Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

Unwanted
Queued Shitposter
Buy as many cheap mercs as you can. Concentrate firepower. Your losses will be less and irrelevant. The good mercs will survive. The very first fight you fight, should be at least 9 mercs.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The good mercs will survive

For me it's usually the bad ones that can't stay dead

ae59t4w.jpg

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Do reputations with cities do anything?

Yes. Better contracts & lower/higher prices on buy/sell.

For me it's usually the bad ones that can't stay dead

ae59t4w.jpg

:hmmm:

Why did you hire a guy with the "cripple" background in the first place?

Also:

8ARazLt.jpg

I gave up on trying to get this guy killed in battle and fired him. I like how damage to the brian makes you more courageous in this game :lol:

Buy as many cheap mercs as you can. Concentrate firepower. Your losses will be less and irrelevant. The good mercs will survive. The very first fight you fight, should be at least 9 mercs.

My quick guide to survive the early game:

• BE COST EFFECTIVE! Don't bother buying expensive gear/mercs early on. It's not worth it. Only exception: heather shields.
  • Spear > all. The ideal early game soldier has a militia spear, a wooden shield, leather armor and cap. You won't find armored enemies in the very early game, so spears are BOSS, with swords also being a possibility for your high melee bros.
  • NEVER skip on helmets. A single blow to the head can instagib a full life bro and even a shitty straw hat can prevent that.
  • Good backgrounds to look for: Brawler, Farmhand, Caravan Hand, Miller, Gravedigger and anything with low cost, some bonuses and no drawbacks. Ok backgrounds: Fisherman, Dayteller, Tailor/anything with nothing in the description. Avoid: beggar, flaggelant, cripple, eunuch/anything with penalties and nothing to make up for them.
  • Goblins can provide you with plenty of early game weapons. Once you're strong enough, bandit raiders also provide decent gear. Remember: raider > thug. If you're outnumbered by raiders, RUN!
  • Try to be friends with a small village that also has an armorer for affordable early game armor. Smaller cities have lower prices than big cities. Also, heather shields are amazing early on.
  • Try to be friends with at least one BIG city to sell your loot at premium prices. The difference is YUUUGE.
  • Pay attention to what a city offers in its market. If your city sells amber, DON'T sell your amber to them, since they will pay very little for it. Same goes to copper, salt etc. Salt is quite valuable, btw.
  • Always read the contract before deciding whether or not to take it. A triple skull delivery contract may be worth it, since you can (almost) always retreat in case of danger. Triple skull caravans...only if you feel like gambling. Triple skull dens: just say NO! Triple skull "terror" might be worth it, since direwolves are pushovers.
Hope it's useful to someone :D

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I ended up savescumming that fight and winning it but a bit later I ended up getting caught by a group of bandit raiders while chasing some thieves at night.
woxqsv.png

Andnjord

Arcane
I ended up savescumming that fight and winning it but a bit later I ended up getting caught by a group of bandit raiders while chasing some thieves at night.
woxqsv.png

Welcome to the club, I lost 3 times against Hoggart the Weasel when I bought the game, so you're already doing better than I did :salute:

As Eyestabber said, go for spears at the beginning and drop that pickaxe, spear have +20% to hit and the thugs you'll encounter early on have no armour.

EDIT: Actually you did really well in that fight, if those 13 kills are from raiders and not thugs that's a really good result for an early band.

Unwanted
Queued Shitposter
Another reason to up to 12 on the second day. The game doesnt know that some of them are naked fistfightahs so unwanted thugs will stay away.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Welcome to the club, I lost 3 times against Hoggart the Weasel when I bought the game, so you're already doing better than I did :salute:

As Eyestabber said, go for spears at the beginning and drop that pickaxe, spear have +20% to hit and the thugs you'll encounter early on have no armour.

EDIT: Actually you did really well in that fight, if those 13 kills are from raiders and not thugs that's a really good result for an early band.

Half were thugs and half were raiders and I've been fighting a lot of armored troops so I'll be keeping the pickaxes for that guaranteed damage through armor. I love how every weapon type feels unique in this game.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Really tempted to start playing again, but forcing myself to wait until the final release. I hope we'll be able to increase time speed on the overland map by the time I play again.

are there any major updates and or game changes to be implemented before release? I really really want to play this, but I dont want to play before most of the actual game mechanics and features are present.

Luka-boy

Arcane
A friend just gifted me a copy of the game!

:yeah:

And now I'll wait until the next big update comes out before playing it because it should make the game pretty much feature complete and I feel like that would be the right time to start a new game!

:fuuyeah:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The game is almost feature complete. Here, I recorded another one of those cool videos nobody watches:

An epic late game battle against a shitload of orcs. With a chieftain leading them.

Greenskin invasion you say? BRING IT ON! :positive:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom