Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Vanilla WoW emulation

Wulfstand

Prophet
That sucks. However:

zeitgeist

Magister
Oh whoops never mind they didn't fix it, they made the anticheat just ban anyone moving somewhere too fast, people using flightpaths or people falling off boats/getting pushed off boats by mindcontrol are getting instantly suspended. I guess waiting for fresh is a good idea at this point.

At this point I don't even think they're using nost's anticheat or core at all.

There's something really weird happening here, there are bugs that never existed before, and they're of the type that I can't see being unintentionally introduced when fixing/adding something else. From various consumables, to half of AV not working, the pet/summon names, the "anticheat" that gets the Ban Appeals subforum outright spammed due to false positives (although this already used to happen way too often with Mind Control on Nost).

Why would they be using anything but a 1:1 server software/database copy at this point though?

Why would they be using anything but a 1:1 server software/database copy at this point though?
the "anticheat" that gets the Ban Appeals subforum outright spammed due to false positives (although this already used to happen way too often with Mind Control on Nost).
This one bothers me incredibly well, if the issue was already happening on nost core, why would it suddenly only start to massively pop up 5 days into the elysium nostalrius being up? The only viable explanation for this is either that they're still configuring nost core into their setting (barely possible) or that they're not even using nostalrius core (highly plausible). Fresh server will probably be on full Elysium too so that's a no-no.

Also all of my accounts that were banned for legit and obvious hacking have been unbanned yesterday while people who play legit and have actually made ban appeals haven't been given a shine of attention.

thems the Valkyrie team alright
:shittydog:

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
... or that they're not even using nostalrius core (highly plausible).

FJu0rDg.png

HgWIWJA.png

child-looking-suspicious-by-house-fire.jpg

I'm not certain what he means by "worked upon quite a bit" considering that Elysium has bugs, missing features and scripting issues that were never existent upon the literal first public release of nostralius, so I have to wonder if they were given like some pre-alpha build of nostralius core or if their work consists of sledgehammers and wrecking balls.

Maybe I'm just being too cynical and judgemental.

zeitgeist

Magister
I'm not certain what he means by "worked upon quite a bit" considering that Elysium has bugs, missing features and scripting issues that were never existent upon the literal first public release of nostralius, so I have to wonder if they were given like some pre-alpha build of nostralius core or if their work consists of sledgehammers and wrecking balls.

Maybe I'm just being too cynical and judgemental.

Now people are even complaining about the pet pathing being completely different (such as falling from lifts). I can't say that I ever noticed them not falling off, but apparently it changed.

I don't understand how you could break all these unrelated things by just "working upon" it, so obviously they're not giving us the whole story.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Whatever the case might be, I'll be rolling a pally on the fresh server.

Mustawd , hivemind , let's send the orcish rapefugees and the godless forsaken back to where they belong!

J1M

Arcane
I'll roll a dwarf priest for you guys when this thing gets rolling.

A week in and the database has already been breached, accounts which have been used to transfer gold to goldtraders and chat spammed advertisements have been permanently banned with no ability to appeal
t37yV.png

what a time to be alive

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
What a time when gold sellers can hold your entire server hostage. If you ban VPNs you risk getting DDoSed.

zeitgeist

Magister
What a time when gold sellers can hold your entire server hostage. If you ban VPNs you risk getting DDoSed.

I'm not really an expert on the matter, how does DDoSing even work nowadays? Don't most hosts have a DDoS protection of some kind?

Also, they claim that not one, but two server databases from completely unrelated servers that they won't disclose got leaked. Seriously?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

I'm not really an expert on the matter, how does DDoSing even work nowadays? Don't most hosts have a DDoS protection of some kind?
Theoretically, but it apparently never works. Elysium got hit not long after launch proper from multiple sources or something, but it got resolved.

Naraya

Arcane
Well - I don't think full DDoS protection is even possible, only mitigation. Also, DDoS is often a convenient excuse for 'we fucked up' situation.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
how does DDoSing even work nowadays
Just like it always worked: You bombard the server with as much requests per unit of time as possible to clog up the tubes for legitimate requests. Thanks to IoT (Internet of Tards) Devices the bandwidth available for potential attackers has leaped by several orders of magnitudes in the past couple years, so that they are now able to challenge T1 carriers. There is no protection against such an attack, outside of disconnecting entire sections of the internet.

J1M

Arcane
AWS (Amazon Web Services) recommendation to fight DDOS attacks: design your system to scale and have a really high credit limit on your account.

The Japanese MMO industry has gotten some good results against DDoSing by screwing around with authenticated logins, where the game servers outright don't even receive any connections outside ones that have been authenticated (aka you login and your ip gets onto the whitelist for a bit)

I mean you can theoretically make 50000 accounts and just login all them at once to get some kind of power, but it does cleave the usual kiddy tactics in half. Although I can't blame a private server as they don't really have much power to do something similar unless they modify the client themselves, and that's a no-no because the autistic "blizzlike" spewing community.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Playing on Elysium PVE, as a Tauren warrior. Good to hear solo warrior leveling is a nightmare, because my brother is a healer shaman.

My character name is Doyoevenlift

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
I can't blame a private server as they don't really have much power to do something similar unless they modify the client themselves, and that's a no-no because the autistic "blizzlike" spewing community.

It doesn't affect the gameplay in any way though. I mean, Nostalrius core is already modified to include dynamic spawns and the population of 10k+ characters on a single server is anything but Blizzlike.

Last edited:

Mustawd

So are we gonna roll chars or is it still too congested/buggy to play?

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played on elysium two days ago and I had zero issues, except for a single disconnect.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom