Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy 15

duanth123

Arcane
Without any information on how this game plays other than the main characters looking like japanese rockstars, I can safely say it is a terrible Final Fantasy game.

Combat is a bit of a clusterfuck in the early hours, particularly where groups of smaller enemies are involved. We'll see it it improves

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
You guys that got it, were you able to download the big update? I have a good internet connection but my update is taking foreverrrrrrr

Hyperion

Arcane
You guys that got it, were you able to download the big update? I have a good internet connection but my update is taking foreverrrrrrr

It's a large download. If you use a wireless connection, it's gonna suck.

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It's a large download. If you use a wireless connection, it's gonna suck.

Thanks Hyperion. Fortunately it sped up a bit! (Seeing "99 hours remaining" after already being a couple hours into downloading was not encouraging!). Popped on this weekend's episode of Westworld (great show BTW) and was pleasantly shocked when the download was done!

tet666

Augur
Well this is what you get if you let the managment design a game.
SE was absolutely floored by the reception of witcher 3 i think Jim Sterling was it who explained it best, they had mostly given up on big budget aaa games since the investments necessary didn't seem worth it at the start of this generation.
They needed something like it so they took this project they had lying around (versus xiii) and gave it to their most unremarkable director since he had no visions of his own he always did exactly what the management wanted, after a few failed attempts this is what we got.

Riskbreaker

So how's the exploration/combat? I've already given up on playing it for the story.
Amazing the dungeons are the best in the series. As for the The story it's mediocre but the ending is great tho.
I advise you to put some actual effort into it in the future: it is highly unlikely that you will either amuse or anger anyone around here if you continue like this.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
I just watched the ending on YouTube... Such retarded shit.

Same.
Watched some guy playing to check it out but it seemed completely retarded like most FF games for the past 2 decades.
Watched ending...and it's probably the worst. I just do not understand how anyone can play this..

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Controls are bad and combat is flashy but no funny or deep; a real mess. It's like when they were designing it, they didn't think in core concepts to make it challenging and engaging. Just added some mechanics, FX, good animations and hope for the best.

Examples:

- Frustrating long grappling attack animation.

- Clunky movement.

- No hyperamor when wielding the great swords. Frustrating when attacked by several small fast enemies.

- No way to cancel animations. Frustrating when attacked by several small fast enemies.

If you are going to face long numbers of enemies you need, a powerful and/or agile character to have fun. You don't need that in Dark Souls, but that's why you have overpowered characters in devil may cry, Ninja Gaiden or Dragon's Dogma.

And for me the worst offender,and super retard mechanic of the combat:

The dodge roll instead or having a fair amount of i-frames to encourage good timing, is context sensitive when you are going to get hit, so you can keep the button pressed for a very long time (based on mana, but it depletes very slowly) until the enemy attack and you auto dodge with a mist animation.

Ironically, this harm you if try to time your dodge like in other games, because the button has to be pressed in the precise moment the enemy is attacking, so if you tap to dodge when you are going to get hit, the dodge is not gonna trigger. Keep in mind you can normally roll outside of this context sensitive moment like in Dark souls, etc.

This system rewards long time button pressing and punish good timing tapping the input. How is this not fucking RETARDED? The outcome is in order to win I changed my tactics and I'm keeping pressed the roll button for seconds in combat to defend myself
, not having fun, and not being challenged.

Playing this you value even more great games in the genre like Dragon's Dogma.

Hyperion

Arcane
No hyperamor when wielding the great swords. Frustrating when attacked by several small fast enemies.
That's the idea. They want you to switch weapons for suitable conditions, or time your attacks better. If they had hyperarmor they would be the best weapon in the game hands down. As it is, I found a fire elemental Greatsword 30 minutes into the game that borught Noctis' attack to over 150. His attack with the Javelin or Engine Blade is like 60. The big Rhino at the end of the first quest is advertised as being a big, nasty fucker. He went down in 4 hits - a warp strike, then 3 swings after he was knocked vulnerable finished him off. It was a joke.

The game also tells you in the tutorial in order to dodge you need to press the button before the attack happens. There are certain Ascension abilities that reward timed dodges by restoring your MP (which is a pretty important resource at the moment). Levels also don't seem to mean too much in this game. At level 1, I took out a level 22 giraffe enemy mixed with some level 3's and 9's. Not easy, but kinda fun when you get the hang of it. I had to use magic in this fight, and I'm actually surprised friendly fire made it into the game since it's marketed as casual friendly. Haven't noticed it doing much in the way of damage to allies, but it definitely hits them. One of the bigger positives in my eyes.

Biggest combat gripes at the moment: sometimes while phasing (dodging) nothing happens, and I take full damage. Same goes for parryable enemy attacks. You get a Large prompt to press and hold L1 to block it, then press Square if you successfully do it. At least 15 - 20 times so far I've done exactly as ordered, and taken the full brunt of the hit. I'm not sure if it's a level thing, an MP thing or what, but it's had me cursing to myself a few times. Nor can I seem to figure out the exact details of my report card. I kill a pack of enemies without getting hit in 15 seconds flat, and get A+'s in Time and Offense, but my Finesse is a D. Apparently killing shit before you need to parry, dodge, or warp is a negative in their eyes.

The controls kinda suck, and are going to take a long time to get used to. You get 3 control templates with no opportunity of complete customization. Permanently targeting an enemy is a bitch - you need to Hold R1, then Press R3 to make it lock. I don't see why it's a 2 step process when it could easily be one or the other. Second, executing the bros' special attacks can be a bit frustrating when you're trying to run around and dodge as you need to hold R2, and then tap one of the d-pad buttons. For comfort, I suggest choosing Type B as it makes [] your basic attack and is definitely the most comfortable.

I haven't played much but the absolute worst part is the open world. Areas are mostly empty, with very few encounters. The size of the first area should have been cut in half without question. It isn't quite as bad as The Hinterlands, but we'll see what future areas hold. I'm tempted to turn off the minimap in hopes of it making exploring a bit more fun, but when you have a world map on hand at all times, it's a wasted effort.

The game is definitely a bit of a half-baked Dragon's Dogma, with flashier animations, a shitty camera, and not being able to latch onto things. The one big plus is being able to control your pawns' bros' special abilities as long as you have the Technique bar filled. Makes your characters invincible for the duration of it from what I've seen. I'm not going to comment on the story as I haven't done it yet, and you can watch Twitch streams and youtube videos for that. Nor do I give a shit about it as I fully expect it to blow. Gameplay-wise, it's not half bad, but it sorely reeks of "what could have been." It's plainly obvious it's been chopped up and rebuilt countless times over 10 years. Most likely to be attributed to someone upstairs in Square Enix looking at what RPG's were popular every 2 or 3 years and making the team emulate them until they ran out of time and had to throw some shit together and hope it stuck.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Not playing this but I watched like 10 mins of a twitch stream and I think this game was made for cucks.

ff15_screenshot_1811_08.jpg

Thank you,
-Dawkinsfan69

:mrpresident:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
No hyperamor when wielding the great swords. Frustrating when attacked by several small fast enemies.
That's the idea. They want you to switch weapons for suitable conditions, or time your attacks better. If they had hyperarmor they would be the best weapon in the game hands down

The problem is that if you are supposed to use all the types of weapons during the playthrough, this means is that there are no builds, so it's not an RPG. There is also almost no character customization. I just wanted to make my first playthrough fighting with greatswords, I don't care if they are perfectly balanced, I'd like them to be fun to use and build my character around them.

To be fair against big enemies they are fine, and if you you get satisfying feedback hitting them, but in crowded encounters they are a pain in the ass.

So in conclusion, the game is not an RPG. It tries to be an action game, but it's not a good one.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
- No hyperamor when wielding the great swords. Frustrating when attacked by several small fast enemies.
What? This isn't DS3.

Also RPGs don't have build. Each character should learn whatever he has time and talents to learn.

Last edited:

tet666

Augur
Not playing this but I watched like 10 mins of a twitch stream and I think this game was made for cucks.

ff15_screenshot_1811_08.jpg

Thank you,
-Dawkinsfan69

:mrpresident:

Tbh even seeing this stupid emo prick makes me sick urgh.

Reminds me of the South Park episode with the emo vampire kids somehow damn why cant we have cool chain smoking goth kids instead of this.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What? This isn't DS3.

Also RPGs don't have build. Each character should learn whatever he has time and talents to learn.

Yeah man, next time I play Baldur's gate I will try a gender fluid, chaotic lawful necromancer paladin. Should be fun.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
No manual but it did come with a little booklet with the signatures of the development team and an advertisement for FF12: Give Me More Money Edition. Maybe they will remove that faggot Vaan and replace him with Balthier I think his name was. Whatever. I'm gong to stare at this patch that will take another 12 hours with my bumfuck hill tribe internet.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Had it delivered last night, popped in the disk to install...not enough space! deleted some shit, try again...not enough space! deleted some more shit...finally install starts. Oh! A patch! Patch says 99+ hours to download...ok..LOL. Put the PS4 into rest mode and forget about it for now.

Woke up this morning, check the DL, it's done and installed. Good deal! Just finished all the tutorials and entering the game proper, I think. Waiting for the waifu to head off to work and I'll start checking things out.

Zep--

Hyperion

Arcane
As an additional aside, people are complaining about the Deluxe Edition DLC item Royal Raiment. Different costumes in this game provide different status boosts. For example, Noctis' basic outfit provides him with a pretty decent HP boost. If you choose the outfit minus the jacket, he loses the HP boost, but instead gains an attack boost. It isn't full on equipment, but at least it's something. Each character can equip up to 3 accessories when you learn the necessary Ascension skill for them, and weapons look like they give status changes as well as damage. For example, the Blade of Brannaer (unsure of the spelling atm) looked like it gave Noct 25% fire resist as well as a fire elemental attack, and triple his old attack stat. If you don't like Greatswords, you can of course give the weapon to Gladio instead. Personally, I'm a big fan of them so far - they have great stopping power and are good for rendering enemies vulnerable (cow tipping, basically) or breaking their appendages (gives you items, just like Dragon's Dogma, I think). Warp Strikes all have similar attack speed, making their high attack excellent for that strategy.Maybe when I get further, I'll share Matador's sentiment.

The Royal Raiment provides a boost to both HP and MP when wearing the whole thing. If you wear it without the jacket, it provides infinite stamina. People are complaining that having infinite stamina is overpowered and unfair, but they're just retarded. If you enable the stamina overhead and hold [], you'll run. Obviously it drains over time, but if you let go of [] right as the bar drops between 'ST' on the bar, Noct gets a second wind and fully recharges his stamina bar. This can be repeated infinitely, so you don't need the suit. It's a small image, but the only one I could find. If you look closely, on the top left portion of the bar you should be able to see the 'ST' I'm referring to. Naturally the only picture has Prompto staring at Noct's package / possibly blowing him.

hqdefault.jpg

I was limited to 2 hours of play, and won't have much time to play until Sunday when I get 2 weeks off from work. I'll be playing completely without a guide, but will try to give mostly spoiler-free insight into anything shitty or interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom