Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

As usual, RPGWatch reviewing Turn-Based RPGs which Codex ignores: "Stranger of Sword City" is up.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34847

Excerpt:

Like in the classic Wizardry games, you have two rows in your party. The back row is only susceptable to ranged, magic, and some special attacks, while the front row takes the brunt of the damage. There are four front row classes: the defensive knight, the tough but not particularly accurate damage-dealing warrior, the more fragile ninja who specializes in killing single targets, and the more fragile samurai who can damage large groups of opponents. In the back is the ranger who specializes in taking down single opponents, the wizard, the priest, and the dancer, who is the only class that can use melee weapons at range and can use multiple consumable items each round. You can go without any of these, since the dancer can be as effective a healer as the priest, though this certainly costs more in terms of gold. Each class gains skills as they level up. Skills can be active, passive, a weapon proficiency, or the ability to use multiple spells. Each time you switch classes with a character you can "equip" skills from the former class. Each character starts with two slots, and gains an additional each time they reach level 13 in any class. The only downside to switching classes is that you start your new class at half of your old classes's level and class level determines hit and dodge chance to a great degree, as well as what level spells you can cast. This makes for a very interesting system that gives character development a lot of depth, allowing you to build all kinds of unusual characters (including ones that are pretty useless.)

pippin

Lots of people played it here but iirc they find it to be so-so, more eye candy than anything else.
You could also write your own reviews, you know. New meltdown incoming?

Gregz

Arcane
SoSC gets plenty of Kodex respect, and any website dumb enough to show black print over an illuminated white field deserves to be ignored on general principal. Watch or no Watch.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Must top Celerity's DD review... the codex will feel my text when it's done.

I've been writing several stream-of-consciousness "pieces" that could be edited into reviews for several Wizardry and Elminage games and they are all unfinished, meandering and at best rough drafts.

None of the texts really say anything that hasn't been said before about the games or the sub-genre.

Then Celerity posted his Darkest Dungeon review.

I want to top it. Topping it will require doing extensive research on 80's 'crawlers though before I even begin my attempt; and (no joke) buying a new keyboard as the one I'm currently using has worn out keys.

EDIT: Also I have other stuff to do that eats up time... I'm currently losing weight (down from 230 to 190 lbs at the moment, from the last time I posted a picture about 4 months ago); plus I'm always translating into English the Elminage games (2 and 3) little by little, along with Wizardry Empire 1, plus work, life, and most important of all: Street Fighter training.

Now if the Codex gave me some sort of actual incentive...

covr

Prophet
Patron
So your keyboard is good for translating 3 games at the same time, posting walls of text on the Codex but not good for writing a single review?

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Must top Celerity's DD review... the codex will feel my text when it's done.

I've been writing several stream-of-consciousness "pieces" that could be edited into reviews for several Wizardry and Elminage games and they are all unfinished, meandering and at best rough drafts.

None of the texts really say anything that hasn't been said before about the games or the sub-genre.

Then Celerity posted his Darkest Dungeon review.

I want to top it. Topping it will require doing extensive research on 80's 'crawlers though before I even begin my attempt; and (no joke) buying a new keyboard as the one I'm currently using has worn out keys.

EDIT: Also I have other stuff to do that eats up time... I'm currently losing weight (down from 230 to 190 lbs at the moment, from the last time I posted a picture about 4 months ago); plus I'm always translating into English the Elminage games (2 and 3) little by little, along with Wizardry Empire 1, plus work, life, and most important of all: Street Fighter training.

Now if the Codex gave me some sort of actual incentive...

You want Infinitron to post an Elminage review on the front page?
Can't you see this subtle anti-semitism?
fbHxJC8.jpg

Just in case the Codex wants to rush out a review, so that we're not too far behind on rpgwatch:

Remember, copyright protects form, not content. So long as you change the wording/phrasing enough, nothing is stopping you from using rpgwatch's review instead of playing the fucking game (unless one of us readers decides to sue you for Misleading and Deceptive Conduct for the $30 or so that we spent on the game, that we wouldn't have if you hadn't made out that the reviewer had played the game. Just set up a litigation fund of $100 - it will probably earn more interest than the eventual payout) .

Oh, and if they (i.e. rpgwatch or the rogue Codexer) sues you in Australia, remember that you've got the parody/satire defence. Yep, whether it's in defamation or copyright infringement, we hated Britain (who owned most the copyright back then) enough to enshrine 'I did it for the lulz' as a respectable defence.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I wouldn't recommend suing Codex. Those Watchfags will have their tranny asses handed to them.

jews_image19.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom