Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Dev Log #49: Temporal Manipulation

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Stygian Software; Underrail; Underrail: Expedition

Styg has published a new development update for the upcoming Underrail: Expedition expansion. This one introduces a new psionic school that the expansion will add to the game called Temporal Manipulation. As you might imagine, its abilities revolve around the manipulation of time and speed. Here are the details:

Hi guys,

In the expansion, we'll be adding a new psionic school called “Temporal Manipulation”, which will primarily feature delayed damage and buffing/debuffing abilities.

This psi discipline will, probably more than any other, will function well as a support skill that can be incorporated into other builds, rather than a primary skill around which a build is made, though I have no doubt that some of you will find a way to prove me wrong.

Here are the abilities:
  • Temporal Distortion - Places a debuff on the target that lasts 1 turn and deals mechanical and energy damage when it expires. In the case the target is already affected by temporal distortion, its duration will be increased by 1 turn and damage by 25% and the newly applied temporal distortion will have the same duration and damage bonus. Damage dealt by this ability ignores shield and 50% of damage resistance and threshold. This ability cannot critically hit.
  • Psycho-temporal Dilation – Reduces target's action points by 15 and movement points by 50. Lasts 2 turns.
  • Limited Temporal Increment – Reduces all remaining cooldowns by 1 turn.
  • Entropic Recurrence – Repeats the percentage of the last unit of damage taken by the target over 3 turns. This damage ignores shields and resistances. In cases when the original damage was very slight, the recurrence may actually empower it.
  • Psycho-temporal Contraction – Increases target's action points by 15 and movement points by 30. Lasts 2 turns.
  • Temporary Rewind – Reverses the last damage done to the target, up to certain amount depending on the skill level. After two turns this health is lost and this may cause the target to die.
  • Precognition – While this ability is active, your chance to dodge and evade attacks is increased by certain percentage depending on skill level (additively). Drains 25 psi points every turn.
  • Stasis – Places the target in stasis for 2 turns, making it immune to all damage and most disabling effects, but also preventing it from acting. While in stasis, the target's status effects will not progress (except the stasis one), but the cooldowns will.
That's about it. Let me know how you guys like the new psi school.​

Pretty loopy stuff. I think this update might satisfy some of the people who were upset about the last one.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Although the new abilities look kinda dull, the birth of a new Psi school is an extremely good news, since there were only 3 in the game to this date. So great work, Styg! I think the new abilities combined with the old ones will have interesting results.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Although the new abilities look kinda dull, the birth of a new Psi school is an extremely good news, since there were only 3 in the game to this date. So great work, Styg! I think the new abilities combined with the old ones will have interesting results.

To be honest, Underrail doesn't need more Psi schools. The main reason is that this "magic" system was not well-thought-out and as a direct consequence Psi builds in Underrail are easy mode.

I really don't see the appeal in adding extra abilities which will make the player even more OP. But whatever. We will get what we will get.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

To be honest, Underrail doesn't need more Psi schools. The main reason is that this "magic" system was not well-thought-out and as a direct consequence Psi builds in Underrail are easy mode.

I really don't see the appeal in adding extra abilities which will make the player even more OP. But whatever. We will get what we will get.

I agree, Psi is fairly easy, but more schools could also allow you to be more creative or add to the game's replay value.

Tigranes

Arcane
See, this kind of stuff justifies a new playthrough. It does make things ez, but being able to fuck around with things is still added value.

Severian Silk

He could also incorporate time into the plot, kind of like OoT.

Tao

Savant
I assume we dont get more skill and stats points too? I'll love to invest in psy but i dont see the charm in losing so many good stats and skill point (plus the 25% hp penalty) for a few tricks unless going heavy/full psy.

Maybe i am too much in love with my Assault/Sniper Commando

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
And furthermore, will it be possible to combine Stasis and Temprary Rewind on yourself, and by doing so negating the damage completely? :D

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

As far as I remember, I posted there something like "I want just new locations to find and explore" and future addon exactly what I asked for. )
The only thing I need is map. :D

Which is good and I'm quite happy that we get new locations.

In fact I only complained about the new Psi class - I have no interest in playing another Psi build. Look at the new abilities - they are somewhat meh.

I would rather see proper ending slides. Probably I'm retarded but I feel like shit when the game is unable to acknowledge my decisions in the ending slides.

However this is too much for local autists who cannot into reason. Any criticism to Underrail must be bad criticism. Right!?

This is pointless. I will buy the DLC in any case.

himmy

Arcane
He could also incorporate time into the plot, kind of like OoT.

Absolutely. And maybe he should also change the title of the game to reflect the new mechanics. Maybe about the dizziness you get after using this psy school. Like some sort of vertigo caused by timelapses.

epeli

Arcane
I thought Kodex Kooldown Krowd would be all over this update. Oh well, I guess that meme already died.

In fact I only complained about the new Psi class - I have no interest in playing another Psi build. Look at the new abilities - they are somewhat meh.

I would rather see proper ending slides. Probably I'm retarded but I feel like shit when the game is unable to acknowledge my decisions in the ending slides.

Any improvements to the ending slides will come in a base game patch rather than the expansion. Don't worry, they haven't stopped working on it.

But why complain about new stuff? It's not like you have to go full psi to use those and even if you don't want to use them yourself, at least you'll still get some more variety in encounters.

Drowed

Arcane
Give me a map, Styg, and I will buy 4 copies and will gift my frients to convert them to Stygcism. I mean it. :salute:

Diggfinger

Arcane
Absolutely love Underrail. However, playing the Forge and Gauntlet one after the other, I realize that it definitely has donkey ass-sucking sub-par areas

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom