Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Comparing Tranny to AoD in the review is just gonna make the entire thread be about that statement, I guess if that's what they want.

The "comparison" in question is a brief, throwaway observation that in addition to their focus on choice & consequence, both games feature similar "pre-medieval" settings. That seems like a fairly noncontroversial statement to me, one that has been repeated by many. I don't know why those three gentlemen find it so alarming.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
If you're quoting the review now, we should at least discuss the full quote:

I would dearly love to see more games give the kind of attention to world-building, story branching, choice, and consequence that has gone into Tyranny. Other than Age of Decadence, coincidentally also set in a grim pre-Medieval world, this hasn’t been done in this scale in recent years.

Coming from somebody who has not played AoD, this seems too strong a statement. No matter if you agree with the sentiment or not, game reviewers should only compare games they have played.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Sorry, I think that's just weird. The basic nature of a game's setting is something you can pick up on Wikipedia. You don't need to have played it at all. But now that we're in public, Prime Junta can make up his own mind about this.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
If you're quoting the review now, we should at least discuss the full quote:

I would dearly love to see more games give the kind of attention to world-building, story branching, choice, and consequence that has gone into Tyranny. Other than Age of Decadence, coincidentally also set in a grim pre-Medieval world, this hasn’t been done in this scale in recent years.

Coming from somebody who has not played AoD, this seems too strong a statement. No matter if you agree with the sentiment or not, game reviewers should only compare games they have played.

AHAHAHAHAHAH!

Totally objective, 100% factual review coming right up. You might as well make prosper do reviews.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Sorry, I think that's just weird. The basic nature of a game's setting is something you can pick up on Wikipedia. You don't need to have played it at all. But now that we're in public, Prime Junta can make up his own mind about this.

Reviewers shouldn't make judgments about a game's "attention to world-building, story branching, choice, and consequence" based on what they read on wikipedia. When I read such a statement, I expect the reviewer to actually have played the game they are talking about. I don't know why you don't recognize that as a problem.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Reviewers shouldn't make judgments about a game's "attention to world-building, story branching, choice, and consequence" based on what they read on wikipedia. When I read such a statement, I expect the reviewer to actually have played the game they are talking about. I don't know why you don't recognize that as a problem.

Moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg

But okay, it's in Prime Junta's hands now.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

From last Wednesday:

He's never played AoD, so the error he makes there is perfectly understandable.

The question is whether we should ask him to correct it or if he should just remove any mention of AoD altogether, since he's really just repeating second hand information about the game.

Maybe a line like "I've heard that AoD also has strong c&c, but I haven't played it myself" could work?

I've been trying to get this cleared up for a week now.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Well, I figured you didn't care about it so much since you're a member of our private conversation with him and you didn't bother to post anything there. +M

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Well, I figured you didn't care about it so much since you're a member of our private conversation with him and you didn't bother to post anything there. +M

I'm only in that conversation because you wanted me to give Prime Junta a free key :M

You're his editor, I'm an outside contributor. It seemed appropriate to try to discuss the matter with you before telling him to change something.

Prime Junta

I put in that sentence because after due consideration I thought it would be unfair to VD to not acknowledge that he had, in fact, attempted massively branching narrative, in a similar world no less. If you Bubbles think that's a controversial statement, or something that requires deeper knowledge than having followed the development of AoD here and the many threads about it, then go fuck yourself with a chainsaw.

Edit: Also Bubbles you pencildick, why didn't you ask me directly about it in the thread you were participating on? Do you have to hide behind Infinitron or the rest of the Codex staff for that?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I put in that sentence because after due consideration I thought it would be unfair to VD to not acknowledge that he had, in fact, attempted massively branching narrative, in a similar world no less. If you Bubbles think that's a controversial statement, or something that requires deeper knowledge than having followed the development of AoD here and the many threads about it, then go fuck yourself with a chainsaw.

When I find out that a reviewer willingly publishes a judgment about a game he hasn't played, he becomes totally discredited in my eyes. I honestly thought you were better than this.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
My popcorn supplies are dwindling. With so many more Official RPG Codex Tyranny Reviews to come, I don't know how I'm gonna make it...

Sentinel

Arcane

Edit: Also Bubbles you pencildick, why didn't you ask me directly about it in the thread you were participating on? Do you have to hide behind Infinitron or the rest of the Codex staff for that?
Why would you decide to suck VD's dick halfway into a Tyranny review? At least give examples in your comparison paragraph or something. Don't just name drop a popular game for the sake of it.
AoD is overrated shit btw.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
23:50 - PrimeJunta: oh just fuck the whole codex
23:50 - PrimeJunta: seriously
23:51 - PrimeJunta: (1) tyranny was not a particularly enjoyable game
23:51 - PrimeJunta: (2) I played way more of it than I would have otherwise, to be fair to it
23:51 - PrimeJunta: and (3) I took writing that review as seriously as I do any of my writing, which is pretty seriously
23:51 - PrimeJunta: while I know what to expect from the horde
23:52 - PrimeJunta: I do *not* appreciate that kind of bullshit from the staff

Nothing left to do but to respect PrimeJunta's final wishes, then. The sentence stays.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
23:50 - PrimeJunta: oh just fuck the whole codex
23:50 - PrimeJunta: seriously
23:51 - PrimeJunta: (2) I played way more of it than I would have otherwise, to be fair to it
23:51 - PrimeJunta: and (3) I took writing that review as seriously as I do any of my writing, which is pretty seriously
23:51 - PrimeJunta: while I know what to expect from the horde
23:52 - PrimeJunta: I do *not* appreciate that kind of bullshit from the staff

Nothing left to do but to respect PrimeJunta's final wishes, then. The sentence stays.

I assume that comment about the staff means he blames you and Crooked Bee for this?

I hope you'll publish his review soon :M

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom