Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Did you play any of 2016's crop of RPGs?

What did you play in 2016 of 2016's crop?

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
fuck yea skyrim tho, the cream of the crop

man im always up for this game, its like the hole rpg game genre crystallized in a single master piece, this shit has it all stealth, diplomacy and mind games, epic battles wtih dragons and shit, a huge world to explore and many people to kill

Rev

Arcane
This year was pretty bad indeed. Luckily, 2017 will be better, if only because of D:OS 2. :obviously:

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
fuck yea skyrim tho, the cream of the crop

man im always up for this game, its like the hole rpg game genre crystallized in a single master piece, this shit has it all stealth, diplomacy and mind games, epic battles wtih dragons and shit, a huge world to explore and many people to kill

Pretty sure nobody will bait it:cool:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I only played Dark Souls 3 (wanted to actually try playing a DS game for once, rather than watching people play it on youtube) and DE Mankind Divided (meh, couldn't be bothered to finish it... Just played it for nostalgia's sake and because the previous remake wasn't complete shit at least). No Tyranny, never Tyranny.

This year was mostly boring as far as new releases go.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Only Blood and Wine so far, but I am looking forward to Deus Ex and might try Dragons Dogma, owned it since january still didn't play it.
And will probably give Tyranny a go.

pippin

I've just now realized Darkest Dungeon is the only 2016 game I've played. It's the problem of being stuck with a laptop though, I'm getting a new computer soon so probably my games will be more than just powerpoint presentations now.

Sizzle

Arcane
Completed:

Tyranny (has major issues, played it out of pure storyfaggotry)
TWM2 (liked it, bodes well for PoE2)
The Banner Saga 2 (more of the same)

Started or played some:

Siege of Dragonspear (played it a bit, but grew bored and abandoned it. Doubt I will ever play it all the way through)
Darkest Dungeon (I'm waiting on that Vampire DLC to tackle it again)
Avadon 3 (played it all the way to the end, but enemy HP bloat got to me. Will probably finish it sometime)
Salt & Sanctuary (seems interesting, will have to play around with it some more)
Dragon's Dogma (same as S&S)
Necropolis (didn't like it)
Tahira (not my cup of tea)
Warlock (cute, but couldn't really get into it)

garren

Arcane
Patron
Sadly, just Grim Dawn which I backed on kickstarter. Tyranny has been on my hard drive for over a month, but I can't muster the will to start playing it for some reason (I blame PoE which was a disappointment)

Meanwhile, I started playing vanilla WoW on private server, just kill me now :negative:

EDIT: I've been meaning to play through all the dark souls games but I heard that you really need a controller (which I don't have) to play the first one, so I guess I need to snatch a cheap one from somewhere, any recommendations?

Last edited:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh, I played Grim Dawn too (didn't finish that either yet, that seems to be how I play games these days...). It's nice'ish timeburner H&S, but it gets repetitive quite fast.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
EDIT: I've been meaning to play through all the dark souls games but I heard that you really need a controller (which I don't have) to play the first one, so I guess I need to snatch a cheap one from somewhere, any recommendations?

You don't need a controller for DS. You only need DSFIX. I played all 3 DS games with mouse and keyboard just fine.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Played Dungeon Rats. Didn't finish because I moved / haven't had my PC for a month. Might get back to it at some point.

I have created a character in the Expeditions: Viking beta, but I haven't played it yet.

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Dork Souls, Witcher, Dudesex and tranny. Tranny rubbed me the wrong way, It was too busy sucking and beating me over the head with political message IDGAF about. I am not into S&M much so I decided to stop playing 12 hours, Probably was half way in I heard that shit was shorter than an oriental midget's penis.

Mediocre gameplay and trash character creation system made leveling unbearable ,its meh plot isn't even worth storyfagging over. When I looked at spoilers after I quit you would expect a huge climax at the end but the whole thing putter out; The whole game was running blank on gameplay, content, and even story.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Why there is no "Fallout 1.5: Resurrection" on the list? People, here on Codex, say it is solid game.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The only one I tried to play was Tyranny, which I haven't gotten very far in. I enjoyed the Witcher series, but the pointless quasi open world in III pushed it beyond the event horizon of playability for me. I finished White March Pt. 1 and will start Pt. 2 as soon as I have consisent access to my desktop again (laptop loading times for Pillars push it beyond the event horizon of playability). Mankind Divided was too expensive for what it is until recently, but I will probably pick it up in early 2017. Dark Souls III would probably be fun to play but I suck at Souls games (or really any action RPG that isn't 2D or a FPS) so I haven't even beaten the first one yet. I imagine I'll play it sooner or later. Some of those other games would be cool, but are pointless to me (why Necropolis when I haven't beat Dark Souls, why Salt and Sanctuary when there are still DS Castlevanias I haven't beaten, etc) at the time of writing.

I expect 2017's most important RPGs (Torment, D:OS II, Expeditions) will have more mileage with me.

Last edited:

valcik

Arcane
I've touched Darkest Dung, gave up somewhere in 1/3 and never finished it.
Filthy mobile market gaem.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Warlock of Firetop Mtn., and Sorcery! Were fun.

Then I tried Tranny on steam for a couple of hours and then quickly got a refund.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
bad year for rpgs and games in general. a lot of garbage was released.

i'm waiting for underrail expansion.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Darkest Dungeon was fun for awhile but way too grindy
Dragons Dogma was such a great solid game that I replayed it straight away
Started Dungeon Rats but had pause during the hollidays
Really liked Tyranny and felt it was a refreshing take on the PoE gameplay, finished it too
Enjoyed Dark Souls 3 but not as good as the original
All in all I rather prefered to replay a favorite game like Stalker or Metal Gear V or try a good game I had never played before (like Arkham Asylum) than to pay full price for new games nowadays... bought the Nathan Drake collection over a month ago and simply have not gotten around to even taking off the wrapping

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Damn this year blows
Yeah but somehow I dont mind that much, after the first kickstarter games hit they produced good maybe even great games but nothing like a timeless classic and since my gaming time is becoming a bit limited I rather replay something I know I am going to enjoy or try a new mod than pay full price for a new game
Anyway I have such a big backlog of games that I probably wouldnt mind nor need new games
Still dream about playing Grimoire though...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom