Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is an RPG? Now I know, and you will too

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
It's taken me years to come to this conclusion, but it really was so simple.

Why were tabletop RPG games invented? Because people wanted to play pretend. Why did they want to play pretend? Because men love power fantasies and escapism. This also explains why women cannot into RPGs. Only trannies can.

And that's it. That's how you transfer a tabletop RPG to your living room's big ass TV.

An RPG game is a game defined by escapism. The kind that really sucks you in, the kind that has believable and very detailed characters that you can play pretend with. You can be doing some meaningless routine crap in an RPG game and yet the whole world is reacting to it, some dudes are patting your back, some are showing you their dicks, but they're doing something, making you feel important, feeding into your ego.

Think about it, why you play RPG games. It's because you want to stop thinking about your shitty life and your small alcohol addiction. Or maybe you're all out of smokes at 3 AM and enslaving nations with necromancy in that RPG game seems to make you feel better.

I had this amazing revelation after getting absolutely shit faced the last night and I'm certain it was providence. Now, we can finally unite the whole RPG game community and stop making the bullshit new-vs-old threads.

Trashos

Arcane
But what about those who want to be challenged? This doesn't seem to agree with the ego-feeding part.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
But what about those who want to be challenged? This doesn't seem to agree with the ego-feeding part.
It does precisely. You feel amazing when you finally overcome that challenge. Also, you can always reload and try again, but in real life your failures are yours forever.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
I've always said (for the last few months) that RPG's are games about world building that you're supposed to immerse yourself in.

Everything else is squad based tactics with Elves.

Andhaira

Arcane
In what cRPG can you enslave nations with necormancy though?

It's used as an example in many places, but there has never been a crpg where you can actually do that. (Please note that strategy games are not rpgs. No, not even age of wonder)

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Favourite definition I've heard so far is a representation of a pen and paper RPG in video game format.

Escapism definition makes me think larping online in an MMO with an Oculus Rift is the ultimate definition of an RPG.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Escapism definition makes me think larping online in an MMO with an Oculus Rift is the ultimate definition of an RPG.

Except escapism has nothing to do with graphics (think books lol) but good world building, which also means that immersion won't happen for many people in an MMO where there are loads of retards with "player agency" running around and NPC's are flat.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
You can be doing some meaningless routine crap in an RPG game and yet the whole world is reacting to it, some dudes are patting your back, some are showing you their dicks, but they're doing something, making you feel important, feeding into your ego

You must've been playing a different version of Age of Decadence from what I remember.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
From my experience, arguing from a recipients response perspective won't get you very far on a board full of guys with a natural sciences background and/or a strong dislike for the humanities.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i get my suspension disbeliefed every time playing wipeout games trying to master a track.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom