Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
I have intentionally restrained myself from playing this until it is finished and released, all of my info about it is from this forum.

Underrail and this are my two most anticipated games for 2017 :bounce::bounce:

Here's to hoping for a January release :bounce:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I tried Underrail. Not impressed. To be fair I only gave it 20 minutes, but the problem is that it was 10 minutes of reading shit and then 10 minutes of time sink, go to this room and talk to Bob, then go to this room and talk to Fred, then come to this other room and talk to me again. And then maybe after all this running around you can finally get to shoot something. I never did get that far. If a game resorts to time sinks in the first 10 minutes it isn't worth my time.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is it worthwhile to hire high-end recruits? Do they just offer a head start over cheaper ones (like the better equipment)? Or will they just be straight up better at max level?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I tried Underrail. Not impressed. To be fair I only gave it 20 minutes, but the problem is that it was 10 minutes of reading shit and then 10 minutes of time sink, go to this room and talk to Bob, then go to this room and talk to Fred, then come to this other room and talk to me again. And then maybe after all this running around you can finally get to shoot something. I never did get that far. If a game resorts to time sinks in the first 10 minutes it isn't worth my time.

Objectively correct, for the most part. Underrail was over-rated rubbish, it deserve to be ranked alongside other scrub-tier titles like torment and the shittier Spiderweb games.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah. I kinda envy the people who can play stuff like that, because if I had lower standards, I would have 10000 extra games to play this year. But even being tactical and turn based isn't enough to make up for that kind of thing.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Yeah. I kinda envy the people who can play stuff like that, because if I had lower standards, I would have 10000 extra games to play this year. But even being tactical and turn based isn't enough to make up for that kind of thing.

You wouldn't know; you didn't play it. The story was pretty much shit but the combat is very good and the encounter design is solid. Considering the dearth of good TB combat on a grid, it was some of the best in years. Your brain may be atrophied by the expectation of 30 seconds to climax.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah but I played Aarklash Legacy, DoS, Blackguards, etc. which can all do good tactical combat without resorting to time wasting.
Underrail then is not your cup of tea. I preferred the pacing of it to DoS.
And I considered Aarklash way inferior to single player campaign of Dawn of War 2 + expansion.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I rage quit DoS too because of the same reasons. It starts in a huge town with a billion NPC's and I was expected to talk to all of them and gather all their crappy quests and read all their terrible dialogue. It took me about 3 months to find the motivation load the game up again and do all those horrible chores. I completed the game eventually but that starting town nearly kept me away forever.

I will probably do the same thing with Underrail too, but I just need to exhaust all other games first. RPG standards are low.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I rage quit DoS too because of the same reasons. It starts in a huge town with a billion NPC's and I was expected to talk to all of them and gather all their crappy quests and read all their terrible dialogue. It took me about 3 months to find the motivation load the game up again and do all those horrible chores. I completed the game eventually but that starting town nearly kept me away forever.

I will probably do the same thing with Underrail too, but I just need to exhaust all other games first. RPG standards are low.
k. So you have tactical wargame preference.
Consult this thread http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/squad-level-tactical-games.7389/ and report back.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Good list. I've played around half of all those. But there is a lot of junk on there. Also a lot of it suffers the same things I don't like, forcing weak story/dialogue down your throat, and lots of unnecessary walking. Also a lot of them are quite shallow. I can't complain too much about 80s/90s stuff, I used to love Space Hulk / Space Crusade as a kid, but nowadays stuff like that doesn't even come close to holding up. Also it doesn't help that they are all so niche they all have tiny budgets. I think that is what is so special about DoS, it has tactical party combat, yet it looks pretty and is slick, and a decent length, etc. There need to be some more big games like that and maybe tactical games could live on with a decent budget. DoS2 and Wasteland 3 could bring the whole strategy gaming thing to life if they sell well.

I think crappy games like Numenera and Pillars of Eternity harm the cause though.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Good list. I've played around half of all those. But there is a lot of junk on there. Also a lot of it suffers the same things I don't like, forcing weak story/dialogue down your throat, and lots of unnecessary walking. Also a lot of them are quite shallow. I can't complain too much about 80s/90s stuff, I used to love Space Hulk / Space Crusade as a kid, but nowadays stuff like that doesn't even come close to holding up. Also it doesn't help that they are all so niche they all have tiny budgets. I think that is what is so special about DoS, it has tactical party combat, yet it looks pretty and is slick, and a decent length, etc. There need to be some more big games like that and maybe tactical games could live on with a decent budget.
For there to be brilliant tactical games; there must be lesser shallow tactical games.
Do you have any idea how glad I am that there are now new tactical combat games that I can dismiss with a glance? Compared to say 5 years ago?

Besides I still think that that Underrail would make a good base for tactical combat game with 6-8 member squad: if only they could add crouching mechanics and bigger maps.

edit
Besides you said you liked other games as young one. That's natural.
And young 'uns have to start from somewhere.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom