Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Do you actually pay any attention to RPG reviews from various prestigious magazines?

Do reviews from places like Codex, RPGWatch, Eurogamer etc. affect your purchasing habits?

• Yes

Votes: 13 10.6%
  • No

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • sometimes

Votes: 47 38.2%
  • kys

Votes: 10 8.1%

• Total voters

hivemind

So like in an era where you can pirate and try almost anything before buying and where most games have several hundred steam user reviews readily at hand, are more (((prestigious))) reviews still a relevant thing for the various gaming magazines to publish or are they a relic of the past?

discuss

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
No I don't trust big reviewers. I go by user ratings or I watch gameplay on YouTube and determine the games caliber myself.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The codex often brings games to light which I wouldn't have otherwise purchased (and thus not enjoyed). So yes, it does sometimes affect my decision to buy games.

bminorkey

I never read reviews but I look at the average score. If it's below 7.5/10 I might think twice before buying it

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Absolutely yes. Steam reviews are becoming less of a cesspit, it seems; but they are still a cesspit. Pro reviews are highly #informative even if I don't take them as the Word of God. I don't pirate games any more, and even if I did, what a fucking hassle compared to just looking it up. Why would I download something I wasn't reasonably certain I'd enjoy? I don't have time for everything in my existing backlog, much less some random game I have no reason to check out. Video reviews are crap because they take 1000x as long as skimming a written review. I might peek at Youtube for 10 seconds to see what the gameplay actually looks like and that is it.

Last edited:

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Stopped reading the 'big' review sites. Mostly do read the codex and rpgwatch articles, but i try to limit the reading of game related forum posts here while i play the game since they overwhelmingly tend to be negative. After i have finished the game, thats another story.
Codex did bring to spotlight a lot of less known rpgs for me that went under my radar.
I do mostly only play RPGs and strategy games (Fallout and Baldurs Gate were my first rpgs back in the day)

As much as I hate that videos made by overreactive man-children have replaced actual content, Youtube really is the best way to determine quality of a game.

SniperHF

Arcane
Usually I'll read a Codex review after I've already played the game and avoid them before playing.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The best review is playing the game before buying the game.

I made the mistake of buying PES 2014 once. Never again.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I don't go to a single other "game" site than here. I'll sometimes click through a link to RPGWatch to give them a view if I'm feeling generous.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I never read full reviews for games that I actually want to play, a general consensus/personal interest is enough.

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter
I only read manuals to understand mechanics, if it's good and deep enough. Sometimes walkthrough.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I have been buying game mags since 1994, when I got my first PC in 1997 I used that information to buy bunch of games. Pretty much every single game I bought based on recommendations till year 2000 were spot on. After 2000 the reviews became a mixed bag and often very positive over shit AAA games. I stopped taking reviews seriously after everyone praised Unreal 2.

There were three sites which recommendations I took into consideration.

I bought Dragon Age Origin day 1 when I read preview on GameBanshee saying the game is a true successor of Baldurs Gate 2. I stopped reading the site after that.

RPS was pretty good at start with Kieron Gillen leading the bunch but him leaving and rampart SJW agenda also made me stop visiting that site.

RPGCodex, always liked the reviews despite not always agreeing with them. Few times bought games directly due reviews from here like M&M X.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom