Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Quest Thread

Walden

Savant
Try Dragon Warrior Monsters if you want something more in depth. The main series never reaches any heights and is always extremely simple, even when they have character classes.
Thanks, I'll give it a try. Maybe I'll also attempt to play an other main game, but they're too grindy and simple so far.

---

Arcane
This game better be nothing short of great. Need a high budget, traditional JRPG like air to breathe.
Agree. Fortunately, this looks already good. It seems that Toriyama is still able to deliver good characters too.
The only thing that I dislike is the UI.
Unfortunately, I doubt that we will see it in western countries before 2018 :negative:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More at the link: http://gematsu.com/2016/12/dragon-quest-xi-details-protagonist-camus-world

Square Enix has released new Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time details and screenshots introducing the game’s protagonist, his reliable partner Camus, its world setting of Lotozetasia, and the Great Tree of Life and Ishi Village that exist within it.

■ About

Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time is the long-awaited latest entry in the Dragon Quest series. It will be released on multiple platforms, PlayStation 4 and 3DS. Whether you play the PlayStation 4 version, which depicts a beautiful world as far as the eye can see, or the 3DS version, with its warm graphics, the story you will experience does not change. Pick it up and play it on the platform of your choice.

PlayStation 4 Version

On PlayStation 4, flowers, every tree, flowing waterfalls, and monsters are vividly expressed in vast and beautiful fields. The lifestyles of people in the towns are also depicted at their highest.
Dragon-Quest-XI_2016_12-26-16_001.jpg

Dragon-Quest-XI_2016_12-26-16_002.jpg

3DS Version

On 3DS, you’ll see “3D Mode” on the top screen and “2D mode” on the bottom screen simultaneously at the start of your adventure. As you progress, you’ll be able to choose the appearance you’d like to continue playing with. By going to a specific place, you’ll be able to switch between 3D and 2D modes.
Dragon-Quest-XI_2016_12-26-16_003.jpg

Dragon-Quest-XI_2016_12-26-16_004.jpg

■ 30 Years of Dragon Quest

Dragon Quest has evolved with history for over 30 years since it was created. While feeling this progress, players will be able to enjoy both the “latest Dragon Quest” and the “nostalgic Dragon Quest” with this latest entry. You’ll surely get a taste of your favorite Dragon Quest.

Familiar monsters are fully depicted on PlayStation 4.
Dragon-Quest-XI_2016_12-26-16_005.jpg

The lively monsters attack the protagonist and Camus in this 3DS screenshot.
Dragon-Quest-XI_2016_12-26-16_006.jpg

Players can also enjoy battles in the 3DS version depicted in classic pixel style.
Dragon-Quest-XI_2016_12-26-16_007.jpg

■ Characters

Protagonist (You)

A young man who lives in the calm village of Ishi. The protagonist, who began a coming-of-age ceremony when he turned 16, learns an astonishing truth. He is the reincarnation of the “hero” that once saved the world, someone who carries the burden of a major mission…

The hero is something. The hero’s mission is something. In order to confirm his fate with his own eyes, the protagonist leaves his homeotown and steps forward to the vast world.

—The protagonist. He watches over the people of the warm Ishi Village, where you grew up soundly. On the day he turns 16, the curtain raises on the story of Dragon Quest XI.

Dragon-Quest-XI_2016_12-26-16_008.jpg

Dragon-Quest-XI_2016_12-26-16_009.jpg

Emma, a close childhood friend of the protagonist, who was born on the same day as him. When they both turned 16, they did their coming-of-age ceremony together.
Dragon-Quest-XI_2016_12-26-16_010.jpg

Dragon-Quest-XI_2016_12-26-16_011.jpg

Max Stats

Liturgist
I think I'm overthinking DQ Builders. The weirdo with a beardo said my (first) town was going to be invaded and made it sound like armageddon was coming, so I dug a big moat around the town as well as put up a big wall. the invaders turned out to be 4 skeletons that couldn't even find the front side of the town...

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DQ11-Program_12-29-16_001-600x338.jpg

Camping

Players will be able to camp. This image shows a “Camp Menu” where players can rest (heals HP and MP), do “mysterious smithing,” pray to the statue of the goddess, and patrol the area.

DQ11-Program_12-29-16_002-600x338.jpg

Mysterious Smithing (Fushigi na Kaji)

Another screen asks the player, “What do you want to create?” It offers the following options:

• Copper Sword (Seidou no Tsurugi)
  • Iron Sword (Tetsu no Tsurugi)
  • Silver Rapier (Zan no Rapier)
  • Zombie Killer
  • Platinum Sword
  • Zombie Buster
  • Magic Swordsman Rapier (Makenshi no Rapier)
  • Fire Sword (Honoo no Tsurugi)
  • Metal Slime Sword (Metasura no Tsurugi)
  • Miracle Sword Modified (Kiseki no Tsurugi Kai)
  • Hayabusa Sword Modified (Hayabusa no Tsurugi Kai)
  • Inferno Sword
Each item in the smithing menu has a list of required items to create that item, a description, and difficulty level.

DQ11-Program_12-29-16_003-600x337.jpg

DQ11-Program_12-29-16_004-600x338.jpg
wcp1GvV.gif

You can ride a dragon

awICbiQ.gif

Field and Battle

Here is a GIF of the protagonist running around the field before a brief first look at the battle system.

Hyperion

Arcane
Hayabusa Sword Modified

Oh boy, we've got visible graphics for Katanas now. it will be GRORIOUS. I *really* hope they adjust the difficulty of the game to coincide with appears to be frequent save points in the campsites. Infrequent saving has always been a boon of Dragon Warrior's dungeon crawling facet.

Looks like fights will be seamlessly transitioned on the world map as well? Wonder if that means EVERYTHING on the screen will potentially become hostile for some big ass battles.

jungl

Augur
The 3d design open world is the best thing that happened to this franchise. The english localisation helped also. Sadly all the traditional rpg stuff about the franchise is what sucks about it. 4 japanese kidz turn based battle system (spank and tank), same story every game for most part, same item list every game.

Hyperion

Arcane
The nigh identical gear list is annoying, I'll give you that. If they have an extensive smithing system though (RIP Alchemy Pot...) not adding deviations from generic recipes will be a huge miss on their part. It also suffers from the same potential problems of every other crafting system to curse RPG's in the past decade. This isn't an MMO, don't inundate us with busywork. Let me kill big, challenging monsters or delve into dungeons to get my sweet gear.

There is nothing wrong with having a traditional, turn-based RPG when properly executed. Too many Japanese games are mired by weeb shit that are an instant turn off for a lot of us. Not every game created has to be a special snowflake, hipster creation for the sake of originality. Look at what's happened to Final Fantasy in recent years. I even put my playthrough on the backburner because the devs outright said the game wasn't finished and they need to add shit. A choice between a safe and traditional, but complete game over an ambitious, but amorphous blob isn't much of a choice in my book.

Now, gimme Suikoden 6 while we're talking traditional.

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I know I'm a little kid but I like riding a dragon. That said I like it even more when getting a dragon is one of the final achievements which allows you to travel the last part of the world and to travel everywhere at will, not sure it's the case here.

There is nothing wrong with having a traditional, turn-based RPG when properly executed. Too many Japanese games are mired by weeb shit that are an instant turn off for a lot of us. Not every game created has to be a special snowflake, hipster creation for the sake of originality. Look at what's happened to Final Fantasy in recent years. I even put my playthrough on the backburner because the devs outright said the game wasn't finished and they need to add shit. A choice between a safe and traditional, but complete game over an ambitious, but amorphous blob isn't much of a choice in my book.
:brodex: So much this.

The Decline

Arcane
I think I'm overthinking DQ Builders. The weirdo with a beardo said my (first) town was going to be invaded and made it sound like armageddon was coming, so I dug a big moat around the town as well as put up a big wall. the invaders turned out to be 4 skeletons that couldn't even find the front side of the town...

The invasions never really get that bad. Though some of the monsters can fuck up your town if you're not careful.

Max Stats

Liturgist
The invasions never really get that bad. Though some of the monsters can fuck up your town if you're not careful.
Yeah, I've found that out. My "moat" (not really a moat, more like a ditch because there's not a good way to get water in it other than dig way down and tunnel over to a puddle, and even then it's just on the bottom, not filling up) seems to have done more harm than help. Filling it with spikes and making the city walls turn to bricks mostly fixed that, though.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
■ Story

As the reincarnation of the legendary “Hero,” the protagonist sets off on a journey through a vast world.
Dragon-Quest-XI_03-06-17_001.jpg

The protagonist, who grew up in the calm village of Ishi, turned 16 years old and took part in a coming-of-age ceremony as a village custom. As the reincarnation of the “Hero” that once saved the world, he understands that he is burdened with a great mission. To learn about the Hero and the Hero’s mission, he sets off on a journey from his hometown.

The destination—the continent’s biggest country, “Delcadar.” Specifically, the king.

—PlayStation 4
Dragon-Quest-XI_03-06-17_002.jpg

—3DS

Dragon-Quest-XI_03-06-17_003.jpg

—PlayStation 4
Dragon-Quest-XI_03-06-17_004.jpg

—3DS
Dragon-Quest-XI_03-06-17_005.jpg

Based on his mother’s words that all will be revealed should he go to Delcadar, the protagonist in due course heads for the king. The protagonist informs the king of Delcadar that he is the “hero,” and the king began to tell him what the “hero” means—

More at the link: http://gematsu.com/2017/03/dragon-quest-xi-details-story-new-screenshots (worth a look if you're interested in the game)

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Separate update, so it gets its own post.

Dragon Quest XI introduces new character Sylvia, two new monsters, camp system
Camp to rest and restore, save, and even shop.
The latest issue of Weekly Jump reveals another new character set to appear in Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time, as well as two new monsters, and some details about the camp system.

■ New Character

Sylvia

“It is my mission to make the people of the world smile!”

A character who seems to be a traveler, but his tone is…

■ New Monsters

Mokokkii

A monster that carries a huge needle that can fill anything with holes!

Lantern Kozou

A lantern that was thrown away and became a monster in its resentment against humans.

Caption next to 3DS screenshot of the protagonist, Camus, and the Lantern Kozou behind them: “Some monsters, including Lanter Kozou, only appear at night.”

■ Loads of New Systems

Caption below 3DS screenshot of the protagonist talking to a character wearing yellow: “People with a purple speech bubble mark may have some sort of request.”

Caption below the PlayStation 4 screenshot of the protagonist talking to a character wearing red: “As you approach people, you can hear their voices through the speech bubbles that appear over their head.”

Caption below PlayStation 4 screenshot of the protagonist riding a horse / to the right of 3DS screenshot of the protagonist riding a horse: “Adventure with ease while riding a horse! In the PlayStation 4 version, you can blow away monsters by hitting them with the horse’s body.”

Camp System (Red Box)

On the field, you can make a bonfire. This should prove useful when you have a long way to travel!

Caption to the right of PS4 screenshot: “In addition to resting and healing, and writing in the adventure log (Editor’s Note: this is how you save your game in Dragon Quest), you can also enjoy conversations with your party.”

Caption to the left of 3DS screenshot: “At camp, you can buy items at the shops opened by traveling merchants.”

Don't know why he has a girl's name.

Hyperion

Arcane
Possibly because he looks like some weird love child between Angelo and Morrie from 8. Graphics are crisp as fuck, though.

Names are loaded with references to other character. Village of Ishi, like Ishimaru from 8 as well. Makes me think a second world, or something related to Time will play a part in the story.

jungl

Augur
"and the king began to tell him what the “hero” means"

Go grind these goofy smiling cats and monsters with stupid grins on their faces while my kingdoms guards and I fucks maidens and drink from goblets.

shram

Arcane
Developer
translated on the fly from the stream yesterday, sorry if clunky or missing anything but I think I got it all.
edit: put it all in spoilers tag

PS4
-Hero's village is called Ishi
-Pink dialogue bubbles indicate prime story-relevant NPCs like DQX
-Jump mechanic and freedom of movement unlike any DQ before, you can run in rivers etc
-Continent of Lotozesatia houses the "World Tree" (Yggdrasil in english)
-Fully fleshed out map system akin to DQX
-Autorun function
-Equipment-only bag, similar to X
-Allies don't only follow you outside of battle, but you can talk to them from the menu akin to 8
-Running into things breaks them, more objects can be broken than previous games
-Joke books and other series that appear throughout the games make a comeback
-You can look outside all windows for the first time and see surroundings
-Utilize the new jump to explore previously unreachable places, like tops of buildings to find secrets and view beautiful scenery
-The mark on the hero's hand "drove the monsters away" - his mother's grandfather gave her the Hero's Pendant to give to you because you are the 'hero reborn'
-Hinonogi Volcano: expressive magma/lava effects
-Monsters are placed, not random
-Vehicles: variety of vehicles, use them to reach unreachable places, some are necessary to progress, some are optional/secret to allow access to treasures etc.
-Lots of new monsters this time, you can even see individual monsters from groups on the map, and you have time to examine and identify them before fighting (eg X)
-Now you can attack from exploration to initiate battles and do initial damage (eg Trails series)
-Even free-movement battle is turn-based, it waits for your input
-Same AI / Manual settings as other games
-Some vehicles have effects like ramming into monsters you don't want to fight
-Some vehicles can jump, some can fly, many are larger than the one shown in the video
-Auto-camera mode is designed with 8 in mind
-Sword Dance, Behoimi, Flame Slash, Gigaslash etc
-Dragon boss is named "Man-Eating Fire Dragon"

3DS
-Hybrid mode - using D-Pad, initializing battles will start them in 2d mode, using analog will start them in 3d mode
-Wanted to put in monsters that haven't been seen for a long time like Frogger
-On world map, monsters do things like sleep, or play
-Telcadar village (also the one shown in the 3ds preview movie)
-Dialogue boxes change screens based on D-pad or analog input
-You can jump on 3DS but not to reach out of reach places like PS4 - more of an aesthetic
-You can select a fully 2D or fully 3D experience, you can switch at any church
-Puff-puff is in, including visual scenes for 3d (not done yet) but wanted to include as it is a tradition from the first game - secret if you get all puffpuffs
-Boat encounters are always random
-Weapon/ally system is being kept secret for now - but "different from 8"
-Strange new race
Horii: Wanted to put the feeling of DQ back in the series, such as adventuring when you were a kid. The subtitle doesn't indicate a place, but rather dragon quest series as a whole, and not just gamewise but music and scenario too

Rough translation of prophecy: "The one with the Hero's Emblem, born from the world tree, will bring peace, and then be called the Son of the Devil."

-Very very difficult making 2d and 3d in tandem but they worked hard and you'll enjoy it
-50 hours base length, 100 if you do everything, same for all versions

Possibly Horii's last effort, so he wanted to make THE BEST dragon quest to date that includes all 30 years of history and memories, "including puffpuff"

Character descriptions are (rough tl):
Martina: Energetic Martial Artist
Silvia: Dreaming Jester (tabi geinin)
Row: Mysterious old man
Camus: Reliable friend
Senya: Easygoing Healer
Veronica: Genius fearless young girl

shram

Arcane
Developer
Definitely, me too. The pre-order is already up on Play-Asia, I put mine in after seeing the fully 2D version shown off last night. Looks so nostalgic.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
The Rare Emperor – King of Delcadar

DQXI_04-17-17_001.jpg

The king that rules over Delcadar. Not only is he praised as the wisest king in Lotozetasia, he is also a master swordsman, and is regarded as rare in that he has all the qualities of a king. Although he is a generous man, when order is disturbed, he is strict and austere in addressing it.

The Great General – Greig

DQXI_04-17-17_002.jpg

The brave general of Delcadar. There is none in the kingdom that rivals him in swordsmanship, and despite facing against monsters hundreds of the times in the past, even now he is undefeated. He has strong loyalty and is willing to risk his life as a shield as long as it is for the sake of his lord.

The Cold-Blooded Strategist – Homer

DQXI_04-17-17_003.jpg

The strategist of Delcadar skilled in the art of war no matter the time and place. He has secured many achievements, such as destroying a large army of monsters with only a skeleton force. He is a character with accurate judgment and quick decisiveness who will execute a strategy based on the situation in order to secure victory.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
of the two DQ games with party-creation (3 and 9), which is the better one and why? discuss!!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I gave up on 9 after 20-25 hours. Got tired of the characters and puns. Going back to level 1 when you changed classes was a chore. In theory, it's a game that I would play over and over again, spending 200 hours on, but it didn't click with me.

Exhuminator

Arcane
I haven't played DQIII. But after having beaten and enjoyed quite a few Dragon Quest games, I was certainly excited to play Dragon Quest IX. However, it didn't take long for me to realize said excitement was misplaced. DQIX never once surpasses its predecessors, but rather often fails to live up their legacy. This is Dragon Quest designed for the once DS loving casual masses, bloated to the brim with time wasting fluff. More than anything else, DQIX is a game of stark dichotomies.

For example; DQIX is stupendously localized, yet its banal plot and mute protagonists fail to validate that effort. DQIX has seriously impressive graphics, but framerate issues are often so bad that even text speed is affected. DQIX's music tracks sound sumptuous, but with so little variety their repetition quickly becomes tiresome. DQIX has plenty of explorable land masses, but they are almost entirely empty of secrets. DQIX offers tons of job systems and skills to learn, but battles are so simple you won't need even 1/10th of what's available. And on it goes.

Do you enjoy filler gameplay? You will be in busy work heaven here then. There are randomly generated dungeons (called grottoes) to grind up your job levels in, lots of ingredients to collect for alchemizing bucket loads of gear, and high level optional bosses to fight. Now maybe that's fun for some people, but that all just came across as hollow and pointless to me. I would have been just fine with another Casino or Traps & Treasures board. But who am I kidding, as a classic Dragon Quest fan, it's very clear IX wasn't made for me.

Dragon Quest IX might have been a proper Dragon Quest, if only it hadn't been so casualized and watered down to be as commute accommodating as possible. If less emphasis had been placed on busy work jank, and more focus on the core adventure and protagonists, I might have actually enjoyed myself. But the reality is, I wasted 38 hours of my life suffering through a rather boring JRPG. And I only did so out of a desire to eventually beat every mainline Dragon Quest. But for any reasonable person, I say give this one a pass. Unless you just can't resist the urge to alchemize horse manure with cowpats.

Vorark

Erudite
IX is shit. Play the SNES version of III -- there's a translation available. The GBC version is quite alright too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom