Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KotoR 2 Peragus

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
For fuck sake! Isnt it the same company that make Ocean Hotel people keep raving around here? If Ocean Hotel got that kind of lighting do you feel it's as atmospheric as it was?

You're mistaking Troika with Obsidian.

The reason why kotor 2's lighting sucks compared to its predecessor is because they had no time, as lighting is one of the things done last (this is also why Dragon Age II's lighting is terrible despite being made with superior tech that Bioware bragged about in a blog post).

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I like Peragus personally, but I do see why people have a problem with it. The atmosphere is top notch, but there aren't enough characters to interact with to justify the time you spend there. The story behind the place is great, but watching holorecordings will never be as fun as interacting with living people.

There's also the fact that you don't really accomplish anything until the Harbinger arrives, which makes the first part feel pointless. You run around the place until you find the way to the Ebon Hawk blocked by an inpenetrable force field, which you conveniently circumvent via the Harbinger.

laclongquan

Arcane
What part of T.U.T.O.R.I.A.L section do you have problem with?

And despite my carping on the light of Peragus, I must point out that it's beneficial to my play style: running around in the unmentionables.

Last edited:

Gunnar

Arbiter
Holy hell this level is a nightmare, I remember playing through this when I was younger and didn't realize just how terrible it is. I get the purpose of the mission, but it just seems to drag on now that I'm on my 5th or so playthrough. Thankfully there are mods on the steam workshop to remove the entire need to go through this level but holy hell. Am I just a casual? Or is this the worst tutorial in any video game ever?

I found it incredibly boring as well, you are not alone.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The problem is, like others have said, that it drags too long and most of the fights are unnecessary, otherwise it's fine. There is a "skip Peragus" mod, so yeah. I think it's even included in the Restoration project (which you absolutely must have, google TSLRCM), but I'm not sure.

Deleted member 7219

The problem is, like others have said, that it drags too long and most of the fights are unnecessary, otherwise it's fine. There is a "skip Peragus" mod, so yeah. I think it's even included in the Restoration project (which you absolutely must have, google TSLRCM), but I'm not sure.

It isn't, and I don't know whether it is compatible with TSLRCM, especially if you play the Steam version (where multi-mod compatibility is even shakier).

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Peragus suuuuuucks. 90% of it is dumb shitty fights and then to top it all off they make you play as a piece of crap droid for like 20 minutes.

To be fair, the tutorial thing for KOTOR 1 sucks just as much but at least it's shorter.

Also I refuse to play TSLCRM because of that piece of shit droid planet. IDK wtf they were thinking when they put that in there.

Deleted member 7219

Peragus suuuuuucks. 90% of it is dumb shitty fights and then to top it all off they make you play as a piece of crap droid for like 20 minutes.

To be fair, the tutorial thing for KOTOR 1 sucks just as much but at least it's shorter.

Also I refuse to play TSLCRM because of that piece of shit droid planet. IDK wtf they were thinking when they put that in there.

The droid planet M4-78 is a separate mod. You may be thinking of the HK Droid Factory, which you can avoid by not pursuing that particular dialogue tree with HK-47.

almondblight

Arcane
Yeah, it's pretty terrible. Endless empty corridors filled with trash combat. It doesn't help that the "mystery" is beyond stupid. "We sent a random droid we found to reprogram all the robots. Now the robots are killing us. I wonder why." "Man, it's annoying that the captain has me overtime, especially now that all the droids are trying to kill us." It's like a bad Alien spoof movie, but meant to be taken seriously.

v1rus

Arcane
Ye, I was also quite sure Peragus was hell, literally.

Then I gave the M4-78 mod a try.

eggdogg

Learned
I think fighting your way through trash mobs on Malachor V is worse than Peragus. Peragus is creepy, eerie and full of intrigue. On the other hand by the time you get to Malachor V you are so OP that trash mobs only slow the inevitable and involve no thought whatsoever.

Dux

Arcane
I think fighting your way through trash mobs on Malachor V is worse than Peragus. Peragus is creepy, eerie and full of intrigue. On the other hand by the time you get to Malachor V you are so OP that trash mobs only slow the inevitable and involve no thought whatsoever.

There's not much story to be found, either, even with TSLRCM. It's obvious Malachor V is a pale shadow of what Obsidian probably wanted it to be. Considering the fact that everyone in the game harps on about the damn place, it should have been something more. Instead it's just a forgettable and boring conclusion to the game, quite frankly.

Peragus is a pain in the ass sometimes but it does have a fair amount of backstory and general detail. It's also largely devoid of Jedi mysticism and all of that, which is refreshing for a change.

Falksi

Arcane
First time playing through KOTOR 2 and just slogging through this borefest. I'm assuming it gets better? This part is dull as hell.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
:necro:

Egads, I just played through this, completely forgot about this level. Blocked by trauma maybe.

I forgot everything about it so I re-read all the datapads, watched the logs, listened to the dialogue. Three fucking hours. Holy shit. Chateau Irenicus, Chosen One trials, and the Mortuary--I will never complain about you again.

-linear af
-piss-easy combat
-cutscene cutscene cutscene
-shitty puzzles
-worst companions in the game except Kreia who only fights for two seconds

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Peragus is perfectly serviceable, Citadel Station and Telos IV is torture

Thinking back on this KOTOR 2 sure does feel 'empty' and totally half-assed pretty much the whole way through. 2 does a better job with companions I think but 1 just feels more alive and complete.

I get that Obsidian was rushed but I feel like they didn't even manage to get like one fucking zone right in the entire game.

Also did you ever try the droid planet with the restoration mod? That place is an absolute nightmare holy crap

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Seriously, Telos is mind-numbingly boring and bland. No idea why Peragus gets the brunt of the complaints from people.

Seriously, Telos is mind-numbingly boring and bland. No idea why Peragus gets the brunt of the complaints from people.
I don't think those zones are actually that bad the first time you play through them. It's a few problems coming together that make them so boring and unpleasant:

1. At this point in the game you have not had any chance to develop your character. So you're not trying out different builds here.
2. Your companions are locked in. You will always have the same party throughout peragus - telos.
3. You, a magic force wizard with magic glowstick powers, are stuck with low level powers and no choice of equipment, and no magic glowstick.
3a. Then telos station has the utter gall to strip you of your equipment and make you take a pointless walk to get it back.
4. The combat is nonthreatening and slow paced. At best, you view enemies as XP bags, and more likely, as wastes of time as you watch lasers miss their targets repeatedly.
5. You have no agency whatsoever in the story throughout this segment.
6. Bao Dur is the worst and most boring companion. Then you're stuck with him on Telos.
7. Peragus is written as a murder mystery/horror setup. The mystery only sort of works the first time, and the horror doesn't work at all. Every new game must go through here, so it wears out really fast.

The game gets better after your make it through all this stuff. The first time through, it worked for me, it's building up to opening the world and turning me loose. But every time after I was just trying to get through it as quickly as possible.

During Telos you start getting to make actual decisions which is nice.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
3a. Then telos station has the utter gall to strip you of your equipment and make you take a pointless walk to get it back.
Seriously, what was with that decision by the developers? It's a tiny thing, but it's so pointless, your weapons could have just been returned to you after the fake Batu Rem fight.
Your equipment is even spread out over several lockers to make it even more ridiculous. :lol:

Tigranes

Arcane
4. The combat is nonthreatening and slow paced. At best, you view enemies as XP bags, and more likely, as wastes of time as you watch lasers miss their targets repeatedly.

I thought this was just the game telling me what it is, start to finish

But yes, I think you're right about Peragus/Telos

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"This was fun. It is now boring. I played through it 10 times"

FUKK OFF.

Anyways, Peragus is bad. And, it's no tutorial. By the time you finish it, you are level 8-10ush. Lmao The EH with the droid is the games tutorial.

Anyways, been playing or trying to play UT again recently. It doesn't hold up at all. It is worse than I remember.

The writing, the choices, the characters, the areas, the combat, everything. Maybe a 6/10. Maybe.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom