Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls VI Speculation

Drax

Arcane
That'd be weird since normally they alternate between TES and Fallout/other project.

agris

Arcane
Patron

How does he keep getting away with it?

t29hw.jpg

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
First-Era dwemerish astral spaceships FTW.
Game set in the Void, in late First Era, during famous conquest of space undertaken by Reman Cyrodiil - the most badass character in the entire franchise, born of the divine hierogamy between Heaven and Earth, the Worldly God of conquest, ambition and all neat stuff - where you would play as a mananaut, ride cyclopean mothships, fight with Alinori sunbirds, reach Aedric planets and literally walk upon corpses of the dead-sleeping gods, discover lost colonies founded by empress Hestra the Red in earlier ages, deal with unnamed spirits of pure, unclaimed Oblivion - now that would be great and would easily top Morrowind and Battlespire in terms of pure fucking awesome.

They will never do that however.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
1E game and current Bethesda is just a disaster waiting to happen. I'd much rather they jumped ship completely and went to Akavir or something.

Or get Kirkbride back for a game set in 9E to make people's head explode with a TES space opera.
https://www.imperial-library.info/content/kinmune

But then the Hist-Jilian wars spilled out of a Wheelian rip into the SubSys slice of 'brane-space, and things changed for Kinmune. With the outer colonies separated from Nu-Mundelbright chronoculic sync-net anchors, maintenance of space-time beyond the F-Shores faltered. As the barely-there Hist blink-root-ship armada fired an artillery barrage of 16th-dimensional mathematics at their Jilian enemies, impossipoint detonations stippled across the Ix-Egg and its clutch-satellites like some garish TalOSian hologram, only without the irony. Kinmune's synthetic body, caught in one of the blasts, suddenly found itself in the Ysgramorim, her mind an aggregate of the residual personalities of her last several users.

:shredder:

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
I would literally not survive that.

Let them make their stupid Skyshit sequels. Never dare they touch good parts of the setting, they will ruin them (Cyrodiil was butchered in Obliblian, and in lore Cyrodiil >>> Morrowind).

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
There's no way you could do the Jungle with the hardware of 2006.

Also, people who assume they outright changed the lore are idiots who don't understand the mindfuck that is The Elder Scrolls. Both forms of Cyrodiil exist, maybe, depends on whom you believe in the lore.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, obviously lore was created to justify dejunglisation of Cyrod, and a lot of it is indeed really interesting (Many-Headed Talos from Krikbride, Previous Worldskins from ESO and so on). But that's the least of many fucking problems, you stupid decline-enabler.

Where are thousand temples of Imperial City? Where are sects, cults and religions we never heard about? Where is Cult of Emperor Zero, Cult of Morihaus, where are Remanites, Maruhkati and others? Where are feuding kings, dukes and princes of Colovia? Where are magocracies of Nibenay? Where is political tension and turmoil? Where is famous Cyrodiilic mysticism, old women clad in dozens layers of holy silk, sacred warriors naked save only for holy paintings, fighting to appease conquering gods, Reman and Morihaus? Where are many cultures of Cyrod, united under imperial banner? Where is civilizational divide between East and West, between High Imperial culture and Low Imperial one? Where are minotaur tribes descendent from Saint Alessia and Morihaus-Breath-of-Kyne? Where are Akaviri and Ayleidi theaters, Cyrodiilic arenas and holy groves? Where are ancient remnants of the Reman empire, Hestran empire, Alessian empire, where are statues of the great emperors Gorieus and Reman II the Conqueror? Where are majestic megalomoths and old battlespires hovering over the landscape?

What the fuck happened to Cyrodiil?

We are left with this… thing, this abomination of a Disneyland we were given in Oblivion.

Jungle is the least of our damn problems, mate.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, obviously lore was created to justify dejunglisation of Cyrod, and a lot of it is indeed really interesting (Many-Headed Talos from Krikbride, Previous Worldskins from ESO and so on). But that's the least of many fucking problems, you stupid decline-enabler.

Where are thousand temples of Imperial City? Where are sects, cults and religions we never heard about? Where is Cult of Emperor Zero, Cult of Morihaus, where are Remanites, Maruhkati and others? Where are feuding kings, dukes and princes of Colovia? Where are magocracies of Nibenay? Where is political tension and turmoil? Where is famous Cyrodiilic mysticism, old women clad in dozens layers of holy silk, sacred warriors naked save only for holy paintings, fighting to appease conquering gods, Reman and Morihaus? Where are many cultures of Cyrod, united under imperial banner? Where is civilizational divide between East and West, between High Imperial culture and Low Imperial one? Where are minotaur tribes descendent from Saint Alessia and Morihaus-Breath-of-Kyne? Where are Akaviri and Ayleidi theaters, Cyrodiilic arenas and holy groves? Where are ancient remnants of the Reman empire, Hestran empire, Alessian empire, where are statues of the great emperors Gorieus and Reman II the Conqueror? Where are majestic megalomoths and old battlespires hovering over the landscape?

What the fuck happened to Cyrodiil?

We are left with this… thing, this abomination of a Disneyland we were given in Oblivion.

Jungle is the least of our damn problems, mate.
reading this made me sad :(

we could have got something ultra awesome

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
reading this made me sad :(

we could have got something ultra awesome
Yep. And that's the worst thing about Oblivion. Not that it's simply a bad game (it is), it's that it could have been ten times better than Morrowind, it really could have. Cyrodiil trumps Morrowind in every way as a setting, if done right. They had perfect opportunity in their hands and they butchered it. They made what could have been the best into... well, into Oblivion. There is no coming back from this. It could have been Planescape: Torment, in terms of setting and themes, once again. It wasn't.

Anyone who is defending Bethesda with BUT JUNGLES WERE A TRANSLATION ERROR or BUT TALOS CHIMED THEM INTO NOTHING, MUH LORE is a retard.

Oh. And just by the way.

There's no way you could do the Jungle with the hardware of 2006.
Have you ever heard of the game called Far Cry, game from 2004? Check it out.

Then call out your bullshit yourself and save us the trouble.

Last edited:

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Have you ever heard of the game called Far Cry, game from 2004? Check it out.

Then call out your bullshit yourself and save us the trouble.

Well, yeah, if Oblivion was to be set on a tropical island and it was to be a pure first person shooter you'd have a point. Early Cyrodiil may have been feasible, and I only say may as no one has attempted it but I can estimate that it would fall apart from the sheer amount of work required and you'd end up with an unfinished, barely polished setting that still fails to live up to the original descriptions. So it becomes no wonder that the smart option is to scale down and redesign to work with what you have in terms of technical limitations, team size and time itself.

Of course, if you'd like to prove me wrong and show that it is still feasible to create such a colossal world, then nothing is stopping you from making it yourself. Hell, I'd play it.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
whoever said jungle cyrod isnt feasible for 2006 hardware is bullshit.

the only reason is to make it more "generic medieval britain fantasy" to make it more accessible to the retards.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Of course, if you'd like to prove me wrong and show that it is still feasible to create such a colossal world, then nothing is stopping you from making it yourself. Hell, I'd play it.
You must be kidding me with that statement. That's literally the worst kind of fucking argument that can appear in such discussion, it's extremely immature and childish, not to mention stupid, and basically disables any possibility of debate. Do it better. Someone made shit, but I dare you to do better than them - or don't criticize if you can not. It’s retarded approach.

But, still, go and check Province: Cyrodiil for Morrowind. These guys will make Cyrod great again. In some decades, but they fucking will. They feel the setting, they are obviously in love with it, they want to bring it in all of its glory, and will soon release first version of fucking proper Gold Coast for us.

Well, yeah, if Oblivion was to be set on a tropical island and it was to be a pure first person shooter you'd have a point.
I have a point despite Oblivion being a sandbox/cRPG hybrid game. Thing is, such an environment was achievable in 2004, it could have been achieved in 2006. Far Cry is not only example. There are war games set in Vietnam, plenty of them predate Oblivion. Making Cyrodiil proper would be hard and I don’t deny that. But if you condemn effort itself that would be necessary to portray Cyrod in its glory (and not even whole Cyrodiil was jungle, Colovia certainly was not, same with Hearthlands, Skingrad, Gold Coast and so on), then I pity you.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom