Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry CRPG for Kids...

Black

Arcane
Pokemon Go is a good one for 5-8 yolds.
Oh yeah, I heard there are many great pokemans in various shoddy vans parked out in the street. Every kid should be checking them out.
Well, of course you don't let them go about it alone, but under adult supervision, I am sure every parent is responsible that way, right?
I say do it without supervision, observe evolution working its magick.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Started my boy on Ni No Kuni and on 3ds Yo Kai Watch(tried Pokemon too, but Yo-Kai Watch is more dynamic and varied for a 9 year old). Don't really care what he plays so long as he gets an appreciation for TB systems ;)

Actually he started on the Angry Birds Epic free app which is basically a 'my first JRPG' in style and it was good in getting him into the upgrade equipment/buff/fight cycle. He was about 6-7 then.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
SNES: Earthbound

GBA: Mother 3 (i.e. Earthbound 2)

not only the 2 best rpg's ever made, for any age, but would also appeal to kids (since it's about kids).

/thread

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Pokemon is probably one of the best RPGs for a kid.

-Really, really easy to get into it.
-Teaches about the importance of exploiting enemy weaknesses
-Shows how fun and important team building can be

And if the kid wants to take the next step after that and get super hardcore then they can look into Pokemon breeding, EVs and IVs, natures, abilities and competitive online where you have to squeeze out absolutely everything you can from the games mechanics in order to have a chance.

Lhynn

Arcane
Fallout, baldurs gate, bloodlines, arcanum if autistic enough. These are good and easy enough.
Dont poison their minds with AAA crap.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i don't think it matters what rpg's are good for what age. let them play whatever they want to play, jesus, don't be a fuckwit parent who tries to make a mini clone of themselves.

let the fucking kid live his/her own goddamn life and make their own decisions. at most, give them all the options you possibly can, and inform them about everything, and then you let them live their own life.

that said, my first RPG was FF1 for NES. loved it!

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i don't think it matters what rpg's are good for what age. let them play whatever they want to play, jesus, don't be a fuckwit parent who tries to make a mini clone of themselves.!

I don't know whether t's what you meant, but it absolutely depends on age what's good. Would I let someone under, say, 13 play first person rpg with serious horror elements - absolutely not.

Lhynn

Arcane
i don't think it matters what rpg's are good for what age. let them play whatever they want to play, jesus, don't be a fuckwit parent who tries to make a mini clone of themselves.

let the fucking kid live his/her own goddamn life and make their own decisions. at most, give them all the options you possibly can, and inform them about everything, and then you let them live their own life.

Retarded thing to say, theres such a thing as good parenting.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
In all seriousness, Fable is an RPG more suitable for younger kids. I would also recommend King's Bounty: The Legend, Ni No Kuni, and Defender's Quest.

Nah. My nephew found King's Bounty too hard at age 10, and he has booster math lessons cos he's advanced at math.

12+ is normal for most RPGs, just because the aesthetic looks a bit cheesy doesn't mean its aimed at/good for kids.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

Yeah, no. You're supposed to refuse to buy anything except the best 90's CRPGs, severely punish your kid if he can't remember the names of all the Fallout companions in alphabetical order and have the talk as soon as he reaches puberty. The talk being, there is no such thing as an ARPG and if you ever mention this heresy you will have to find another house to live in.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i'm a firm believer that kids should make their own decisions after being instructed, informed and educated objectively by their care-takers.

treating kids like adults, in the way that I have described in the above sentence, goes a long way towards making adult-adults instead of grown-up children.

obviously this should not be construed as: "hey, let 'em smoke crack, pussy! I already informed them all about what it does!". I think it's not even necessary for me to explain why this is not what I'm saying.

TL;DR: a parent, or care-taker, should not treat raising their dependents as a chance to mold them after their own image.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
i'm a firm believer that kids should make their own decisions after being instructed, informed and educated objectively by their care-takers.
Dude, one couldn't inform and educate someone objectively even if one tried. Might as well make him discover the best CRPGs there is instead of pretending that all game genres are born equal or some shit.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

treating kids like adults, in the way that I have described in the above sentence, goes a long way towards making adult-adults instead of grown-up children.

obviously this should not be construed as: "hey, let 'em smoke crack, pussy! I already informed them all about what it does!". I think it's not even necessary for me to explain why this is not what I'm saying.

TL;DR: a parent, or care-taker, should not treat raising their dependents as a chance to mold them after their own image.

Fuck off with the librul cuck shit.

If you actually had kids, and were a responsible parent you wouldn't come up with such shit. Treating kids like adults? Try that with a 6 year old!

Here's the reality of parenting for you: treat kids like KIDS. Let them enjoy being children and do all the stuff kids do. Why impose bullshit adult thought processes? Society and life will soon enough dampen their innocence and sense of wonder. I WISH I could get back what I had when I was a kid when I had no concept of mortality and life was fun.

On the topic, I'm disturbed by the types of RPG's suggested here. I know that you're all measuring your e-peens and suggesting some complex RPG's 'cause you know, you beat Wizardry 4 when you were 6' but reality is a bit different. Children funnily enough are not that interested in balanced party creation, AOE spells,number crunching and flank attacks, backstabs or creating an optimal build for a rat diplomat.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i co-raised a child from age 2 to age 6 in the role of step-father. Sure, the marriage ended, but that kid loves me and i love him.

the mother of course made the real decisions, seeing as i was not his biological father, but i know a little something about parenting.

those were the best 4 years of my life: being given the gift of helping co-parent that kid. I know all about the effects that exposing a child to media can have and I'll give one simple example:

- i'm an avid street fighter player and wanted to get the kid into the game, but we started getting reports that he was bothering other kids in pre-school/school by "playing street fighter" at them.

- had to make the decision to not expose the child to SF.

just one simple example, obviously, but i just felt the need to make sure you all knew I know what i'm talking about.

now, as for what treating kids like adults means? it means that when we would go to something like an exhibit about mars and space travel at a museum, we would explain to him (at the time 4 years old) everything about the subject in terms he could understand; we wanted to make sure to always explain things to him as we would to an intelligent person instead of lying about thns or under-estimating his intelligence.

what i think happened here is that you all think that me saying treating kids like adults means giving them adult responsibilities, when what is meant by this is to not patronize their intelligence and explain the why's and how's of everything, without resorting to lying just to make the child "leave you alone".

obviously giving "adult responsabilities" to a child is dumb. i can't even believe anyone would assume that's what i meant. there are many (too many) parents who treat children like they can't possibliy grasp or understand concepts, ideals or themes and simply parent them through "do what I say and don't question anything".

that type of parenting is one I disagree with. However there is no evidence concerning what parenting style will produce better adults; and there never will be, for the simple reason that when children grow up they turn into their own person. Maybe the kid that you spent time teaching them their entire childhood will end up addicted to meth, and maybe the kid whose parents always explained everything with the back of their hand will grow up to be incredibly successful and responsible.

:mystary:

EDIT: and to bring this post on-topic: his favorite RPG was Ni No kuni for ps3. It never even ocurred to me to push more complex RPGs at him because I noticed that the things he enjoyed most were cut-scenes and stories.

Last edited:

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I wouldn't give anything very violent or scary to a child but I don't think there's need to patronize them with really simplistic and dumbed down shit because they wouldn't understand anything else. Even though it might sound implausible, kids can actually be much more patient when it comes to playing games they don't really understand. They just try again and again until they figure it out.

I got Fallout 2 on a burned CD from another kid in the neighborhood who got it from someone else etc. when I was 10 or 11. Since I didn't understand almost any English, most of the time I didn't have any clue what to do. I was getting into unwanted battles etc. all the time because I was essentially picking dialogue options at complete random. Still, I managed to stumble my way to victory in the end, and I never forget the feeling when I figured out that you can steal Bozars from the guards in NCR. Dat massacring of everyone and everything like the tiny madman I was. That's fucking empowerment by games, SJW bitches :yeah:

Of course, I wouldn't knowingly let little kids play Fallouts due to their mature content but the supposed complexity wasn't an issue.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
a lot of people I knew as a kid played fallout 2 even though they didn't know any english. but they could play it perfectly fine. they completed New Reno at least since I remember one friend who had Myron in his party and he was like 9 or 10 years old

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom