Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inxile and Obsidian are making good games

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
They make great games for common people and good for RPG fanatics, their games usualy are fabulous, mature, deep and engrossing RPGs, rich, immersive, reactive with writing so good, it made me remember why those old classic RPG games like Baldurs Gate and Fallout are considered classics. I didn't once click through a conversation or piece of background info, absorbing all the fine detail.
Story, writing, mechanics, party play, proper inventory and UI for PC game.... it is all there.

I recommend to anyone that wants to get back to old days of cRPG game, they are amazing for what they are.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
They make great games for common people

28ba7uq.jpg

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
they make good games sure, even PoE, fairly hated in here is quite good imo. not perfect, but good.

but

developers that created almost surreally good games like ITS and styg exist kinda undermine these guys' works. ITS and styg has alot less resources and experience, but AoD and underrail outdid PoE, Tyranny and Wasteland 2. you just have to ask all kinds of questions. especially for these people who have coined several legendary games before.

like is this all they've got? really? you could do better!

some people maybe say it is nostalgia goggles, but i started playing crpg in 2012, not too long ago compared to some guys here, and feel planescape torment and baldur's gate 2 are still superior to those games who claim to their 'spiritual successor'

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
ITS and styg has alot less resources and experience, but AoD and underrail outdid PoE, Tyranny and Wasteland 2. you just hve to ask all kinds of questions.

There is a downside to indie devs like ITS and Styg. Since they have less resources and less men, it takes too much time for them to produce something.

Would you like to wait another 6 years for another Underrail? Or around 5-6 years for the next ITS hit?

AA studios have higher production rate despite making shallow RPGs(compared to our lovely indies).

Grumpy Grognard

Inn Between Worlds
Developer
ITS and styg has alot less resources and experience, but AoD and underrail outdid PoE, Tyranny and Wasteland 2. you just hve to ask all kinds of questions.

There is a downside to indie devs like ITS and Styg. Since they have less resources and less men, it takes too much time for them to produce something.

Would you like to wait another 6 years for another Underrail? .

Yeah, I'd wait as long as it takes - so long as I get to play it. Good shit takes time when you don't have a lot of resources.

I mean, I'm still waiting for a true successor to Darklands, and Ultima 5, and the gold box games, and... (etc)

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

DeepOcean

Arcane
If PoE wasn't made with the "No tards left behind" phylosophy, and if they actually tought a little about how their story sucked ass, if they had interesting quests and if it wasn't so railroaded, it could be a good game. After all the patchs, it is a playble game but not much more than it, it was a weak showing for Obsidian and they seem to not have learned anything at all with Tyranny that has even worse gameplay problems.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
developers that created almost surreally good games like ITS and styg exist kinda undermine these guys' works. ITS and styg has alot less resources and experience, but AoD and underrail outdid PoE, Tyranny and Wasteland 2. you just have to ask all kinds of questions. especially for these people who have coined several legendary games before.

Only because you forgive Underrail and Age of Decadence so much for being "niche indie products".

Perhaps you also like some specific things about those games but they fail in terms of quality of life things (UI, good looks) and have very average writing. You can compare them to classic RPG games more easily because they look and feel like those while not having a budget or manpower to create same number of assets, same level of detail and so on. PoE, Tyranny and Wasteland are, meanwhile, clearly better than both indie and classic games in many regards, if only cause they use some modern technologies and conventions. They may lack direction, scope, innovation, freshness of classic games - but they are clearly better games in general from a modern point of view. I think indies trick our minds into forgiving them through nostalgia, it's like you playing a familiar old game only it's fresh even if it's somewhat worse. And that's what nostalgia wants - not something as good as the old thing, but relieving the old thing as if it's the first time.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
^ This man believes that Fallout 3 is a decent game.

I believe that bad writing and weak main story are not enough to call it bad game, especially when it becomes apparent then when you change it to the better (and do not even make most of the writing that great) you get one of the best RPG's in years. Just as well Age of Decadence having replayability or choices and consequences does not redeem an ugly game with bad writing, obscure mechanics, horrible UI and practically everything else you interact with. Fallout 3 is a flawed masterpiece and becomes almost a masterpiece when Obsidian resolves some of its flaws, Age of Decadence is a poorly made product in general with some great things in it.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I'd say they're makin above average games, nowt wrong wi em but nowt to butter your biscuit oer, certainly not on par wi Arcanum, Torment, Krondor or Ultima/Underworld.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
While they used D&D in their fantasy rpgs, certain complexity and a robust, detailed system was in place. As soon as they got a chance to get rid of the complexity and work their own systems, they did the same Bioware or Bethesda did: dumb down more and more the core mechanics, hire more writers, more voice actors, more artists, design everything with consoles as priority.

The comparison is unfair, as large studios don't have such freedom. But you can compare them with Larian, to prove some people still *tries* to make RPGs centered around mechanics, and not absolutely linear.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Would you like to wait another 6 years for another Underrail? Or around 5-6 years for the next ITS hit?

Sure. I'll wait if that's how long it takes to make a quality product. Why settle for less just so you can play it sooner?

I'm waiting 17 years for another Fallout game and there is nothing
If you haven't played it, Fallout 1.5 Resurrection feels like a new fallout. Unlike most mods, they've mostly got the BIS Fallout tone, world and quests.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom