bad, at least had pretty good worlds.

KotFE has terrible story, terrible combat and my god I almost died from stress from all the trash combat, 3 steps and new enemies spawn out of no where like in DA2 but a lot worse, bosses were terrible with immunity until you deal with waves of trash combat. Overall a shit expansion.

KotET wasn't as bad, story was less than average, combat at least wasn't as stressful and there was some variety for the approach. Last boss has an awesome voice. overall was kinda eh. Also they introduced a grind as new content and best part is only subscribers get to grind for some end gear items after 180 levels or something.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Deus Ex : Mankind Divided, Watch_Dogs 2, Tyranny, Dark Souls 3, Dungeon Rats

I'm probably missing some other great games, but you get the picture. 2017, so far, is shaping up to be even better than '16 tbh. Right away we already have a GotY candidate coming out in March (Ghost Recon Wildlands), not to mention the many many early access and closed beta games that might come out, provided they don't turn out to be vaporware scams. It's a good time to be a gamer. :salute:

Abhay

Augur
How can any body miss "Mafia III" from their list of Best games of 2016?
A highly underrated but a fantastic open world to come out after so many years. Superb story, beautifully rendered city, incredibly rich in historical details, oozing in atmosphere with an awesome soundtrack. How can anyone not love this gem of 2016?
Surely, I did enjoy it. Deserves to be included in the Best of 2016.
Another great addition would be Watch Dogs 2, totally underrated by the haters who just can't enjoy anything no matter how much developers try.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Another great addition would be Watch Dogs 2, totally underrated by the haters who just can't enjoy anything no matter how much developers try.
d8ltn4tu3ckx.jpg

Abhay

Augur

Probably because of this:
-snip-

First impression matters.
Oh.hoho..so .. by that logic several old classics are automatically terrible, or not worth playing, right?
Please, make sense. If you have nothing worth to say, then don't bother to respond.
Thanks.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Probably because of this:
-snip-

First impression matters.
Oh.hoho..so .. by that logic several old classics are automatically terrible, or not worth playing, right?
Please, make sense. If you have nothing worth to say, then don't bother to respond.
Thanks.

Ok. Second try. The game is shit.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I haven't played any (good) RPGs released in 2016, so I won't comment on those.

In terms of best game of 2016, the runner-ups are Inside and Stardew Valley, but the GOTY is clearly, without a doubt...

Day-of-the-Tentacle-Remastered-Walkthrough.jpg

A horse of course

DOOM was gud

Total War: Warhammer was gud

Rise of the Tomb Raider 20th Anniversary Edition was gud

Witcher 3 Gnome of the Year was gud

Don't think I played anything else notable from 2016

10/10 GOTYAY: Witcher 3 Gnome of the Year

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Dishonored 2 and Dark Souls 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom