Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Right you are." Marcán pushes Cormac with the heel of his boot to wake him up. "Let's go now, the sooner we face the horror the sooner we can go to bed."

"Gah! What is it? You want to look at that thing at this time of day? I hope we don't have any trouble." Cormac rubs his eyes, then puts his flask away.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"Describe the hilltop as best you can as we walk, Mage. Maybe we can determine the best approach."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Resolved to trudge up the mountain and gain the summit before the weird fog abates and the portal possibly closes, the troupe decamps ...

(How do you all wish to proceed? For instance: Take or leave the horses? Move with or without a light? Who leads the way, who takes up the rear? Etc.)

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"I think we should proceed with caution, but I don't think crawling the whole way will be necessary. I can scout the way, but are any of you with arcane knowledge stealthy enough to join me?"

I don't know about the horses. Someone(s) would need to stay with them and we may need everyone for the creeping doom we're walking into. But on that same note, I don't like taking the horses into said creeping doom. Thoughts?
Not much activity lately so tagging in case of notifications going all :M
Siveon Helly Llywelyn ap Gruffydd ERYFKRAD L'ennui

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
"I wasn't speaking of literal crawling. I can sneak up there and I have a good amount of arcane knowledge."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Someone else can mind the horses this time, it'd be hell having to chase them if when they run.

Let's just tether them here, or wherever they'd find grass to eat(if that's what horses do), I got the spikes for it.
In which case I'll tag right behind Grimgravy and Wayward Son.
Tanks in front and all that.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Who has the best sneaking skills among us? Ker is 66 move 66 hide.
"I could come too, if you need me, but as the firebearer I do not mind being our main group's light and vanguard."

nikolokolus

Arcane
It doesn't take any specialized knowledge to know that the horses aren't likely to roam far as long as they have fodder and water. There is a stream nearby and plenty of sedges, low scrub and grasses in the valley bottom. These highland ponies have long shaggy fur and seem unfazed by the chilly night air.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Maybe we can stake out the horses closer the the other hill, so we don't need to cross the whole valley to retrieve them."

L'ennui

Magister
Sorry for the inactivity, pretty hectic here over the holidays.

Urash has 45 Move Quietly and 25 Hide.

"I can take up the rear."
says Urash, shivering from the cold.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Sorry for the inactivity, pretty hectic here over the holidays.

Urash has 45 Move Quietly and 25 Hide.

"I can take up the rear."
says Urash, shivering from the cold.
no problem. It's been predictably crazy at my end too.

Siveon

Bot
"I'll stay close to the self-proclaimed 'firebearer', so he doesn't get killed."

Siveon

Bot
Ah, right. 25 move and 25 hide.

"Yes, I seem to recall you fancied one such druidess. Sadly the path of the firebearer is a lonely one, so it was up to me to comfort her." Marcán laughs. "All joking aside I will actually stick to the back. I know the music arts, but I am not very light on my feet."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Sorry for my extreme absence. This last week has been nuts.

So my interpretation so far is that you are going to set up some kind of picket for the horses across the river at the base of the large hill you intend to climb. Rhenmyr is going to scout ahead once you get closer to the top with Mab and Borric close behind him and then everybody else bringing up the rear. So how far apart is the second group of people going to be from the lead group and how much space between Rhenmyr and Mab & Borric?

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Wayward Son may have wanted to swap with Helly given Mab's move quietly. Rhenmyr, Borric, and Mab/Ker in the scout group spread 10ft apart. The main group maybe 2 rounds back. What do you guys think?

nikolokolus

Arcane
fssJi16.jpg

Perhaps cautious men made of less stern stuff would have wrapped themselves tightly in their blankets and huddled around the meager fire and gone to sleep. Instead, in the dark of night, under the wan light of a quarter-full moon you cross the rushing stream, swollen with icy melt water and dismount at the foot of the steep-sided rocky hill. Some low gnarly bushes provide an adequate spot to string a rope and picket the horses. You tether them by their bridle and hope for the best before carefully picking your way over tumbled, moss-covered boulders strewn around the sloped ground below the mountain. It takes about twenty minutes to pick your way in the dark to a spot where you saw a goat-trail ascending the side of the hill before sunset. Rhemyr's familiarity with pathfinding proves invaluable and the troupe falls in behind him, trying to ascend as quickly and quietly as you can.

After an hour of steady hiking and occasionally walking on all fours you notice that the trail you've been following diminishes to nothing. The hill has steepened considerably yielding to a field of exposed granite. The fog at the top of the tor has thickened and blankets the ground above you, reducing visibility to no more than about a dozen yards ahead.

As you huddle in the cold of the damp, still night air, There is an unmistakable sound that fills your ears; a distant sound audible to everyone that sounds something like the tinkling of tiny bells and faint laughter from the summit which is perhaps a couple of hundred yards overhead.

The way forward will require very careful climbing in the dark and the fog over the dew-slicked rocks.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom