Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Released

DeepOcean

Arcane
So, ah…Hard or PoTD?

Are enemies just damage sponges on PoTD or is there some genuine challenge here?
Only difference is that enemies will take alot longer to die, sure, maybe more challenging than Hard but with the combat this games has, are you sure you want the fights to take longer?

Sizzle

Arcane
As it stands now, it is impossible to take pleasure in Tyranny's combat system, so I would suggest turning the difficulty all the way down to make the fights be over as quickly as possible.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
So, ah…Hard or PoTD?

Are enemies just damage sponges on PoTD or is there some genuine challenge here?

Only difference is that enemies will take alot longer to die, sure, maybe more challenging than Hard but with the combat this games has, are you sure you want the fights to take longer?

This. A bad combat system with poor encounter design doesn’t become enjoyable if you decide to choose the “hard” mode. The “hard” in a game with a broken combat system is usually things like more HP to your enemies, more enemies, etc. These palliatives only make things worse. The next time you decide to play a cRPG with popamole combat system like Arcanum, Kotor 2, Shadownruns, PoE or Tranny, do yourself a favor and don’t try to recreate your own challenges in such an artificial manner. You will die of boredom. Have some dignity.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
To my surprise, this game is actually much better than PoE. It is actually some fun (instead of PoE which consisted of 100s of boring fights).

ArchAngel

Arcane
So, ah…Hard or PoTD?

That the same thing I told people that complained I played PoE on Hard instead of Potd :D

DeepOcean

Arcane
I liked:
- There are alot of choices and it is interesting how you can manipulate things. There is an alternate path to solve the fortress bit that changes the end fight on a few ways, just minor spoilers, not big stuff:
You can choose between the two factions, who will be the one that will assault the fortress, setting out who will be hostile for you on the rest of the game.
You can choose one of the factions and build loyalty, there is a character that implies you can build loyalty with one of them then betray the faction when you get rid of the other.
You can make an alliance with the rebelion and help out but at same time pretending you are doing Kyros will, proclaiming the tower for Tunon and later trying to convince other leaders on other regions to fight.
You can convince the rebel leaders to get out of the fortress and plan an ambush for them outside the keep under a pretense meeting for discussing peace.
You don't have absolute freedom and things will move foward on a certain way regardless, the events on the game will move on a certain way but you can change the details and the alliances when those events happen. It is nice too that they made things move on a way that makes sense, while events unfold on a stabilished way, you don't feel annoyed and restrained because it makes sense, you don't have control over the archons and their huge armies, they are the ones with power to set up what happens on the game, you are asked how you gonna react to that. They were clever enough to acomodate all the realistic options your character would have.

On many RPGs, you question the choices the game designers leave you because they don't make sense or assume you care about the choice from an emotional or moral standpoint , you could easily see a much better alternative for your character and you are really making choices not because you would make those choices but because those are the only ones made available by the designers. On Tyranny, shit is happening and dragging you along, your character doesn't have, realistically speaking, alot of choice as he was conscripted on Kyros service, you have to deal with what you have. People are commenting they dropped the ball on the end, I will see but the options at the start are really interesting.

- Another thing that I liked is that the game is short because they cut alot of the "let's go on this completely unrelated sidequest that has nothing to do with the main quest.", most things are related to the main quests and not on the "I need to go to this planet for the Star map, rest is just side stuff." that Bioware does. Many times it is the typical "I will kiss this guy ass to get favor points with this faction" but not on a Dragon Age Inquisition sort of way of getting Inquisition points for getting 10 bear asses, you don't grind reputation, you make choices that build you reputation and would make sense why being nice with a faction would make them entertain the idea of talking with you.

I felt meh:
- The writing is just adequate, it isn't bad, it works but it is on the level of a Baldur's Gate and an Icewind Dale , it doesn't get nowhere near the levels of Obsidian games before PoE. The characters are just okay, they don't have much in terms of belief, goals, objectives, morals and themes going on them. Eb and Lantry are okay but Durance they are not, Barik and Verse are boring shitheads.
- The factions don't have much going on them too, they are the red shirt guys vs the purple shit guys and the archons are just boring assholes. Why should I help those idiots? The way things are, the only fun option is just to fuck them both.

I hated:
- They inclined on the choices but on gameplay mechanics outside of that... Jesus Christ, it is the worst of PoE with some half baked ideas on top.
1 - They kept the streamlined "social" skills system of PoE, that is already bad, but on top of that it is learn by doing. I means you gain subterfuge by opening chests, disarming traps and locating hidden containers. Later you can use subterfuge to pass dialog checks. Do you think it makes sense you picking boxes open making you a better liar? Because you can't invest points on skills, you gain experience on those skills crazy fast too on a way to compensate.
2 - You don't have much control on the spell making system, when you set up the forms, you don't have much control on the effect, you can't choose what buffs and debuffs will go on the spells only if they will be stronger, more accurate, have a bigger duration, a bigger area of effect. There are situations where spells change radically from changing their forms.
3 - The talents or outright suck, are way too situational to be useful, are marginally useful or when they are useful they are boring as fuck like more spell slots and more engagement slots. As a result, playing with anything that isn't a mage will make you have very, very few options (mages aren't brillant either on this department because why have weak as fuck CC spells on your precious spells slots if you could have DPS shit in there?)
4 - The Ai is okay, the problem isn't that, it is just that their abilities fucking suck and are just variations of bigger DPS attacks. Archers will shoot you harder, melee fighters hit you harder and mages throw special effects harder from time to time, I didn't fight dangerous stuff that needed a change of tactics to bring down like the plants and plant ladies that could dominate you on PoE or the shadows that had stun attacks with teleport as default. (mentioning PoE here to not trigger Obsidian fanboys because when compared with games with decent combat systems... the situation gets worse). The Ai doesnt have the trick of having lighting, ice and fire spells to always have damaging attacks being pumped out. Nothing survive three mages lighting cones, ice cones and fire cones.
5 - The cooldown system made fighters even more useless than they were already, why to make a fighter? Having Barik then later booting his boring ass in favor of the beast woman is all you will ever need. When you have easily spammable spells of doom, why bother? Even if you properly make a fighter, he will only start doing decent DPS later and by that time, your mages that are already OP, will be even more. Imagine if Baldur's Gate 2 had you with infinite fireballs and no friendly fire? It would be dream of casual shit players but not for people who like good games.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Gameplay, the SJW agenda ala Bioware (even tho it wasn't through your throat kind of thing, it was well placed really but feels just as jarring as always)

Just out of curiosity, where are the SJW moments?

I haven't noticed anything, having not played much yet.

Iri

Educated
Gameplay, the SJW agenda ala Bioware (even tho it wasn't through your throat kind of thing, it was well placed really but feels just as jarring as always)

Just out of curiosity, where are the SJW moments?

I haven't noticed anything, having not played much yet.

For the record, I am down with tasteful content in games that improves the story and/or design. I think the term "SJW" is white boy edgy. (Try. Harder.)

With that disclaimer:

-There are all kinds of characters with all kinds of shades of skin/sexual orientations- so lots of diversity (except your main party, of course.)

-There are women in roles of power and men in roles of subordination (who don't complain and respect/admire women).

-There are allusions to racism (as well as the classic "Noble Savage" race but more GRIMDARK)

-*SPOILER-Y*
The big baddie does not have a defined gender.

-Most of the world is morally grey- but the good guys are definitely left leaning. As in, not into a Fascist State.

And alot more things of this sort. Not SJW. Just y'know, allowing for diversity in a video game. (except, of course, your main party.)

There is alot of trying to "...really make the narrative hit home, man." failed-hollywood-movie-script-doctor-encouraging-a-high-school-dungeon-master to "...make it PERSONAL!" feeling content. Stuff that is very heavy handed that I can't get behind.

The big "this shit is real, man" moment that I really, REALLY thought was obnoxious was:

You are talking to this lady and you click the "Sure tell me about your past and maybe let me get some XP" button. She then is all coy about her past and shit. So you click the only response option and blah blah blah you end up convincing her to like, really let you in her world. So she tells you about how her kid/brother/mother/sister or whatever committed suicide and she REALLY doesn't like to talk about it.

It's like, huh? Really? oooooookaaayyyyyyy.......

Basically that shit is tacky and that's all I'm gonna say about that.

Last edited:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
-Most of the world is morally grey- but the good guys are definitely left leaning. As in, not into a Fascist State.
You mean, not into an Authoritarian State? You don't have to be "left leaning" to be against that, just libertarian ;)

Last edited:

Tao

Savant
There are a lot of things, in a quick thought i can tell you:

-Most of the High Ranks in the game are hold by women, except for the "bad guys".
-Most of the party are women, the men are Barik and Lantry (and they are emasculated in every conversation in which one of the other female companions get involved).
-They keep saying nobody know Kyros gender but is clear that Obsidian wanted a woman. Almost all the dialoges refer to Kyros as her. Tunnon and Sirin are especially anal about that and they are the most trusted source in the game so far. Still the game keeps that as not clear, so whatever.
-Women are the ones to own land and properties outside ships, boats and other sea related business. But as i said, is was nicely explained and well placed in the context of the world
-Beastribe are really Beastwomen tribe: they are the alphas (and Prime), the bigger and stronger gender in a species that only care for those traits. Again no a real in your face, but the propaganda keeps adding.
-The daughter of Ashe is the manual text of a woman "liberating" herself from pratriach. I maybe read to much here but the whole quest felt stupid and incoherent.

You just have to play the game. The are a lot of little things as the general tone is political correctness everywhere. Think of a Bioware game but isometric and with some thought behind the propaganda. That was my impresion.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Eb is deliberately intended to come across as a man-hater though:

<ActorDirection>Her misanthropy has been confirmed, trashing on the Overlord 'obviously' being a dude with a little penis.</ActorDirection>

I assume the writer meant "misandry" here.

Deleted member 7219

I've completed my first playthrough (Disfavored - then betrayed everyone at the end), and I'm already several hours into my second playthrough where I am trying to help the Tiersmen.

Word of advice - the stuff at the start where you make choices in the conquest is really important for determining how the rest of the game pans out. If you really screw someone over it is likely you won't be able to get their help at all later in the game.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
There are a lot of things, in a quick thought i can tell you:

-Most of the High Ranks in the game are hold by women, except for the "bad guys".
-Most of the party are women, the men are Barik and Lantry (and they are emasculated in every conversation in which one of the other female companions get involved).
-They keep saying nobody know Kyros gender but is clear that Obsidian wanted a woman. Almost all the dialoges refer to Kyros as her. Tunnon and Sirin are especially anal about that and they are the most trusted source in the game so far. Still the game keeps that as not clear, so whatever.
-Women are the ones to own land and properties outside ships, boats and other sea related business. But as i said, is was nicely explained and well placed in the context of the world
-Beastribe are really Beastwomen tribe: they are the alphas (and Prime), the bigger and stronger gender in a species that only care for those traits. Again no a real in your face, but the propaganda keeps adding.
-The daughter of Ashe is the manual text of a woman "liberating" herself from pratriach. I maybe read to much here but the whole quest felt stupid and incoherent.

You just have to play the game. The are a lot of little things as the general tone is political correctness everywhere. Think of a Bioware game but isometric and with some thought behind the propaganda. That was my impresion.

I think it's kinda hilarious that the game is making such a big deal of portraying tough women in positions of power that it comes off as trying too hard. Only the Disfavored marshall came off as pretty level headed, but they just had to write every other female leader to act like a foul mouthed cunt.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I've completed my first playthrough (Disfavored - then betrayed everyone at the end), and I'm already several hours into my second playthrough where I am trying to help the Tiersmen.

Word of advice - the stuff at the start where you make choices in the conquest is really important for determining how the rest of the game pans out. If you really screw someone over it is likely you won't be able to get their help at all later in the game.
Is it a direct consequence? You receive a huge boost on relations with certain factions depending on the choices you made but can't you make it up by kissing their ass with more dedication?

Lambach

Arcane
Think of a Bioware game but isometric

And it's not just shit writing and general SJWness either, even the combat feels like isometric BioWare. The abilities are all just so bland and unimpactful it feels like playing an isometric Mass Effect 2 with swords. Even PoE's spells and other abilities were more fun, varied and actually useful.

Deleted member 7219

Is it a direct consequence? You receive a huge boost on relations with certain factions depending on the choices you made but can't you make it up by kissing their ass with more dedication?

Some, you do, but I buddied with Disfavoured in the conquest, then chose to ally with them in Act 1 which locked in choices in the rest of the game, especially with people like the Bronze Brotherhood. I guess I should amend what I said to "Conquest + Act 1".

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Well, on rebel path you can be buddies with Bronze Brotherhood if you did not go there in conquest (in that case they still run the city). I wonder if it is still possible if in conquest player was the one to kick them out of Larian's Crossing.

Latro

Arcane
So I hear Kyros also goes by "she, her". Thank you Obsidian for acknowledging a full year of my insults towards this game calling it "Tranny", I truly feel like i've accomplished something in life now.

Deleted member 7219

So I hear Kyros also goes by "she, her". Thank you Obsidian for acknowledging a full year of my insults towards this game calling it "Tranny", I truly feel like i've accomplished something in life now.

I get from your special badge that you are a retard, so this is really for the benefit of other people here who aren't mouthbreathers.

Kyros is either a man, a woman, or a brother/sister or husband/wife duo who are running things together. Nobody really knows (except the archons, who are frustratingly vague) and that's what makes the character interesting. Lots of ground there for a sequel.

Latro

Arcane

I get from your special badge that you are a retard, so this is really for the benefit of other people here who aren't mouthbreathers.

Kyros is either a man, a woman, or a brother/sister or husband/wife duo who are running things together. Nobody really knows (except the archons, who are frustratingly vague) and that's what makes the character interesting. Lots of ground there for a sequel.
Uh excuse me, you must be unaware of the hundreds of words I've dedicated to my epic new fantasy where Trannies win.

Really like the game so far. (About 10 hours into it)

The combat is great!
Don't understand why People whine about the system.

The combos are awesome, the animation amazing, there's ton of equipment to gather or buy and the magic system is great!

The only minus for me is the lack of variety of enemies.

The plot is good so far, the NPC's that you can join forces with are great, with cool backgrounds.

The side quests are OK so far (some better some boring)

The graphics are great (really like it!!!)

And the dialogs are excellent!

So, to sum it up:
I really like this game!
Obsidian did a great job!!!

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Well, on rebel path you can be buddies with Bronze Brotherhood if you did not go there in conquest (in that case they still run the city). I wonder if it is still possible if in conquest player was the one to kick them out of Larian's Crossing.
I made the choice to hand the town to Disfavored, and after killing all of them @ Lethian Crossing I didn't have any new dialogue option with the bronze brotherhood at that camp. Maybe a scripted moment pops up later but got bored and uninstalled.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom