Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Endless Space 2

ArchAngel

Arcane
That sounds like 1 more year of EA.

covr

Prophet
Patron
The combat system is an utter crap right now. You can select your fleet, attack your opponent and choose one of the 3 tactics. That's all. Probably later some extra tactics could be gained. The three combat phrases (short, medium, long) are artificial now as you cannot choose what to do at each phase. What is more, with dumbed down ship creation you are limited in terms of customizing your vessels. Therefore no more creating powerful long range rocket snipers - ships are firing their weapons at every phrase of the combat, just some of them are better at long/medium/short range. Obviously it was done, because some players were creating ultra expensive and useless ships in ES1 and than complaining at steam forums that 'gaem is toooo hard, friggin priates are too stronk'.

Apart from that game is fucking great.

orcinator

Liturgist
Played the alpha for a bit, quit around turn 50 since the normal AI doesn't seem to do much of anything.

Some things have been improved, like not having to wait 8 turns before you can capture a planet, but it seems like most of the flaws from ES1 will persist since I doubt they'll make the combat not shit nor make an AI that can move across the space lanes without crashing into your doomstack every other turn.

As for the new features, having different populations in your empire seems interesting but there doesn't seem to be any way to purge them or move them around between systems, which is especially annoying as the cravers since depletion speed scales with the craver population and I didn't notice any techs to slow it down, besides a final tier hero ability.

Juggie

Augur
I would rather not have any tactical combat at all than the rock paper scissors silliness from ES1. I autoresolved it anyway. Combat in ES2 is basically forced autoresolve with optional cinematics.

As for ship customization - some weapons can fire at multiple ranges. This is dumbed down how? That it's no longer gimmicky 3 weapon types and 3 hard counters bullshit?

The game has several shortcomings right now but I hope they fix at least some. The AI seems to be the worst. It's especially poor at managing units and based on my observation plays with the map revealed.

Another issue is lack of things to build unless you have very low production, high science output and research mostly techs that unlock buildings. Otherwise usefulness of building many well designed ships is limited by fleet CP cap and resource cost of the ship designs. Spamming production only ships in huge quantities is quite silly strategy and doesn't give you much advantage anyway.

Drakron

Arcane
Any good LPs/streams yet?

Too soon, it takes a while to learn and people hat jump this soon are just looking for views and dont necessary understand the game.
I saw one were he endited the ship and taken out the engine module for more auto-repair modules ... then later he tried to move them, take a wild guess how many extra turns it would take to get to the next system?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The most funny streams are when streamers are learning. When they are profficient, they are not doing mistakes...

Juggie

Augur
I like the idea of political parties and elections. It's basically an empire wide specialization system. What's interesting about it is that instead of choosing the specialization through a menu the game assigns some "ideology" affinity to every action and the election outcome reflects the actions you take since the last election. This means the game organically adapts to what you do. I find it more interesting than systems like Civ5's policy upgrade unlocking.

It's not perfect but it seems nicely tied in with other systems. There's also more to it than just simply reflecting players actions. The "ideology" points are generated differently by different populations and the player can affect the outcome of elections. Plus there are different government types, which I haven't tested yet, but they could provide additional twists on how the political system works.

The population system on the other hand isn't designed very well. The type of population you get is mostly random and you can't do anything about it. So some systems will get minor race population producing extra food which is useless at max population and you can't replace them or send them to new colonies to help with growth.

I guess the frenchmen wanted to emulate multicult society with useless races that you can do nothing about only learn to tolerate them.

Drakron

Arcane
I recall seeing a Racial Purity Act on the laws in the Cybertits faction that I think was to prevent population growth from non-Cybertits so it appears to be some control depending of what acts can you pass.

Also considering minor factions its not a bad idea per say since I seen they can get bonus on what planet type they are, the real problem it seems being the lack of control over who gets shoved where as from the videos I seen you cannot move populations across systems, so if you get some with a science bonus in cold planets and none are in the system you are out of luck.

circ

Arcane
RNG usually placed me in a sector where I just got fucked over early before having a chance to expand. Maybe this got patched away, I lost patience so don't care. A lot of tech trees seemed to consist mostly of flavor text perks with actually useful ones mixed in but no way to tell because it was all explained with gibberish.

covr

Prophet
Patron
You must have bad luck regarding placing you at some shitty sector, never had such problem. Important thing is to arm yourself with strong fleet, no matter which rase do you play. My strategy is that during peace for every 3 things I've build one is conected to military stuff. When the fleet maintaince is getting too expensive...well, you know what to do.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Played it a bit on the Impossible. Endless is also doable, but it depends on the race - some, like Vodyani, can perform there without much issues, some, like Lumeri, require a ton of luck to succeed. Well, tbh, Lumeri require a ton of luck to succeed even on impossible, but what you can do - atm, the only good thing that they have going is having huge tits. And huge tits, unfortunately, don't win wars. Stupid wars.

At this point I like it. Yeah, the balance is kinda iffy (smth like Vodyani > Cravers > Sophons > Lumeri), but each has a really distinct start and, though it somewhat evens out through the course of the game, the racial differences still stay relevant. The tech tree, while simplistic, has some really tough choices and every new discovery should be subject to careful consideration (though there's some disbalance there too, mostly in Era 1). The random factor is sorta tolerable. There is an element of luck, but it mostly comes in the form of lucky/unlucky spawns than some quests, random events or whatnot. And, tbh, even the great ones (like SMAC) had the same thing with starts - some (most) are just doomed from the very beginning.

Combat is minimalistic, but that's ok. It's just the nature of this games - they can do either micro or macro well, not both. You're generally winning on timing and efficient economy, just drowning your enemies in sheer military power - under such conditions, more intricate combat would've been wasted. And the trick is learning the proper strategy and managing your resources in a way so you actually accumulate that sheer military power.

Out of races, I like Vodyani the most. They favor vertical development (i.e., not as much empy management) and can or, rather, should do some rather nasty rushes. Their vampirism trade is gracefully done - you need to play around it, but it doesn't dominate your playstyle as much as it seemingly threatens to. Custom ark design also give them a good bit of flexibility, you can, potentially, focus your empire on a number of different things. Though, ofc, it depends on the difficulty - higher ones force you into being really active so you don't have as much choice.

Sophons, despite their scientific background, are more of a generic vanilla race. Sort ok at fighting, but not that bad economically. Can do a number of things and actually should do them - focusing too much on the science is suicidal as its rewards are only as good as your industry is. If you can't build them (and high era techs are expensive), they're not worth much.

Lumeri have a very specific start, but generally they suck because they just don't have the production. They can assimilate minor races cheaply and, in order to win, it's an absolute must - otherwise, they just have no early military might and no early industry, the AI will just outproduce you. As usual, the AI is really dumb but has tons of free economy. Anyways, assimilating stuff is not easy - AI with its nigh-endless resources can do it much faster than you so you have to be really lucky to get them spawned somewhere afar from the enemy empire. You also should scout aggressively but that's a part of Lumeri playstyle - they're the best explorers in the game (atm).

Can't say much about cravers as I haven't played them yet. They seem to be as aggressive as the vodyani and less luck-dependent, but with a harsh timer attached. We'll see how to play around that.

Drakron

Arcane
OK since I am a carebear and never played a Endless game before, I try it on easy and Lumeri AI always end up on a score winning so thats that.

The oddest thing is the Sophons AI seem to be oddly aggressive because in one game, they declared war and by the time their 3 ship attack fleet arrived it just moved out as some turns later, they were wiped so AI needs work because they are at least too dumb to live, I can understand Cravers but not them to act that way.

Tech needs work, there are some Tech you MUST grab period, the one that allows diplomacy with ninor factions, the creating trade companies and the one with Warp since eitherwise you are stuck on the constellation ... also there are oddities since without 3D printers if you dont want to build anything on the system then you cannot do anything with the system, I dont think thats a good idea since if we are done then we are done, I dont think Legends required tech to have cities to just produce Dust when you dont want to build anything there.

covr

Prophet
Patron
First major EA update is out, there should be 2 more major updates and the biggest one with 1.0 release.

[MAJOR CHANGES]
  • A new faction has been added to the game: the United Empire[wiki.endless-space.com]
  • The Marketplace is now available
  • Added Mercenaries system action that will allow you to use mercenary units not showing their owner's flag
  • You can now raze your systems
  • Added Pillage: in addition to razing the systems, players will generate Dust based on the destroyed Star System Improvements and the killed population
  • Reworked Truce system. Truce won't be forced anymore but will be based on civil unrest. The only way to remove the civil unrest is to end the war.
  • Added the Eusocial minor culture
  • Added 3 news minor faction (Z'vali / Pilgrim / Amoeba)
  • Changed Deuyivan minor faction from Scavenger to Eusocial culture
  • Added Manpower panel
  • Added Era 4 of the Technology Tree
  • System Influence conversion buyout: when a Star System is passively converted by another Empire's area of influence, this Empire can pay Influence to capture the system
  • Increased turn limit to 200 turns: the score victory will now trigger at turn 200!
  • Technology cost increases more slowly within an era but the steps from an era to another is bigger
  • New technologies have been added to the three first eras, related to different features
    • Marketplace
    • Privateers
    • Manpower management
  • Manpower quantity on systems, ships, and empire has been increased
    Ground Battle plan has been updated
  • Ownership mechanics have been added: it will take turns before gaining ownership on a system, affecting the approval and forbidding the deployment of the influence
  • Minor faction can be assimilated through the resolution of specific quests
  • Wonders related to Deeds have been implemented but the Deeds are still WIP (interface and implementation)
  • The global enrolment has been replaced by a local enrolment converting 1 population into Manpower

[UI]
  • Added the star system list population management
  • Added the star system planetary management
  • Victory screen has been retaken

[IMPROVEMENTS]
  • Added health regeneration on ships
  • Heroes can now be hidden (received only via quests)
  • Heroes recruited by empires when the game starts will not be available in the first pool of heroes
  • AI can now attack when another player declares war
  • Improved the way hero unlock points are displayed in the Academy screen
  • Added several shortcuts:
    • Page Up and Down to zoom in and out in the galaxy view
    • Enter and Escape to close a notification
  • It is no longer possible to have the same hero twice in a hero recruitment notification
  • Several missing texts have been added in game
  • Improved performance especially with fastest settings
  • A system can't be besieged if it has personal or allied fleets in orbit.
  • A system can't be invaded if it is under siege.
  • Systems become under siege when enemy fleet leave the attacked system.
  • When a system is under your influence you’ll be able to buyout it with influence
  • Minor factions now all spawn fleet which belong to the same rebel empire
  • Removed weapons restrictions on hull, all hulls can use kinetics, beams, lasers and missiles
  • Strategic resources on weapon and defence modules have been spread out in a different way (exotic effects are still WIP)
  • Tweaked some values and costs of the weapon and defence modules
  • Increased range efficiency of the weapon modules (now more spread out and you can see the efficiency percentages in the tooltip)
  • Added bonuses on Attacker and Support hulls (currently the same for all the factions but will eventually be different):
    • Attacker: Focuses fire with the flotilla to quickly eliminate ships + weapon damage bonus
    • Support: Attracts fire from enemy to protect the other ships + defence module bonus
  • Added different target orders for attacker, support and carrier ships (hover the role to see them)
  • Fixed strategic resource costs for all the enhanced module slots
  • The defensive military power now takes into account the initial hull health
  • Added health bonus on ships when they level up

[GROUND BATTLE]
  • The manpower of both all attacker and defender fleets are used in the ground BattleReport
  • The fleet manpower is given back at the end of the ground battle
  • Ground battles can be aborted with a diplomatic relation change or if the defender colonised system disappears
  • Improved a bit the feedback on the notification (more improvements coming soon)

[AI]
  • AI refreshes and creates new ship designs for specialized roles
  • AI takes more meaningful military decisions
  • AI uses advanced manpower system
  • AI protects its outposts, harasses the player's outposts, and handles outpost equality
  • Fixed several issues leading to infinite end of turn
  • Fixed Fleets in order to go to the right goal with minimum moves
  • Limited the number of concurrent exploration
  • Raised the number of concurrent colonization
  • Players can now attack in different fronts in same time when a war is launch
  • The AI should be more reactive when attacked
  • Fixed the drop of some missions
  • AI can now block other outposts
  • AI can now use all possible actions to accelerate the capture of an outpost
  • Guard system has been added
  • Added cancellable missions
  • AI can now repair and retrofit fleets
  • The AI will retreat its fleet in a suicidal encounter
  • AI can now buy manpower upgrade
  • The AI can now cancel infinite building when something better is available

[FIXES]
  • Fixed inconsistency in several tooltips
  • Fixed an issue where players are not informed that anarchy duration is modified by the empire approval rating
  • Fixed an issue where there are no tooltips in the Post Game Screen
  • Fixed an issue where the fleet indicator does not properly work on systems with motherships and fleets
  • Fixed an issue where minor factions create fleets which exceed their command point limit
  • Fixed expedition buttons not refreshing properly in orbital view
  • Pressing escape when launching a probe will now quit probe launching mode
  • Fixed attack button saying "cannot attack allies" when there is nobody around the node
  • Improved the objective for the "Those Darn Kids" quest which was misleading
  • Fixed an issue where several technologies overlapped the category symbols from the technology screen
  • Reorganised the technologies category symbols
  • Autosaves no longer overwrite the user's manual save if the manual save is named "Autosave"
  • A system can no longer be invaded while it has personal or allied fleets in orbit.
  • The "Ship design" screen now inform the user about the retrofit cost
  • Added "Show location" on mothership notifications
  • Fixed error occurring when using a slider in the NewGameScreen and pressing ESC at the same time.
  • Fixed many errors occurring when exiting a game, due to windows trying to access released data.
  • Fixed motherships being detachable when under siege/invaded
  • Retreat button is no longer visible when the ground battle has ended
  • Fixed laws received as quest rewards not being received
  • Fixed non-major empires being able to discover the Academy
  • The user can now interact with elements that are situated on the far right of the Technology Screen
  • Empire Dust is now displayed in the Ship Design screen
  • Fixed an issue where the icon of the faction was visible even though that faction was unknown
  • Fixed hulls & modules not having the right price in tooltips
  • Fixed Vodyani happiness not refreshing properly
  • Added in the control banner the political party unlocked and their trend
  • User are now informed that ships costs are increased when a new era is reached
  • The scan view button is now clickable
  • The user is now informed that he can lose his fleet when attempting to retreat to a undiscovered system
  • Added a "remaining turns" section to the constructible tooltip

Last edited:

covr

Prophet
Patron
And the mentioned roadmap to the release. Space battles should be less shit improved in the second update and the final one:

Update 1
  • New Major Faction content and gameplay
  • Minor faction quest: the ability to interact with minor factions with quests. Not sure all the content will be there for Update 1 though
  • Marketplace system & screen
  • Manpower and ground units management : allows you to customize your ground troops and their breakdown between soldiers / tanks / strike crafts
  • Advanced star system list: population management, colonization shortcuts, etc
  • New Major Faction content and gameplay. I know speculations are high but I cannot disclose yet what Faction 5 will be!
  • System razing
  • Improved Forced Truce system
  • Improved System ownership (as in ES1)
  • Pacific System Conquest
  • Population collection bonus (empire wide bonus when you reach a certain amount of population of a type)
  • Mercenaries (privateer units)
  • Population migration visuals (ships actually appear on the map), and manual migration system
  • Deeds: competitive objectives unlocked by era. Not sure the whole content will be ready for Update 1
  • Cooperative / competitive quests: update on the UI to handle this type of quests
  • Technology Era 4 (some visual content may be missing in Update 1)

Update 2
  • Space Battle improvements (complex, could not fit into Update 1)
  • Battle scan view improvements
  • Advanced fleet management (automerge, reinforcements)
  • Senate / population improvements
  • System orbital scan view (display numeric value and ranking)
  • Remaining victory conditions
  • Star system rebellion
  • Advanced gameplay options

Update 3
  • Technology Era 5
  • Multiplayer
  • Constellation control
  • Star system governor AI
  • Shortcuts and exotic controls (zoom slider etc)
  • Scan views polish / improvements
  • Reserve time for G2G requests

Release
  • Fighters / bombers (maybe available earlier, but this is a long feature to develop)
  • Final Major Faction content and gameplay (probably the Unfallen)
  • Advanced Diplomatic options
  • Planet scan view
  • Custom factions
  • Battle advanced report (could be earlier)
  • Modding (will try Steam Workshop for release)
  • Advanced planets and suns interactions
  • Global storyline
  • Achievements
  • More secret stuff that we are not sure to do (or are really interesting).

Again, this may be subject to change, but that is what we are aiming for. If we miss a feature in Update N, the goal is to have it in update N + 1.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
are there any official forums? I want to know how are they thinking about enriching the combat aspect

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, that guy certainly found a solution for the "too many idiots on this planet" problem :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom